Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/)
-   General Discussions (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/)
-   -   2015 or 2016 Outback? (http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/87618-2015-2016-outback.html)

Subaru Watch 12-03-2013 12:08 AM

2015 Outback - Motor Trend prediction

For those who did not or chose not to read the Motor Trend article, here is the punch line:
"New spy shots reveal substantial updates for the heavily redesigned wagon-like crossover that should separate it from the current model, which first went on sale in 2009"

This is confirmation that the 2015 model is a body and soul redesign.

Read more: Camouflaged 2015 Subaru Outback Prototype Spied on Public Roads

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyL (Post 906098)
The last major change was with the 2013 model, with the new FB25 engine, updated CVT and improved suspension. For the next few years the changes should mostly be cosmetic, and possibly in the packaging of features. There is a thread about a 2015 being spotted. Overall size and shape seems very similar to current model:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...k-spotted.html

wave9x 12-11-2013 12:23 PM

I am also in the same boat. There is a 2014 Outback SAP+Eyesight 3.6 arriving at a dealership near me next week, basically the exact Outback I want. Now I am wondering if I should hold off until next month when/if they show the new model at the Detroit Auto Show and see if I like it. But if I wait I may miss out on this car as it seems the 3.6 is pretty rare, especially one with SAP in the color I like.

If Subaru dumps the 3.6 for the 2.0T+CVT then I would rather get the 2014 with the 3.6. But if they keep the 3.6 in the 2015 then I will probably want that. It does seem unlikely they will keep it (sadly), given the direction of the industry.

What do you think the chances are of Subaru keeping the 3.6 in the 2015 Outback?

MiddleAgeSubie 12-11-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave9x (Post 1149162)
I am also in the same boat. There is a 2014 Outback SAP+Eyesight 3.6 arriving at a dealership near me next week, basically the exact Outback I want. Now I am wondering if I should hold off until next month when/if they show the new model at the Detroit Auto Show and see if I like it. But if I wait I may miss out on this car as it seems the 3.6 is pretty rare, especially one with SAP in the color I like.

If Subaru dumps the 3.6 for the 2.0T+CVT then I would rather get the 2014 with the 3.6. But if they keep the 3.6 in the 2015 then I will probably want that. It does seem unlikely they will keep it (sadly), given the direction of the industry.

What do you think the chances are of Subaru keeping the 3.6 in the 2015 Outback?

Obviously, I do not know, but I too fear that the excellent 3.6 may be reaching the end of the line...I will try to think aloud here. The current 3.6 came from the Tribeca where it replaced thd inadequate 3.0. While the Tribeca could still use some more torque, the match of the 3.6 with the OB is spot on. Now, the Beca is out. A new 7 pax Subaru will not show up for another two years. There is no sense whatsoever for Subaru to develop a brand new engine for the Tribeca replacement alone. Backing that up by cross-using it on the low volume top Ob, as until now, makes sense. Therefore, it stands to reason that we might get another great powertrain, hopefully a bit differentiated for the 7 pax. This cannot possibly be the inadequate for anything larger Forester 2.0 l turbo, or so I hope. What I want is a 6 cyl, but what I expect is a larger turbo engine, especially given all the criticism Subaru took for the Tribeca mpg. What I fear is a complete downsizing, but that would doom the 7 pax, again, so there is a good chance it won't be that sad. Unless, of course, the new 7 pax is nothing more than a van with a terrific awd...

Therefore, to me the Detroit show, where my wife and I first fell in love with the 06 B9 will show us where subaru wants to go not just OB-wise, but also 7 pax wise. What was shown in Tokyo as a 7 pax crossover will hopefully not come to the US...

To try to address your original question, the 3.6 might stay as a placeholder until the new 7pax engine is ready. But I am no engineer and I do not know if that would make any sense or be even possible.

subiesailor 12-11-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaru Watch (Post 1125218)
For those who did not or chose not to read the Motor Trend article, here is the punch line:
"New spy shots reveal substantial updates for the heavily redesigned wagon-like crossover that should separate it from the current model, which first went on sale in 2009"

This is confirmation that the 2015 model is a body and soul redesign.

Read more: Camouflaged 2015 Subaru Outback Prototype Spied on Public Roads

I see nothing that would suggest a major redesign - its the same Gen4 it might have different sheet metal ie fenders and door skins etc but its the same vehicle minus any minor changes in looks. You guys won't be seeing any major change in design for a long time. The 09 Legacy / Outback design was based on the same vehicle Subaru sold in 2000. In Subaru years the GEN4 is still brand spanking new in terms of Platform age in Subaru years.

MiddleAgeSubie 12-11-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subiesailor (Post 1150450)
I see nothing that would suggest a major redesign - its the same Gen4 it might have different sheet metal ie fenders and door skins etc but its the same vehicle minus any minor changes in looks. You guys won't be seeing any major change in design for a long time. The 09 Legacy / Outback design was based on the same vehicle Subaru sold in 2000. In Subaru years the GEN4 is still brand spanking new in terms of Platform age in Subaru years.

All I know is that I hope you are right! What you say certainly makes a ton of sense to me. But there is the big question about what will replace the 3.6.

benamin 12-11-2013 06:35 PM

might be wishful thinking but I believe the 3.6 will be around awhile yet. They have room to make it more fuel efficient so I think they will improve it before dropping it.

And like SubieSailor says, in Subie years its a brand new engine.

awd-gg 12-12-2013 12:02 AM

subaru kills the turbo powered OB (XT) a few years ago because NO (very little people) is buying it... Your OB crowds is a little different that Forester.... so, my money is the 2015/2016 OB will not be offered in a turbo Engine (2.0 DI turbo like the Forester)....

Just ask yourself(H6 owners)...would you have gotten the 2.5 OB XT instead of the 3.0 or 3.6R?

The H6s (3.0 or 3.6) is still in great demand... Just look at the used car market, Theose cars got sold almost as fast as they comes into the market...

MiddleAgeSubie 12-12-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awd-gg (Post 1151306)
subaru kills the turbo powered OB (XT) a few years ago because NO (very little people) is buying it... Your OB crowds is a little different that Forester.... so, my money is the 2015/2016 OB will not be offered in a turbo Engine (2.0 DI turbo like the Forester)....

Just ask yourself(H6 owners)...would you have gotten the 2.5 OB XT instead of the 3.0 or 3.6R?

The H6s (3.0 or 3.6) is still in great demand... Just look at the used car market, Theose cars got sold almost as fast as they comes into the market...

You surely do have a point! Indeed, I had altogether forgotten about the XT OB...which, of course, supports your point. I also second your observation about the resale values of H6--insane! (My wife and I chose the 2013 OB over the Tribeca together. I leaned OB, she leaned Tribeca. What decided the call were financials: a slightly better deal on a 3.6 Limited plus the well known resale values vs. an outgoing poor seller (still, we are looking at used Tribecas...;) have a 1995 Legacy to replace, someday:D).

Your observations have given me new hope; now let's see what OB is revealed in Detroit.

jevans 12-13-2013 04:54 AM

I'm in the same position as Wave9x - unfortunately we don't get the SAP in Canada, so I don't get a chance at the brown interior - stuck with the standard black. Local dealership has a few 3.6s left, so anxiously waiting for the debut to figure out the engine choices… if the 3.6 is still around (even with CVT), I'll wait until the '15 is released, if not, I'll grab a 2014 and see what happens in a few years when the lease is up on my '14 FXT.

The 2.0DIT with the CVT is fine, but will be using the Outback for any longer travels and i would prefer to have a 6 than the turbo 4.

A few months ago, I had a '09 Outback XT for me and my wife has a '11 XC70 T6. I sold the Outback as it was a manual and my wife can't/won't drive one. I have a summer car, so I basically got the FXT as the winter vehicle… I already miss the Outback. Like I said, the FXT is fine, but I don't enjoy driving it like I did the Outback. We are now looking at selling the Volvo as the dealership is horrible to deal with - it's a beautiful car but she's fed up… So will replace with an Outback, but she has gotten used to the power hatch, cooled seats, etc… I know the 2014 lacks a lot of the features of the Volvo, so will be curious to see what happens with the 2015...

Übergeek 01-28-2014 11:28 PM

I would wait for the new 2015. As a 2010 owner, I can safely say, this has been the best vehicle we have ever owned. VERY pleased, and we have put it through every test and condition any vehicle faced. Desert driving through Nevada and Arizona temps over 120º, and safely got us home through -45º below Wisconsin blizzards. Absolutely love the CVT,Subaru Lineartronic CVT, which the Outback has had since 2010. Beginning with the 2010 model year, the 4-cylinder Outback uses a continuously variable transmission (CVT) which has no gears. In very simple terms, it's a fantastically durable steel belt that moves along a cone. The fatter part of the cone for speed, the narrower part for power, very smooth and powerful. The steering wheel paddle shifters were a godsend through the mountains of Arkansas, and Colorado. Room, well designed, and solidly dependable. Designed for safety, even more than our former Volvo, it was chosen as a Top Safety Pick according to IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety). That being said, we are VERY excited with the new options that are rolling out in 2015. We were even in the showroom, ready to purchase a new 2014, but when we heard about the new features, we declined. The new Outback is going to be one of the most advanced vehicles this year, sporting features only found on the higher level Mercedes, and Audi. I urge you to check out reports, you will be very glad, for time well spent! here are two links for you.

2015 Subaru Outback Release Date, Specs, Changes & Rumors - The Next Cars

Next-gen Subaru Legacy and Outback spied in Europe - Photos