Subaru Outback Forums banner

BoxerWerks: Projects

54K views 156 replies 17 participants last post by  Boxerwerks 
#1 ·
My buddy and I are Subaru nuts. We both have Imprezas and do most of our own work.

Last year we both needed space for our stuff so we rented a garage.

Fast forward to the spring and I needed another car so I picked up an 08 Outback.

Unfortunately I didn't even own it for 4 hours before I started messing with it.

So my buddy decided he wanted one as well so he went and got an 05 XT.

We took that to the Adirondacks since it wasn't lowered, and that trip was the impetus for our current deluge of projects.

Here's some of the stuff we have been working on.

See less See more
#2 ·
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Modifications
--------------
Aesthetics:

Lamin-X Fog Light Film
35% Window Tint
3M Scotchprint Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Grille
3M Scotchguard Paint Protection Film

Interior:

LED Courtesy Bulbs
STi Auto Shift Knob
Shift Boot
BoxerWerks HydroGraphic Trim

Electronics:

Gentex AutoDim Compass Mirror
Alpine Touch Screen Navigation
Reverse Camera
Bluetooth
Sirius XM
Digital Video Recording System

Convenience:

Rear Cargo Shade
All Weather Trunk Liner
All Weather Mats
Cargo Net

Suspension/Chassis:

Legacy GT Dampers
Legacy GT Springs

Rollers/Stoppers:

OZ Alleggerita HLT 18x8
Cross Drilled Slotted Rotors

Performance:

High Flow Resonator
Legacy GT Mufflers
BoxerFab Hybrid Intake

------------------------------------
Winter Mode:

Cross Bars
BoxerFab Cargo Basket
Hidden Hitch Class III Reciever
BoxerFab Tow Ring
ARE 16x7 Speedster 42mm offset

2008 Outback Dampers/Springs
1" Strut Lift

#3 ·
2005 Subaru Outback XT Limited

Aesthetics:

BoxerFab Grille
Lamin-X Fog Light Film

Interior:

Rostra Bluetooth

Suspension:

KYB Front Dampers
KYB Rear Dampers (2004 Outback)
2005 Outback XT Springs
BoxerFab 2" Strut Spacers
BoxerFab 1.5" Body Lift Kit
BoxerFab Extended Dog Bone
Megan Rear Adjustable Control Arms
Megan Adjustable Lateral Links

Rollers/Stoppers:

2005 Outback XT Wheels
Cross Drilled Slotted Rotors

#10 ·
Starting with the 08 Outback

I drive a lot, so I spend quite a bit of time in the car staring out the window. This was the second place I started to make improvements after lowering the car.

I added LED courtesy lighting in place of the stock bulbs.

I wanted to replace the silver but didn't want to just spray paint it so I tried water immersion transfer printing.

The STi Knob looked lonely so I modified a shift boot to clean up the look. I also sprayed the dash trim a satin black.

I needed some basic functionality not available in my car so an Alpine Navigation, Bluetooth, SiriusXM Tuner and a Reverse Camera were installed.

Also added more carbon fiber hydrographic print.

Do to the miles I drive I added a DVR, the Compustar Dash cam which also adds as security recorder when I'm away. This helps with inevitable accidents.

Lastly I added a cargo cover and some cargo nets to keep work stuff secure.

#15 ·
That looks totally bad*ss. Not my taste...but bad*ss...
I went with the carbon fiber print because it's linear. If you can get the pattern to look good on curved surfaces you have perfected the technique!

I'll switch it up the print next year when I make some changes to Summer Mode.

#17 ·
Continuing with the 08 Outback,

I wanted a little more power and sound so I started at the intake and worked my way back.

I wanted to keep the stock air box to avoid a MAFV spike. The 2.5 Impreza intake was close but not close enough so I chopped it up and added some couplers I had around the shop.

I've been running it for a few months and it works great. I'll make it pretty in the spring.

Next I swapped out the resonator,

and modified some Legacy GT sedan mufflers to work on the Outback.

Next on the list is an unequal length header, so I made a jig.

#19 ·
#21 ·
Also did the front brakes, still need to do the rears.

I wrapped the grille in 3M Scotch Print carbon fiber film, as I didn't have the heart to hack up my only grille.

Did some various repairs on the interior and resprayed the chipped roof rail.

And lastly got some 3M Paint Protection film courtesy of Attention to Detail in Middletown, Ct.

That's most of the moderately interesting stuff done to the car since I bought it in the spring.

Most of what I post for the 08 from this point on will be for its Winter Mode as I get ready for the snow.

#22 ·
Now on to the 2005 Outback XT.

After we took the XT to the adirondacks it was glaringly obvious that A) All of the suspension from the dampers to the bushings were shot, and B) that the 8.6" of ground clearance wasn't quite enough.

So we started on the suspension and brakes.

#23 ·
Unlike the 08, the XT doesn't get lowered seasonally so we had the opportunity to go a little higher. One issue with that is that there aren't many comprehensive options out there to lift the Outback more than an inch or so.

So we developed our own.

That's it so far.

#24 ·
I see you got the Megan Everything. I have both lower arms, the stock control upper with the WhiteLine camber kit. All 3 will be challenging for the alignment shop. Unless you are doing it yourself. With the lift, you need all three. I have a young tuner/type that works at Firestone where I have my lifetime. It took several times and now he knows the drill. But no one else can touch it...or they're into it for hours...and confused.

I actually have engraved rotation arrows on the nuts and links..so he, or others don't forget. Otherwise, this happens.

Very nice work...

Attachments

#30 ·
First brought it home.

Bucket wash

1.8L

Sprayed the interior Satin Black

Most people cut if the front of the car to fit a radiator. I choose a cleaner install so I modified the bumper support

Still stronger than the Jdm piece.

Made a y pipe

Griffin Radiator

Just need to finish up the plumbing, change out the crank sensor and the O2 sensors.

#35 ·
With the temperature dropping as fast as my bank balance, I'm trying to get the Outback ready for winter.

Considering my small budget I made the best of what I could since tires, mount balance and alignment are a majority of my discretionary spending.

For the tires a want a larger sidewall so I'm repurposing my ARE 16x7 wheels.

To accommodate a meaty tire I fabricated a set of 1" spacers.

I want a trailer at some point, and I have and idea for a new project so I needed a hitch which I found locally.

Also wanted a roof basket, but the monies...

#37 ·
#39 ·
@bradze, is online here right now,...somewhere he listed the exact catalog he got the buttons out of. His wife has apparently not beat his @ss for putting a wench power button on the dash. (...supposed to be for a winch). I will see if I put a @ sign in front of his name he will see the post in the new format of things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.