OutBack vs V70 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default OutBack vs V70

I've been paying very close attention lately & notice in areas where it snows, that I see 10X's the amount of Outbacks to Volvos wagons & am wondering is it just because the Subies are much cheaper to own or???

& then the next question is about mounting a tow bar on the front to tow behind my camper while traveling on trips..

Are OutBacks easy to mount a tow bar onto vs an Volvo?
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
I've been paying very close attention lately & notice in areas where it snows, that I see 10X's the amount of Outbacks to Volvos wagons & am wondering is it just because the Subies are much cheaper to own or???

& then the next question is about mounting a tow bar on the front to tow behind my camper while traveling on trips..

Are OutBacks easy to mount a tow bar onto vs an Volvo?
I'd say the XC70 is the competitor, actually...the V70 is to the XC70 what the Legacy Wagon is to the Outback (sort of, anyway...both Subarus have AWD standard).

I think it comes down to cost. Same reason you don't see as many Audi Allroads as Subarus.

I've always sort of liked XC70s, but as far as what you get for your money, I think the Outback wins out.

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean Edition No Nav, "Senior Citizen Gold" (Harvest Gold)
OEM Hitch | OEM Subwoofer | Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S | Window Tint | Black Carpet Swap
KYB Excel-G Struts ('04 Spec Rear, '05-'09 Spec Front) | Primitive 3/16" Front Skid Plate
jp1203 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Volvo parts and maintenance is expensive.
Are you planning to tow the OB with all four wheels on the ground? If so, 6 speed is the only option.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'98 BMW R1100RT-P
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
daily driver, '09 Harley Davidson FLHP
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback XT Ltd

If you plan to lease a new car and then get rid of it, you should consider the Volvo XC-70, but any European car will be a killer for parts and service after the warranty period is up. I've never owned a Volvo but I like the engineering. I just wish the interiors were not so boringly bland.

Subarus are cheaper initially; and in the long run they are trouble free and easier to service and repair. Plus you get AWD as standard, you don't have to buy an expensive engine upgrade. This is probably the main reason you see so many in snow country.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Old 12-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Volvo parts and maintenance is expensive.
Are you planning to tow the OB with all four wheels on the ground? If so, 6 speed is the only option.
Yes as far as towing the OB it would be flat towing, I'd only be trailer towing the rigs I plan to beat up to the point of possible breakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies View Post
If you plan to lease a new car and then get rid of it, you should consider the Volvo XC-70, but any European car will be a killer for parts and service after the warranty period is up.
The more I think about it I plan to buy used & maybe one from CarMax that comes with a warranty?
Pay a 80% down to keep the payment super low & help build the wife's credit back up?
But they don't sell older than 10 years & I prefer the older models yet would like some warranty to come with it as well.

I think CarMax does have that?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not in the finance business but I am guessing most lenders would not waste their time financing a vehicle with an 80% down payment.
The remaining 20% would be lost to depreciation.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'98 BMW R1100RT-P
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
daily driver, '09 Harley Davidson FLHP
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I'm not in the finance business but I am guessing most lenders would not waste their time financing a vehicle with an 80% down payment.
The remaining 20% would be lost to depreciation.
Well, whatever, the point is I dont want a big bill & would finance only in attempts to rebuild her credit, otherwise I'll just buy from a private party & be done with it.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

Cost, that's the difference.

If you are concerned about snow traction here's the order of importance:
1. studded snow tires
2. quality snow tires
3. cheap snow tires
4. AWD

of course #4 with any of the others is the best option.

A FWD with studded snows is a machine.

Be a long time before I own German...and I suppose European though I'm less familiar with Volvo's. I like inexpensive, reliable, high mileage vehicles. Subaru does that the best for my skill set. I can totally see why someone would want German cars, they are typically decked out, trimmed, and drive, perform, and handle unbelievably well so they have a great feel. They accomplish all that at the expense of other things I care more about.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6 Premium

My understanding is that any 4th-gen ob may NOT be towed a significant distance with any wheels on the ground (2 or 4).
ob2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
Cost, that's the difference.

If you are concerned about snow traction here's the order of importance:
1. studded snow tires
2. quality snow tires
3. cheap snow tires
4. AWD

of course #4 with any of the others is the best option.

A FWD with studded snows is a machine.

Be a long time before I own German...and I suppose European though I'm less familiar with Volvo's. I like inexpensive, reliable, high mileage vehicles. Subaru does that the best for my skill set. I can totally see why someone would want German cars, they are typically decked out, trimmed, and drive, perform, and handle unbelievably well so they have a great feel. They accomplish all that at the expense of other things I care more about.
Volvo's is not German, They're Swedish.
Volvo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

& I'll never run Studded tires being I live in LA, Snow/Mud sure & I'd only get the AWD version of either car.
Yet being this will become the wife's main car I'd like a safe car & the Volvo's do have a great rep for being safe in a accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob2011 View Post
My understanding is that any 4th-gen ob may NOT be towed a significant distance with any wheels on the ground (2 or 4).
Why is that?
What did they change that allows the others to be a better choice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: