Operating outback with damaged, partially closed tailpipe - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Operating outback with damaged, partially closed tailpipe

So day 2 of hurricane Sandy, got rear ended, driver of other car took off.

Left and Rear of vehicle sustained damage, did not recognize exaust talepipe was 90% closed from the hit. I know, I know, i feel stupid, but lots of stress, family lost a house, we had no electric, and my mind was somewhere else and wasn't thinking why i had loss of power (acceleration) in vehicle.

So i drove the car for 2 weeks, with the exhaust like this (see photo). Insurance of other party (people were caught), will pay for everything cosmetic and new exhaust - BUT could have caused long term damage to engine running the car on highway 60-70mph over 2 weeks like this? This is my first Subaru, i plan on keeping it another 8 years if i can, i love the car, but what is likelyhood of issues arising down the road?

Thanks for any thoughts or insight you can provide, this is a 2011 Outback 4cyl (premium).
Attached Thumbnails
Operating outback with damaged, partially closed tailpipe-capture.jpg  
outbackcrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Doubt it would cause any major damage running it like that short term. Engine heat being the biggest issue but you would have noticed that. We have had two cars in the family with plugged exhaust systems factory screw up oddly enough both were Fords. LOL - one ran lousy till we finally figured out what the issue was engine didn't seem to be bothered by it longer term. The other one was run for over 85,000 miles with a strange engine temp not hot but not normal either. It went to many dealers none of them could find anything wrong. Then one day our last effort to get it sorted some old grizzled shop rat says which engine is that? The 451 Windsor I bet you all $100 they put the wrong **** exhaust gasket in it at the plant and half the ports are blocked! **** of that old shop rat was right! Ran great for another 120,000 miles except the rest of the car was falling appart around the engine. LOL
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

just chiming in to agree with s'sailor

actual 'area' of blockage shown may only be 50-60% and , unless you drive at WOT a lot, may not have been an issue at all, or only momentrarily. Plus, folks with clogged cat convs sometimes have no other problems than needing a new converter.

depending on the forces and direction involved, there could be 'hidden damage' to exhaust gaskets or even cracked manifolds I guess, but a good collision shop will know what to look for. You might consider searching Yelp or Angie's List to begin searching for a good shop.

post your city in case someone here knows of a good shop.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for fast replies, i really appreciate it! I was paranoid to the point of getting rid of it, and buying a new one...
outbackcrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback XT Ltd

I agree that you most likely haven't damaged anything, though your fuel economy was probably pretty dismal with the exhaust so restricted. You are lucky that you didn't need a burst of power - you could have ended up having an accident.

Here is an article on excessive back pressure. Read it and you will be reassured that all is well in your car. .... Exhaust Backpressure

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Some people intentionally install exhaust restrictions...

'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: