Dealership service prices - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Dealership service prices

So is there any way to get official prices from a dealership for performing certain maintenances? I just think Im getting sc***ed by my dealership for the work I had done.

I took my car in for check engine light. Said they needed to change spark plugs which would cost $570 for the Outback H6. They also had said prior to bringing it in, that they would not charge the diagnostic fee if I had the fix (which was the sparkplugs) done there. Then the service rep, tells me they are charging me because of the extra diagnostic work they had to do or that I made them do. By the way, CEL came back on the next day.

So after I got a flyer from another dealership advertising the cost of $376 to change spark plugs on an H6, I decided to call another dealership. Their charge $356. All these prices include parts and labor. I then call up my dealership and ask another service rep and they tell me $436 and I make sure its for a 6 cylinder.

So I call up the Service Dept manager a) about getting charged the diagnostic fee and b) the disccrepancy in my price. He says thats what the going charge is and I ask him why I was quoted $436 over the phone then? He says the service rep must have gotten it wrong. Then also says if I "want to split hairs", will give me back my diagnostic fee. Apparently were all made of money these days.

The fee I was charged seems outrageos and now comparing it to other dealerships, I feel like I was really just raked over the coals. So hence my question if there is any way for me to get proof of what they charge for this type of service versus getting some answer like "thats what we charge"?

Thanks
rory535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

As far as I know, most dealers are "franchised" dealers and they set their own pricing depending on location and local wage scales...
The only pricing that may be uniform are charges that dealer is allowed to charge back SOA for warranty work. Anyone out there may either confirm my conclusion or dispute it...LOL
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

honestly, prices are all over the place.

for example, how much does a timing belt cost???

dealer A... $500.

dealer B... $850.

---

service provider A only does the timing belt.

service provider B does the belt and all the tensioner this-and-that along with pullies this-and-that and bearings this-and-that, blah blah.

---

so, with out really knowing what is being performed for just the 'basic' service compared to what all should be / could be done... prices can and will be all over the place.

i know... it's happened to me.

i now try to research research research before okaying any work to be done.

also, it helps to know what you think might be the problem so you can ask questions questions questions.

i can not do my own work - engine, trans, etc... so, i rely on service departments both indies and dealerships.

but i try to research before going in.

forums like this are full of info and people... people with tons of opinions - ha!!!

joel

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2006 Outback 2.5

WTF !!!!

Where do you live? !!! $ 570.00 for sparkplugs !!! OUTRAGEOUS !!!

I have a LL Bean H6 Subaru charged me $ $ 230.00 Job takes about 90 minutes and plugs I got were Platinum tip.

Thats right .....the Subaru dealership $ 230.00. I would have done myself but they are a PITA to do.

Even if you had to drive an hour or so to get your car serviced at a good resonable place....its well worth it.

If you lived in Texas I know of an outstanding tech to go to.....CARDOC !!!!

Good luck and let me know where you live....area.....
subaruman49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

No freaking kidding! And of course the Service Manager trying to make out as if it was chump change! San Diego.

Gotcha thanks! Its what I figured. I'll just suck it up to a valuable learning experience!
rory535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
As far as I know, most dealers are "franchised" dealers and they set their own pricing depending on location and local wage scales...
The only pricing that may be uniform are charges that dealer is allowed to charge back SOA for warranty work. Anyone out there may either confirm my conclusion or dispute it...LOL
i would agree with you!

joel

Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory535 View Post
Gotcha thanks! Its what I figured. I'll just suck it up to a valuable learning experience!
now you're ahead of the game... meaning, you've been beat up and you will do whatever you can to get the work done that you need and not get charged any more than needed - at least, crossing fingers!!!

also, about the diag fee.

i did not address that in my previous rant - lol.

i would go back and get a credit!!!

use it to fill up the gas tank or something.

also, you mentioned that the problem still exists????

if so, that sucks and they will not credit you for the repair... they will simply say, there is another problem.

let's diag it for you and if you get the repair done we will waive the diag fee - sound familiar????

try to find a good local indie shop. in my experience they are easier to work with as long as they are personable

good luck.

joel

Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

I still would contact SOA in New Jersey.. That value customer service/loyalty as a high priority.
And I would post a thread on a Indy shop in your area that specializes in Subaru...and NEVER go back to that " stealership" again....of course you knew that already..
Good luck.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

YELP it ! That's one of the places that you can write up your experiences....bad one or good ones!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey JAvendan.....you live in San Diego as does rory535.......

Please tell him where you go to get your work done.

We share rory535 pain...as we have ALL been thru this ....at sometime or another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: