Subaru Outback Forums banner

Naive question from earnest Subaru devotee

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  nipper 
#1 ·
My '95 Outback is hovering at about 92Kmiles. I probably put on no more than 8K miles a year...with the vast majority of the miles coming from in-town driving, punctuated by occasional long interstate trips. If I have the wherewithal to purchase a lower mileage used Subaru, should I? I have no problem with providing scheduled maintenance on my current car...but wonder if I am anywhere near the point where eventual repairs/maintenance warrant the purchase of a "newer" Outback with lower miles. Would the build quality be an issue?
With regular maintenance, is there any reason I can't step up the amount of reliance and longer trips may wish to take with my trusty Outback and trust on the excellent record most higher mileage (if I even qualify for this category) Subarus tend to have?
Thanks for your feedback!

#3 ·
From a purely financial standpoint, the least expensive path in car ownership is to drive something old until something too expensive to be worth repairing breaks. But that does not consider how much of a pain in the a$$ an old bucket of bolts can be.

If your present car is coming up short in satisfying your needs, get a newer one. If it is still doing what you need it to do, without maintenance being a problem, keep it. Remember, when you buy a "Newer" used car, you are assuming someone else's headaches. Good luck.

#5 ·
If you are happy with your car and you can t get a NEW one I d be hestitant to get rid of a good used car (yours) for the unknown.... Can you just keep your car a little longer until you can get a new one... Don t forget, you then would have a warrenty. No one can give you a certain outcome with the question you ask. You ll get some good advise but you have to make a choice and take the chance as no one can see into the future. Good question though. Best of luck to you!

#6 ·
My '95 Outback
95 EJ22 - one of Subaru's best engines. That engine is awesome and you'd be well advised to keep it. Most Subaru's you'd replace it with would actually be a downgrade in engine reliability. Here's what I would do to make it reliable:

Install a complete timing belt kit ($100 on ebay). Timing belt, tensioner and idler pulleys all need replaced at this age they are low on grease by now every time.

When you do the timing belt - also do water pump, cam seals, and reseal the oil pump (oring, tigthen backing plate screws).

I'd consider buying one of the 1997 Subaru remanufactured alternators new from Subaru for like $60 so you have a new alternator and store your old one in the trunk just in case!

#7 ·
More information and thanks from Opsimath!

To provide a little bit more information for those who requested it: My car has a stick and the 2.0 litre engine that came standard the year I purchased it (new). And, yes, I have and will continue to do maintenance by the book. Frankly, I think I am just trying to talk myself into keeping the car based on the comparatively low miles, anticipated repairs, and (justified) reputation Subaru (and its owners) have for keeping high-mileage cars on the road. Still, if there are compelling reasons to consider purchasing a newer used Outback I would like hear them. If there is a certain year or years in mind, please provide that information as well.
In the meantime, anyone wishing to put the new Subaru BRZ (in silica black, please) in my Xmas stocking is encouraged to do so.
My thanks to all for your feedback!

#8 ·
some folks have concerns about what vehicles in general may be like in the 2014 to especially 2016 year range due to upcoming 'black box' and CAFE regulations so, there 'could' be some concerns there. Either wait for the new technology if it seems attractive to you, or, plan on replacing a car in the next coupla years if you have negative concerns.

otherwise, it's almost always better to to drive a car until the wheels fall off if it still meets your needs.

#14 ·
Most cars already have the "black box." My 2003 Suburban does. It is a double edged sword. It can be used to prove you were in the wrong or in the right during an accident. It doesn't transmit any signals to Big Brother. That is what the microchip in your head does.

#16 ·
As someone who has both a 95 Legacy Outback & a 2012 OB, I say keep your car & just keep taking care of it!! You are the original owner who has done all maintenance on a car that is made to last. You can't be that! Why get a new one.

I like my 95 better than the 2012. The 95 handles much better, doesn't have the cross wind problem & w/ the rear seat up the cargo depth is more w/ the 95 than w/ the 2012!

I would give up the new car before giving up my old one!

#18 ·
Rust is the only real killer of subarus, well that and trees, dear, and floods.

A well maintained subaru (you should do maint by the month not by the miles) and it will last a good long time.

If it has never been done you are long overdue for timing belt and seals. 1 month = 1000 miles wear and tear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.