8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM

Car: 2008 Outback Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rightline tent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula_Hoop View Post
What other options do i have for tents that attach to the back? I like that idea with what i have.Although i feel like my outback is significantly smaller than yours and it would look really saggy on the back of mine?

I've seen this guy driving around Asheville. Has a VW wagon w/ their logos on the car. Pretty sharp looking wagon. Not affiliated w/ them but I looked them up after seeing the VW.

Car Top Carrier | Truck Tent | SUV Tent | Car Back Carrier - RightLine Gear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula_Hoop View Post
What other options do i have for tents that attach to the back? I like that idea with what i have.Although i feel like my outback is significantly smaller than yours and it would look really saggy on the back of mine?
that's the only SUV size they have. I'd email DAC and ask about fitting your model year. worst case, order one and try to fit it. if it's too large, return it.

it does attach via shock cords so it has plenty of size range.
also, across the top edge, there's a fibreglass shock pole to thread across that edge to keep the top extended. I've not really needed to use that pole so it's not in there in my photo.
and if you're a bit handy, it wouldn't be hard to sew in a dart to take up fabric if you need to...

good luck with it. it's been super handy for me.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Car: 2012 Outback 2.5i prem., cypress green, cvt, body side molding, front bumper undergaurd, hood protector, popular pkg. #1a (auto-dim mirror w/compass, all weather mats, rear bumper cover, splash gaurds)
Wow...that is SUPER cool! I just ordered an Aliner Ranger hard-sided popup my self. It won't be here until mid/late March and I hate missing the winter surf here in Texas. Was considering just camping and sleeping in the back until the camper comes in, but was unsure how much weight the styro trays underneath would hold. I'm 5'11'', 195 lbs. Should support my fat butt, shouldn't it???

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Car: '16 Legacy Ltd 3.6R and '12 OB Prem, 2.5, CVT, Moonroof, 440W Sound System (not impressed),Yakima 16S Skybox, and a cool roof mounted raygun (cloaking device active) Kept the '00 Camry w/190K, Traded '01 Civic 5 spd w/70K - Crazy, huh?
Anchor Heavy Items?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Just be sure to anchor it down given a head on crash you'll be joined by some plywood trying to occupy your space up front. Similar idea for the camper shell trucks.
Nice work
I was all excited about creating a sleeping platform in my 2012 OB and then I saw your post. (I'm guessing grab handles wouldn't do, ha ha.) Is there anything that is already under the floor to attach to that is sturdy enough? Not looking to do any welding/drilling/tapping, etc.

This is only a concern while the vehicle is moving. I wonder if the rear seatbelts could be put to use? Hmm
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:30 PM

What about those platforms that connect to the top rack? I've seen those a couple times, I wonder if there are any that work for Outback or if it would be safe?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:48 PM

Awesome build man! I'm looking to do the exact same thing in my 2001 for climbing trips. How did you support the front section? It looks like the cargo area is basically a big plywood box -- do you just allow the front board to rest on that box and the front bench seat or is there some sort of structure beneath?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 PM

Car: 2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
I just completed a 4 day camp out in the very remote Nevada Blue Mass area at 8000 feet. Due to rain each night I slept in the 2015 Outback without incident and no damage to the foam underlay. The factory cargo mat offers sufficient support. I did same many times in 2011 Outback but much more cramptd. 2015 has very good comfort as I am 6'2'' and 240 pounds. I used a Thermarest self inflating pad and queen size down comforter and down pillow. Very cozy and good sleep. 3 others in Chevy 4WD slept in tent and were soaked.

Getting up during night is problematical. Low ceiling clearance makes using a wide mouth bottle comparable to a monkey humping a football!

Need to figure a way to turn off entry and liftgate lights so as to leave gate open or to open door without lights coming on. Kept left rear door clear with seat down as exit.
Shamous likes this.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 12:38 AM

Car: '11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My daughter and I sleep in the back all the time and the dog sleeps on the front seat. All I do is fold down the rear seat and I position the front passenger seat so I can remove the head rest so I have an area to put a pillow on. I'm 6'2" and my only complaint is no headroom when I sit up.

tired of a sore elbow from the hard plastic armrest? get a cover here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="6"]"a subaru without a hood scoop is just a car on its way to a LGBT rally."[/SIZE]
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 04:47 AM

Car: Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVdesertrat View Post

Need to figure a way to turn off entry and liftgate lights so as to leave gate open or to open door without lights coming on. Kept left rear door clear with seat down as exit.
Find the trigger switch and install a manual override switch wired from somewhere in the back that makes it easy to turn off and on.
A simple toggle switch should do the trick.

Stultus est sicut stultus facit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are Three kinds of people. Those who can count, and those who can't...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyOutback View Post
Find the trigger switch and install a manual override switch wired from somewhere in the back that makes it easy to turn off and on.
A simple toggle switch should do the trick.
I had added a handle in the back of my 2000 on the inside. It was a wire connected to a piece of dowel rod. When you pulled the wire, it pulled the lever that holds the trunk shut. Worked pretty well.

With the 2015 I can just use my key fob from inside.

KentuckyOutback likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: