H6 vs 2.5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default H6 vs 2.5

Which is better an H6 or 2.5? I constantly hear people with 2.5 having to replace the HG or swap the motor out. And that the H6 doesnt have problems with the HG or having to change the timing belt every 105k (correct me if im wrong). The transmissions are the same in 2.5 and H6. The mpg's are off by 1 or 2. Is this true?
dontfitinstandout is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

question has been asked a thousand times, generally better to read what's already been said. depends on the end user ultimately, each engine has it's good fit.

the H4's get better gas mileage and they are the only ones offered with a manual trans. the H6's can do well and not seem far off from the H4's... i get 27mpg on one particular trip on back roads at 55 mph. but, here's what i find - the H6 looses that mileage quicker than the H4. in other words at 70mph i think the H6 (or maybe it's just the bigger, heavier vehicle/engine) takes a larger hit and decreases quicker too. to say it another way - it's easier to get like 21 mpg in an H6 than the H4's. clear as mud?

yes - H6 is timing chain and so far seems to have fewer headgasket issues.
H6's tossing rod bearings is also rare.

They are not the same transmissions. H6's don't have the manual trans as an option. For certain years the H6's are the only engines offered in VDC models so in those cases the transmissions are different. But in terms of driving and reliability - no, not much of a difference. The H6 and/or VDC trans are more rare and costly to replace. Newer stuff starts to transition into CVT's, so that comes into play depending what yera you're looking into as well...new or used?

I prefer the H6's due to the headgasket and rod bearing issues but that's also dependent on many factors so keep reading and make the choice that's the best fit for you.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

If you're talking about a new Subaru, Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.. Outback, Legacy, Forester, WRX, STI, Impreza, Tribeca, BRZ, XV Crosstrek and this sticky is worth looking into:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...-research.html

here's a H4/H6 thread:
2.5i vs. 3.0, A Buyer's Question

here's a 40 page version:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...-6-cyl-40.html
Old 12-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

I'd agree with Gary. There are some of us here who swear by the H6 engine (myself included), but many others (the majority, actually) are content with the H4.

On the newer ones, there should be no reliability differences, but on the older ones you have to worry about HG issues with the 2.5.

Other than reliability on the previous generations, it basically comes down to transmission options, gas mileage, overall price, and whether or not you want more power than the H4 has to offer.

In addition to the two Gary posted, there are probably dozens and dozens of other threads on the same topic...enough to keep you occupied for hours!

I'd think it wouldn't be a bad idea to close this thread since the topic never goes well, but that's up to the mods of course.

New one:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport
Bone Stock for Now
jp1203 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight

Very pleased with the H6 in my 2013 Outback.
147_Grain is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord of ScoobyMods

Car: 01' OB Wagon / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5

The H6's tranny also has VTD which isn't available in the H4 Outback. It comes with the VDC tranny also something that will not come with the H4 as mentioned.

I've had a number of both H4 and H6 motors. Right now I have an H4 in a 2001 OB and the 3.0H in an 06' Tribeca and the 3.6 in my 01" Legacy. I like the H6 myself, the newer version (3.6) seems to get about the same MPG's as my older H4 at this point.

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
Peaty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
The H6's tranny also has VTD which isn't available in the H4 Outback. It comes with the VDC tranny also something that will not come with the H4 as mentioned.
That depends a bit on the year and specific model. My 2004 LL Bean, for instance, doesn't have VTD or VDC. All 2005+ H6s have VTD as far as I know.

New one:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD Sport
Bone Stock for Now
jp1203 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
In addition to the two Gary posted, there are probably dozens and dozens of other threads on the same topic...enough to keep you occupied for hours!

I'd think it wouldn't be a bad idea to close this thread since the topic never goes well, but that's up to the mods of course.
This sums it up nicely.

There are DOZENS of threads on this...and they rarely manage to stay civil for some reason.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: