traction: Audi vs Subaru - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I agree but how does TireRack tests winter tires traction? On an ice rink inside a building? How do you know that is, what they do? Also, haven't seen any "skinny" tires being offered by them. Everybody knows that skinny tires have better traction than wide tires on ice/snow because you get more weight per square inch with those... They may look funny but they work well. Americans are obcessed with wide tires just for the "looks"....but those are not very good in snow/ice conditions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Car: 07OBXTL/08LGT.B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
Everybody knows that skinny tires have better traction than wide tires on ice/snow because you get more weight per square inch with those.
Um...this is true only if the skinny tires are pressurized more. To first order, the weight of the car and the tire pressure together determine the area(s) of the contact patch(es). What's different between narrow and wide tires is the aspect ratio of the contact patch. HPH
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM

well yeah ... if you want to be really technical about it!
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
willing to entertain comments on this.
Audi A6 quattro vs. Subaru Outback on ice 2 - YouTube
Tire test not a car test
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Tire test not a car test
Exactly!
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Car: 2010 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
I agree but how does TireRack tests winter tires traction? On an ice rink inside a building? How do you know that is, what they do? Also, haven't seen any "skinny" tires being offered by them.
TireRack often publishes their results including videos with portions of the testing. The most recent winter tire test is here (controlled conditions on an ice rink):
Testing the Newest Studless Ice & Snow Winter Tires

Also, I am running slightly narrower tires than stock (215/70/16) that I purchased from TireRack. Not that I have proof that 1cm of section width (not tread width) is going to make a noticeable difference, but the physics makes sense and the tires and extra set of rims were cheaper anyways. What would you define as a "skinny tire" that would roughly suit the default Outback tire diameter that someone sells (or manufactures, even)?
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i CVT Limited, Nav+EyeSight
I was expecting/hoping to see both of their back bumper ripping off completely :-P
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV
...both manufacturers make great AWD systems...probably the best two in the world. For the comparisons to be close to having any validity you would need the two cars of both simialar size and weight, exact same tires, on the exact same course with the same driver. Variables such as tires, tire presure, driver skill...or lack thereof are just some of the things that could affect these comparisons. Best case would be to put them in an arena on the ice and do it there with some very controlled tests.

...and then the test would have to be peer reviewed...lol.

The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM

With the drivers swapping cars more than once with the data compared across the whole process.

Sedan vs wagon is improper Sedan vs Sedan - wagon vs wagon given yes weight distribution is different between the two. The Legacy is far stiffer and better at grip than the OB is.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statueim View Post
TireRack often publishes their results including videos with portions of the testing. The most recent winter tire test is here (controlled conditions on an ice rink):
Testing the Newest Studless Ice & Snow Winter Tires

Also, I am running slightly narrower tires than stock (215/70/16) that I purchased from TireRack. Not that I have proof that 1cm of section width (not tread width) is going to make a noticeable difference, but the physics makes sense and the tires and extra set of rims were cheaper anyways. What would you define as a "skinny tire" that would roughly suit the default Outback tire diameter that someone sells (or manufactures, even)?
I was referring to the "skinny tires" on Saab cars in the late 50s and 60s. People here were laughing at them but Saab kept winning all those races in Europe precisely because of the tires, that they had. They don't sell those anymore nor they are manufactured. Personally, I would get any tire that you can still put studs into them ... but I am afraid not that many States allow studs in their tires - if at all. I hate salt being put on roadways. In Scandinavia it's all studded tires (for most parts anyway...). Preople change rims with mounted tires each and every season, pretty standard in those woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: