OutBack vs V70 - Page 5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #41 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Funny!
Most I've ever talked to say they are extremely reliable & yes are more expensive to repair but for the most part dont have many issues?
Either way I will not buy new!
It will be 5 to 10 years old most likely.

From my research they seem to go for about the same price as the used outbacks....
Yet to be honest I'm not crazy about the plastic body panels they added to the XC's yet.... suppose I could get use to it?

I still wonder if they are 100% equal when it come to flat towing them?
Then do your self a favor look up engine failure due to oil starvation in v70. Any shop that does repair work on volvo knows they have some of the worst electronic components in the auto industry. I own a VW Toyota and a Subaru. Far from a all Subaru type. My custom high end shop buddy threatened me with bodily harm if we ever got a Volvo due to the horrid electronic components he has spent days rebuilding and replacing for the local dealer who farms out the problem cars to his shop.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #42 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja

subiesailor - you must be kidding, right? Volvo by far has not such a dubious reputation as you are saying. As a matter fact some of V70s had much better reliability record than VW. Most Volvo's electronics in designed by Bosch and Ate of Germany. So, by your conlusion, Bosch and Ate are the worst electronic components in the auto industry. LOL ... 80% of fuel injection components in European and Asian cars are designed and made by Bosch or Ate (including your OB)!
I had quite a few Volvos in my lifetime; they are on par with most European makes - average!
Any shop that does repair on VW (I guess with the exception of S.F. Bay area) can tell you the pathetic reliability of the VW, especially those, assembled in Mexico. I traded in my 2010 Tdi VW SportWagon for Subaru few years back because of continuous petty "electronic" problems. My wife's Passat was in and out of VW shop for years - with petty electronics problems. The dubious award for worst electronics (other than Lucas) goes to VW, in my opinion!
Cars (any cars) are like women - if you take care of them they last a long time! LOL
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
subiesailor - you must be kidding, right? Volvo by far has not such a dubious reputation as you are saying. As a matter fact some of V70s had much better reliability record than VW. Most Volvo's electronics in designed by Bosch and Ate of Germany. So, by your conlusion, Bosch and Ate are the worst electronic components in the auto industry. LOL ... 80% of fuel injection components in European and Asian cars are designed and made by Bosch or Ate (including your OB)!
I had quite a few Volvos in my lifetime; they are on par with most European makes - average!
Any shop that does repair on VW (I guess with the exception of S.F. Bay area) can tell you the pathetic reliability of the VW, especially those, assembled in Mexico. I traded in my 2010 Tdi VW SportWagon for Subaru few years back because of continuous petty "electronic" problems. My wife's Passat was in and out of VW shop for years - with petty electronics problems. The dubious award for worst electronics (other than Lucas) goes to VW, in my opinion!
Cars (any cars) are like women - if you take care of them they last a long time! LOL
Who Ever said VW was considered reliable? I sure as **** never said that...

If you think the old Volvos are the same as the newer cars... LOL only person your kidding is your self.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #44 (permalink)

My point is that Volvos do not have the "worst" electronic components in auto industry.
When in comes to VW - I misread your post, sorry my friend!
And, likewise, I never said that Volvos are the same as newer cars...LOL... no kidding myself here....
Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #45 (permalink)
gls

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i

The Volvo design, while extremely safe, it outdated from a driving dynamics and ergonomic perspective. As the auto business becomes more and more competitive, Volvo didn't have the volume to spread their R&D around after they were sold by Ford.

If you add the high initial cost, plus the extremely high maintenance cost (of both parts and labor) , plus the poor mileage and lackluster performance of Volvos, you have a very limited market.

As a former Volvo owner, I loved the car but was always dismayed when parts cost 3x more than Japanese brands. Volvo was always the world leader in safety technology, but that gap is gone.

You can get an outback loaded for 30K, which is 10-15K less than a Volvo comparable Volvo, just as safe, drives better, and has a much lower cost of ownership.
gls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #46 (permalink)

I agree here; Volvo's R&D now depends on Chinese money and it is not what it used to be. I worked for Saab's R&D and we shared some testing facilities in AZ and CO for a while - testing future camouflaged prototypes. The labor costs in Scandinavia and Finland was (and still is) very high!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #47 (permalink)

jogosub: funny how I can not read your post without imagining an accent to match your avatar
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #48 (permalink)

I could change my avatar to a Viking (or a Moose) - but I like Osho better! LOL Why don't you put an avatar to your Blanco?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #49 (permalink)

Lol!
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #50 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.

Pretty sure Osho drove a Rolls... How to they compare to Subaru and Volvo?

2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, AWP. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch, 19mm RSB, coil SumoSprings on rear.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: