New to Subie - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Subie

I am a potential Subaru buyer, I always do an extensive amount of research before making a large purchase I'm a bit nerdy. But it has come to a stand still, So I figured why not ask OB owners....

I have always driven Hondas, and I have never owned anything with AWD. I am looking into the OB for a few reasons. 1) I have 2 Siberian Huskies that I would love to be able to take to the snow and on camping trips, 2) Kids are coming into the picture in the next 2 years, 3) General life changes, tired of driving a coupe and not being able to accomplish simple tasks like buying mulch in large quantities, etc

After driving the OB, I admit I like it ALOT . The ride is excellent and the room is incredible. I'm not sure how I feel about CVT because I have always driven manual transmission vehicles

In real world situations:

What are the advantages to CVT VS Manual?

How does the leather OR cloth hold up with pets?

How do the interior materials hold up to high levels of heat during the summer, and lowers temps in winter/fall?

Are the crash tests ratings available online? (haven't been able to find them)

Are repairs fairly decently priced?

I've heard that the advertised MPG isn't entirely accurate?

I am sure there is more I can not think of. I would like to say thank you in advance for any advice

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 PM

Car: 2011 2.5 Outback 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindr82 View Post
I am a potential Subaru buyer, I always do an extensive amount of research before making a large purchase I'm a bit nerdy. But it has come to a stand still, So I figured why not ask OB owners....

I have always driven Hondas, and I have never owned anything with AWD. I am looking into the OB for a few reasons. 1) I have 2 Siberian Huskies that I would love to be able to take to the snow and on camping trips, 2) Kids are coming into the picture in the next 2 years, 3) General life changes, tired of driving a coupe and not being able to accomplish simple tasks like buying mulch in large quantities, etc

After driving the OB, I admit I like it ALOT . The ride is excellent and the room is incredible. I'm not sure how I feel about CVT because I have always driven manual transmission vehicles

In real world situations:

How do the interior materials hold up to high levels of heat during the summer, and lowers temps in winter/fall?

I am sure there is more I can not think of. I would like to say thank you in advance for any advice

Cheers
CVT = Slightly better mileage, no shifting, smooth ride, probably not as many potential issues as old regular transmissions. I drive manuals, so I'm not entirely sure here otherwise, perhaps someone else can elaborate...

I've got cloth seats and dogs and they've held up really well so far!

Interior materials are always nice and as expected in my Outback during all the four seasons of Utah. Again, just my experience.

Crash test ratings....not sure, Subies are safe, lots of airbags, solid cars, lots of stories of owners here and on their own website detailing how they really like how the car helped them to survive an accident and live to post here again.

Repairs...mine's an '11, no repairs yet, but from what I've seen, most Subies are fairly easy to work on and repairs don't come close to those of Euro company cars.

MPG, I've always gotten much better than my window stick claims. Drive it well without mashing the pedal and whatnot, and you'll be amazed at how well these cars do with gas, specially on the open road, or sub (constant) 55MPH speeds (like driving around Yellowstone National Park; I got amazing mileage in my several days there and barely had to top off afterwards)

Hope that helps!! Let me know if you have other questions.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 AM

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i believe you're confusing the MPG claims not being achieved with the impreza. i average 29-30 with my '11 outback 2.5i. my wife averages about 33 with her '12 impreza. lots of people complain about that, not so much with the outback. also until recently i only drove manual transmissions, now i love automatics, CVTs are even better. my dog stays in the back but i have neoprene seatcovers, so the cloth vs. leather is up to you. the crash ratings are very high. people have subarus for years, mine will probably be my daughter's first car(she's 2 now). all repairs get expensive, but even consumer reports listed subaru as the most reliable cars on the road, yes they finally top honda. ive owned lots of cars, i would never let a family member buy anything else unless they win the lottery.

who cares about resale value? this is an outback, not getting something else til at least 200k miles!

i have a few parts that aren't supposed to be there...

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...r&id=1&aid=774
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. I really did enjoy the ride and Im sure my pups would love to go more places with me.

Does anyone know if the "wood grain" of the interior is able to be removed and/or changed out? If I get the limited that is literally the only thing I am not a fan of. I know its silly
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 AM

Car: 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP
Send a message via AIM to ScottyNorq Send a message via Yahoo to ScottyNorq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindr82 View Post
Thank you for the info. I really did enjoy the ride and Im sure my pups would love to go more places with me.

Does anyone know if the "wood grain" of the interior is able to be removed and/or changed out? If I get the limited that is literally the only thing I am not a fan of. I know its silly
Yes. Several people on here have switched the wood grain for the aluminum look pieces. You can probably trade someone on here.

2013 3.6R Limited with SAP, All Weather Mats, Puddle Lights, Remote Start, Body Side Moldings, splash guards, Wheel arch moldings, rear seat back protectors, bug shield and wheel locks.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Car: 2013 Limited w/EyeSight
I can't make judgements on a car I've been driving for 5 months like I can with the ones I drove for years but it's great so far. We got one a year earlier for my mother in law. Her's has had nothing but balancing tires and oil change.

We found the car to be the only game in town if you want high traction conventional wagon or car that can replace SUV.

The many gen 1 - 4 Outbacks in my circle of mountain bike and ski associates seem good. My bro's 2004 has been good.

They don't have quite the polish or perfection of a Honda or Toyota but also have a better price.

You (OP) probably need to hone your web search skills. I found tremendous amounts of information on the car prior to my purchase and the crash ratings were just headlines in major newspapers.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
CVT = My wife can drive it too

Quote:
I like the cloth with kids. They don't have sharp claws, so I'm not sure which would be best. Do your pets sit in the seats, or in the cargo area?

Quote:
My car is too new to tell yet... but my 2005 has held up well, but developed a few squeaks and rattles.

Quote:
Subaru Performs Strongly In Rigorous New IIHS Crash Test -- CHERRY HILL, N.J., Dec. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Quote:
I think it depends on your mechanic or dealer. I'd say the AWD will add to the long term repair/maintenance costs of any car.

Quote:
Again, I'm still in the early miles and won't comment. I expect to get 30mpg downhill in a tail wind, and more likely expect 28 hwy, 23 city.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM

Car: 2013 Outback -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
my dog stays in the back but i have neoprene seatcovers, so the cloth vs. leather is up to you.
Hey - What neoprene covers did you get? Link? Price?

Thanks,
FFN
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to go ahead and start the process I'm hoping to have the car soon. Anyone have any tips on getting the best price?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited-NAV-Eyesight
I just bought a 2013 2.5 Limited this week. I actually had a hard time getting the dealer to budge a whole lot on the price because the cars sell regardless of price. I managed to get about $1000 off sticker, but thats all they would do. I did get them to throw in a few small options though. One thing that I didn't do that I wish I would have was to use TRUECAR.COM. They tell you what you should pay, and have negotiated partners that will sell it for that price. It may be worth checking into.

Also, for your pet delima, I would just recommend getting the seat back protectors, and then fold down the rear seat for the pets. Then, you don't have to worry about the seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: