traction: Audi vs Subaru - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
I was referring to the "skinny tires" on Saab cars in the late 50s and 60s. People here were laughing at them but Saab kept winning all those races in Europe precisely because of the tires, that they had. They don't sell those anymore nor they are manufactured. Personally, I would get any tire that you can still put studs into them ... but I am afraid not that many States allow studs in their tires - if at all. I hate salt being put on roadways. In Scandinavia it's all studded tires (for most parts anyway...). Preople change rims with mounted tires each and every season, pretty standard in those woods.
Damage to road ways due to studs has had pretty much every STATE in the lower 48 ban metal studs from public roadways anyway.

More or less it has become a wise call to simply stay home when conditions demand studded tires. Not out personal safety but due to too many idiots on the roads causing mayhem and limited rescue services to address the need. AKA your safer staying home vs getting taken out by an idiot and then freezing to death waiting for rescue.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Legacy Limited CVT Car: 2011 Outback Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Mazda MX5 GT 6MT Bike: 2003 Honda GL1800ABS ** Reunite Gondwanaland! **

Quote:

As far as traction, I think a SAAB with skinny winter tires with studs
and manual transmission could match any AWD out there!
OTOH, regarding reliability, we can be thankful that the scourge
of SAAB has finally been banished from planet Earth.

...please check the fuel and replace the gearbox,

Looby
2003 Honda Goldwing ... 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 . 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...... 6'3" H2
Looby is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looby View Post
OTOH, regarding reliability, we can be thankful that the scourge
of SAAB has finally been banished from planet Earth.

...please check the fuel and replace the gearbox,

Looby
And, there are still many "dubious" cars with the same reliability issues on the road here as well as manufactured here... at least Saab was "fun to drive" !
www.automotive.com/worst-cars/least-reliable-cars/page10.html
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

Quote:
I was referring to the "skinny tires" on Saab cars in the late 50s and 60s. People here were laughing at them but Saab kept winning all those races in Europe precisely because of the tires, that they had. They don't sell those anymore nor they are manufactured. Personally, I would get any tire that you can still put studs into them ... but I am afraid not that many States allow studs in their tires - if at all. I hate salt being put on roadways. In Scandinavia it's all studded tires (for most parts anyway...). Preople change rims with mounted tires each and every season, pretty standard in those woods.
The old dodge powerwagon pickups sold equipped for snowplow duty had skinny tires, as well.
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #25 (permalink)

Subiesailor:
Yeah... especially on that I-80 Truckee to Sacramento corridor....
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Subiesailor:
Yeah... especially on that I-80 Truckee to Sacramento corridor....
Chained up trucks on cold concrete not a good combo. I drove through there in August and nearly had my teeth rattled out of my skull. Though they have been replacing it the last couple of summers from Reno west crazy stupid narrow lanes. We hauled the 8.5 ft wide racing boat through there we had about 4 inches on each side pucker factor 10 going through there. $30,000 fiberglass racing boat vs concrete road work not a fun trip.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #27 (permalink)

Car: 02 OBW LLbean H6
Send a message via AIM to njdrsubaru

in my experience... i've had both cars... numerous Audi Quattros including one just like the A6 on the first video and countless outbacks...

The audi do really well in the snow... heavy cars, tanks, locking diff etc... but as far as ground clearance goes outback has it... i do prefer outbacks over any audi at anyday... simplicity, reliability and not to say repairs are wayyyy cheaper than an audi... i have had my outbacks out there in 2ft+ of snow and never had a problem, i have had my audis in the same amount of snow and i had more problems getting the car stuck than the outback...

sure that audi on the first video pulled the outback... its got lots to do that the audi is a MUCH heavier car...
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Premium

Last winter we owned both a 2002 allroad 2.7t and a 2011 Outback 3.6r. Both cars were equipped with studded Firestone Winterforce tires of similar size. However, the tires on the Audi had several seasons' wear on them. The cars have similar ground clearance with the allroad's air suspension raised to its highest level. Both cars are wagons of similar size, but the allroad weighs about 400 pounds more. Both had traction control turned off.

My wife and I both thought the Subaru went up our deep snow covered roadway a bit better than the Audi. I think that if both had the same amount tire tread then it would have been a tie.
ob2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob2011 View Post
Last winter we owned both a 2002 allroad 2.7t and a 2011 Outback 3.6r. Both cars were equipped with studded Firestone Winterforce tires of similar size. However, the tires on the Audi had several seasons' wear on them. The cars have similar ground clearance with the allroad's air suspension raised to its highest level. Both cars are wagons of similar size, but the allroad weighs about 400 pounds more. Both had traction control turned off.

My wife and I both thought the Subaru went up our deep snow covered roadway a bit better than the Audi. I think that if both had the same amount tire tread then it would have been a tie.
Finally - we are talking "apples with apples" comparison. Thanks ob2011 ! That is what was thinking as well.... So it comes down to prices; Subaru is still I don't know how many Ks cheaper! And cheaper on maintenance and repairs as well....You are lucky to live in the State, where they allow studded tires....
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob2011 View Post

Good friend loves his Allroad 5spd MT 2.7 so much so he has spent over $2500 rebuilding the air suspension and another $3000 rebuilding the engine and replacing the turbos. I recall he said it was around 150,000 miles this last summer. Audi's are nice cars and come with a price if you plan on keeping them.

All the fuss about the silly HG leak on the Subaru Forms those people would have a STROKE and go postal on the local Audi dealers if they ever owned one. LOL

Much of that work he did him self by the way....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: