Body Integrated Unit? What is it? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Legionairre

Car: 07' OBW Silver AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Body Integrated Unit? What is it?

hello...very new Subie owner, love the 07 Outback 2.5i. But recently, the car, when from a full stop to approx 10 miles/hr on acceleration you hear a click or something like an electronic relay in the shifter gate. When you slow down, to below 10 miles/hr you'll hear the click again. Anyone else have this problem? I brought it to the dealer and they told me it was the Body Integrated Unit and needed it replaced, what does that control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Hokey Pokey Champion

Car: '05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
The Body Integrated Unit seems to be a secondary computer of sorts to the ECM. It controls things like the air climate control, windshield wipers, power windows, immobilizer, display gauges - essentially, everything electrical that doesn't directly control the engine.

I'm not sure what the click is, but the good news is, the BIU is easy to replace & it's under warranty...let us know if they can tell you anything else about the problem.

When the Winds of Change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Legionairre

Will do...taking her in tomorrow...i'll find out more and post the details...thx.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Legionairre

apparantly not easy to replace...had to take out the dash on my car. still in the shop for 2 days now. Is it that difficult, picking the car up tomorrow and will keep pdates.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Hokey Pokey Champion

Car: '05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
Hrm...that's not what the service manual says. Says you remove the instrument panel lower cover (under the steering wheel) and there it is...one clip to take it out, one harness to disconnect. Should take a Subaru tech all of 2 minutes.

I'm having the blower motor for my heater replaced Thurs and they really do have to take apart half the dash to do that. They said they could do it in under an hour while I wait.

Not sure what you're dealer is up to, but I'm suspicious to say the least.

When the Winds of Change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Legionairre

That's what I thought too....I'll ask tomorrow...kind of suspicious, been bothering me too. Thanks for the update JazzyMT, glad you have the service manual. I will post and let you know.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Legionairre

Got the car back today. Seems the mechanic had some difficulty of some sorts, and had to look up the service bulletins. Anyhow, i questioned about how long it took (2 full days) when it should've been a "2 minute" job. Speechless...a lot of umms and ahhs. To top it off, forgot to reconnect my wiper de-icer relay, ignition illumination ring and scratched up my shift gate frame and made little indents on the heat seater controls! The clicking noise is now gone as they said it was a short circuit in the relay causing the "clicking" noise in the gate. Told me it also enabled you to shift out of Park to Drive without stepping on the brake first. thx again JazzyMT for the info!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Legionairre

The problem has come back...sounds to me like a solenoid engaging in the shifter box? Anyone with some ideas? The things is, it now only makes a clicking noise when I decelerate just before i come to a stop it clicks, or when I reverse past 3-5 mph. I've also tried it with the manu-matic and it only clicks when it downshifts automatically from 2 to 1st. anyone...getting very frustrated. thx!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm Not Slash...yet.

Car: 2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal / 2002 Outback Limited - Timberline Green
Send a message via AIM to FMGreen
I don't know, but I'd surely recommend finding a different dealer.

Did they ever replace the parts that the scratched/damaged last time?

www.FMGreen.net If you can't keep it clean, keep it green! www.FMGreen.net
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 08:53 PM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by yyz2nyc
The problem has come back...sounds to me like a solenoid engaging in the shifter box? Anyone with some ideas? The things is, it now only makes a clicking noise when I decelerate just before i come to a stop it clicks, or when I reverse past 3-5 mph. I've also tried it with the manu-matic and it only clicks when it downshifts automatically from 2 to 1st. anyone...getting very frustrated. thx!
yyz2nyc

The “click” is probably the shift lock solenoid. The solenoid prevents the shifter from being moved into Reverse when the car exceeds, or drops below, about 6mph, or being moved out of Park when the brake pedal is not pressed. This is explained in the Owner’s Manual in the Starting and operating section (“Selector lever reverse inhibiting function”).

The solenoid is located on the left side of the shifter mechanism in the front center console.

I tried to see if there was a noticeable sound in my 07 (4000 km). I did not start the engine; rather, with the windows closed and the car in my garage (i.e. for a quiet environment) I turned the key to ON, attached my seatbelt and waited until the various checks were completed. At that point the shift lever could not be moved out of Park. When I pressed on the brake pedal, the shift lever could then be moved to the other positions. This indicates that the shift lock solenoid is mechanically working when it should, at least as far as the Park/brake pedal interlock function is concerned.

With the lever in Park, I listened carefully as I pressed and then released the brake pedal. I could hear only a faint noise, a very muted, dull, thud in the console area. It was certainly not something I would hear with the engine running or out on the road.

The shift lock solenoid itself acts on a lever that in turn either allows or prevents the shift lever from moving.

I would suggest trying the static test (quiet area, ignition ON, in Park, brake on and off) I described above, which, by the way is from the service manual. If you can duplicate the loud clicking as the brake is pressed and released, then I would tend to suspect the noise is coming from the associated mechanism; in other words, it’s caused by mechanical parts that are not exactly where they should be, or some insulating material (perhaps a bushing) is missing. It could be just a small adjustment. Unfortunately, access to the solenoid does require disassembly of the console area once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: