0000 steel wool + windows = ? - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2010 3.6R Limited Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbleyard View Post
My detail dept. uses steel wool on car windows all the time. We mostly use it for paint overspray but it helps a little with water spots too. Some really bad spots can actualy be faded some but may never come completely out.
I've been looking for something that will take off water spots on my windows. Is the steel wool safe for tinted windows? I think I'm going to try this if its also safe on tinted windows. I don't have really bad water spots but would like to keep on top of it.
BLT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cheesehead

Car: '03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl

If by tinted, you mean applied film, this is on the inside, and no, don't use steel wool on the film.

If you mean windows with the tint in the glass, go ahead and use the steel wool on the outside of the glass.
wilsonhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2010 3.6R Limited Outback

Thanks. No, it is factory tint and I confirmed with my service manager that it is part of the glass and no worries about using the steel wool just make sure I test it out on a small surface first and it is wet before using. He did advise me to use only the finest steel wool that is recommended which would be #0000 from what I've been reading on the forum.
BLT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

The grime on the inside of the windows is the plasticizers evaporating from the dashboard.

This is why after many years the dash of most cars starts to crack and warp. The plasticizers evaporate and the remaining polymer starts to cross-link and become hard and brittle.

Polymer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little chemistry lesson for you.
mhyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car: '96 Outback 2.2/F350
Default Ultra-Dawn rocks! There is NO better over-the-counter

grease remover. My understanding is that about eight years ago the morons changed the formula, heard the screams of wrenches worldwide, and then re-packaged their original grease-beating blend as "Ultra". They even used it as the self-dissolving lubricant for joining the mammoth sections of The Bay Bridge. Dawn doesn't leave the residual film like all of the 'orange' cleaners (unless no water is available) and using Dawn on a toothbrush (preferably retired) you can scrub your fingernails clean enough to gain entry back into civilization. You may even get a date!
Re the window streaks, appreciate the heads up and gonna' grab some fine steel wool to try to polish a '96's side steaks.
Aside, I just used some McGuiars Rubbing Compound with a 'beijing tools' variable-speed polisher to buff clouded headlights: they look like new, and the Mac' seemed to work better than the goop they market specifically for headlights.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: