Towing with my 2.5 4 cylinder - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Towing with my 2.5 4 cylinder

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but here it is again. From a newbie.

I'm a new Outback owner and want a little advice on the towing/ cargo carrier capacity of my new Outback. I know the vehicle is rated to 2700lbs. My question is from a practical weekend warrior perspective. Will I have any problems towing a small 500lbs trailer with another 250-500lbs worth of gear in it? I can't imagine it would be any different than a cargo carrier on the top loaded down or a hitch hauler with gear. I just want your feedback from experience and opinions.

Thanks in adavance!
SCCO9803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Graphite Grey 2.5i Limited

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and the general consensus is with that small of a trailer, you won't even know its back there.

The only thing I was cautioned on was that if towing in the mountains with a trailer on the heavy end of the rating, you may need to watch your engine and transmission temps.
WIBrewDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback XT Ltd

Hi and welcome to the forums. Search SUCKS here, so the easy way to find stuff is to enter a Google query like this:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...w=1012&bih=568

Enjoy your Outback and don't worry about that light load unless you are driving straight up Mt Killimanjaro...... but make sure you carry a spare tire for the trailer, and a complete pre-lubed hub with bearings, (or else bearings and grease, and the tools to change the parts on the side of the road). The hub will cost very little, and if your bearings seize one day, 50 miles from any town, you will thank me for the advice. ... http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs...r/34822BX.html

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja

SCCO9803
You have not mentioned if you have OEM hitch or if you have added aftermarket one... aftermarket hitch (with 2" square) has a bit higher weight rating....
jogosub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
SCCO9803
You have not mentioned if you have OEM hitch or if you have added aftermarket one... aftermarket hitch (with 2" square) has a bit higher weight rating....
I don't believe this is true. Even if the hitch itself is rated for a higher weight the car is not. By exceeding the trailer weight and/or tongue weight limits identified by Subaru you will likely void the warranty if something bad happens. Actually, looking at how the aftermarket hitches are installed as compared with the OEM hitch my gut feeling is that the OEM attachment method is stronger. Regardless, always follow manufacturer's towing limits.
vtmecheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are a lot of threads on this subject elsewhere on this forum... SCCO9803 also did not say what "new" Subaru is he/she buying - new 2013 or "new" to him/her.
There may not be a warranty issue... but, generally I agree with you vtmechng. However, people generally ignore these limits unless you rent one from a rental agency.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's new to me and also new from Subaru 2013. The hitch is an after market one installed by the local hitch and trailer company in my town. I'm not concerned about manufacturer limits as I'm only planning to tow half of that limit. I just wanted to know what people's experiences or recomendations are.
SCCO9803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have an aftermarket as well (from U-haul) but I mainly use it for my bicycles... I had an aftermarket U-Haul on my 2010 Forester XT as well and I followed the hitch specs, when towing U-Haul trailers/moving boxes - but - likewise, I never exceeded the limits.
In my opinion (contrary to vtmecheng) I think aftermarket hitch is attached to the car better than the OEM hitch.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: White 2011 Outback 3.6 R Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by john e davies View Post
hi and welcome to the forums. Search sucks here, so the easy way to find stuff is to enter a google query like this:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...w=1012&bih=568

enjoy your outback and don't worry about that light load unless you are driving straight up mt killimanjaro...... But make sure you carry a spare tire for the trailer, and a complete pre-lubed hub with bearings, (or else bearings and grease, and the tools to change the parts on the side of the road). The hub will cost very little, and if your bearings seize one day, 50 miles from any town, you will thank me for the advice. ... Trailer Hub Assembly - 2,000-lb Axles - 4 on 4 - L44643 Bearings Dexter Trailer Hubs and Drums 34822bx

john davies
spokane wa usa
+1 !

Mods; King springs, hood deflector, window vents, 2" Hidden Hitch, transmission oil cooler, seat-covers, Tanabe strut bar, 19 MM RSB, Primitive skid plates, K&N air filter, tinted windows, blacked out foglight surrounds, Wheel arch moldings.
OutbackUFO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
SCCO9803
WRONG
In the case of the Subaru all 1 1/4 hitch and 2 inch hitches are limited to the cars specs. 200lbs tongue weight 2700lbs max flat towing mild temps.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: