plastidip black grill - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2013 OB limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
plastidip black grill

To anyone contemplating this mod... DO IT. The grey grill is fugly, and this is idiot proof.
There is a great youtube video on removing the grill; took 5 minutes. The only thing not clearly described is removing the pop clips; lift the center part first, then they lift right out. Once the grill is out, disassemble it to isolate the grey part, including the 2 chrome-plastic trim pieces at the top. once apart, plastidip the grey grill and chrome pieces. i put on about 8-9 thin coats to coat thoroughly, several coats from the back to get in the crevaces. dried for several hours, reassembled, and reinstalled. the chrome Subaru emblem is part of the black base piece, so you don't need to tape it off to retain it if you disassemble the grill.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black grill.jpg
Views:	20360
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	28061   Click image for larger version

Name:	compare.jpg
Views:	20790
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	28062  
mcinimod likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 AM

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
That does look nice

Wonder if it would look as good on my light-blue outback...? I really like the look on the red.

2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 AM

Car: 13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
I wonder the same for my silver sometimes. Looks great on dark outbacks. My silver one isn't too much of an eyesore cuz it kind of matches.

-Peter

2013 Outback Premium w/All Weather Package
6-Speed Manual
Ice Silver Metallic

Added: All Weather Mats, Auto Dimming Mirror, Body Side Molding, Rear Bumper Protector, Rally Armor Mudflaps, 19mm Rear Sway Bar

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM

The front of the black one sure looks better.

'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, LS3
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
Looks nice, although I think the big black fog surrounds make a big difference too. The silver surrounds blend the silver grille, and woud look a little out of place with a black grill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 2.5i Outback - CVT - 2" Hidden Hitch - Sunroof - HERS

2006 Forester XS - 5MT - Sunroof - HIS

Subies of Past:
'98 Impreza L Coupe | '05 Impreza RS | '08 Legacy GT
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

Car: '02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
How much of the plasti-dip product did you use, and how much did it cost? I ask because I am interested in using it to cover the gray parts of my 02 OBW. I have always wanted my car to be monochrmatic, and this product appears to be a good solution. There is a shop not far from my house that will actually do it for you, and they also are a dealer of the Plasti-dip product. Trying to get an idea of how much I would need to purchase, and the cost. I could get it from them, but if I can order direct from the manufacturer, it should cost less.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Car: 2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
That looks pretty good. How does plastidip hold up to rock chips?

R o b _D.
Current car: 2013 TB/BC Subaru Outback, 2.5i Premium 6mt
Before you start a new thread, please search first! Learn how

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Car: 2012 OB 2.5i Premium
Nice work I did this a while back and love it. So far, I have done the front grille, fog lamp enclosures, and the rear emblems. All came out great. Here are some pics.

boxterfan67 - To do the grille only you'll only need 1 can of black plastidip. All of the stuff I did was less than 2 cans. $7 each.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Car: 2011 2.5 Outback 6MT
Anyone got a pic of this one a White OB? My grill does have a chip or two in it and would'nt mind getting rid of the silver look. I've got the base model so no worries on the fogs for me, until I can find some fogs cheap at a salvage yard. But that's a different conversation
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Car: 2006 Outback XT
[QUOTE=JordanMayPhoto;525336]Nice work I did this a while back and love it. So far, I have done the front grille, fog lamp enclosures, and the rear emblems. All came out great. Here are some pics.

how do you do the emblems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: