Anza Borrego Desert - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2013 subaru outback 3.6R limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anza Borrego Desert

2nd time visiting Anza Borrego.

Pictures are from the second day, Fonts Point - Vista del Malpais - 17 palms - pumpkin patch. took me about 5 hours or so. (the first day we did 'the slot' hiking and camped in Tamarisk grove campground.)
Mostly sandy wash. on my way to vista del malpais(trail called 'short wash'), sand was very deep. I even passed a abandoned stuck mini-van, kept the momentum and outback did just fine.

I planned routes using Google earth, exported as klm files and imported them in GaiaGPS($19.99) app. The app is great, you can pre-load maps and layer google earth routes on the map.

Borrego springs

short wash to Vista del malpais

17 Palms (can you spot the outback?)

Arroyo Salado Trail

Pumpkin Patch

My outback is 2013 3.6R Limited with new Yoko Geolandar ats tires.
also equipped with Yakima loadwarrior(+extension), full size spare tire on top.
after this trip, i'm thinking about getting skid plates. no damages but scraped bottom a few times.

hope you enjoy the pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Car: 2005 3.0 5AT Outback
Awesome pics, awesome terrain - I would love to embark on an adventure like that!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited
sweet pics. 1st one belongs in a Subaru catalogue!! I would watermark these if I were you
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 PM

Car: 1997 SVX Bordeaux 2012 OBW 6 speed 1992 SVX Ebony 1992 SVX Claret
Beautiful pics. I spotted the Outback way off in the distance.
What was the temperature?
Is that a fence line at the back of The Pumpkin Patch?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Hi Blacky,
in the afternoon, it was around 81~85, with a slight breeze, it was very comfortable. this winter is unusually dry and warm i think.

and yes, pumpkin patch is in the middle of Ocotillo wells vehicle recreational park, so it was fenced all around.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 AM

Car: 2013 OB 3.6R
Nice pics! PM me, if you want, if you ever come to AZ with similar plans.

One observation and one question for you:

Skid plates. I got Primitive Triple Armor. Impressions after little use:

-Eats 0.5" of ground clearance not counting the heads of bolts.
-Definitely reduces the stress/increases the pleasure.
-Effect on ground clearance in real life is unclear: on the one hand, there is a bit less to work with from an already low starting point. On the other hand, I find myself more willing to go to the clearance limit now. In any case, I am fairly determined to get some sort of lift to at least return to 8.7 (and increase lowest unprotected point to 9.2).

Spare tire: Did you try fitting the full-size spare in the donut's place? Is there anyway it can fit? Say, if it is deflated+sitting higher thus eliminating the storage space between donut and cargo floor? I figure if it fits I can order one tire shaved to 9/32 and call it a day (assuming I should be fine with up to 3/32 difference between it and the others). Also what wheel are you using for it?

Thanks in advance

2013 Outback 3.6; 2008 Tribeca
(2006 B9 Tribeca; 1995 Legacy)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Hello MiddleAgeSubie,
I'm thinking about primitive triple armor as well, I dont think I mind too much about 1/2 inch loss. is it easy to install? did you have to drill any hole to install plates?

when I had a flat tire, I put the flat in the donut well, it kinda fitted in it, slightly raised the trunk panel. even if you deflate tire completely, you have to remove styrofoam storage piece, and end up using trunk space for my recovery gadgets(tow strap, air pump, flat tire fix, etc.) I'd rather remove donut and use the extra space for storage.
plus, it'll take forever to inflate completely deflated tire.

I bought a used legacy aluminum wheel for $150. it's still more expensive than new steel wheel but it's much lighter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 AM

Car: 2013 OB 3.6R
Thanks, so basically it could work, but would not be very practical as a permanent solution. Wheel: I guess I will go with a steel wheel. Do you rotate all 5?

The Triple Armor is easy to install though I do not do things myself. No drilling required. The dealer agreed to do all three for 100+tax. Of course, they first asked for something like 25. Since I pay with Subaru rewards, it cost me the tax on 100$. I was there watching--seemed really straightforward and fast. The only one that requires you to be careful is the rear differential plate--it is explained in the instructions. The parts fit perfectly, no adjustments have been necessary. I was a bit worried about having a plate under the transmission during 4 months of 100+ temps but the mechanic said not to worry.

2013 Outback 3.6; 2008 Tribeca
(2006 B9 Tribeca; 1995 Legacy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: