Subaru Outback Forums banner

Need advice on ding/chip/scratch repair on new '16 Outback

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sandbag 
#1 ·
Hi all, second day after I got my new '16 venetian red Outback, I somehow got a bad door ding with chips and some nasty scratches.

Got some quotes, including about $468 to only mess with affected the rear door (sanding, localized OEM paint, then re-clear coat the whole door), and $800+ that involved repainting the pristine front door for "blending" purposes which sounds like a scam to me. The thought of someone re-painting an undamaged area like the front door terrifies me. They said it was because the lower hairline wavy scratch is close to the front door. But its far down and hard to see. Wouldn't it make the most sense to buff the 3 straight coat-only scratches, sand and OEM paint the chipped area, and apply some touch up paint to the lower hairline scratch before re-clear coating?

What would a good body shop do if forced to only work on the rear door, and how good would the result look? Thanks for any advice. Pictures are attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Use Google to find a professional touch up service near where you live. Used car dealers use services like this all the time. They come to where you are and using paint blending and air brush techniques, do a pretty good job. I had this done on my '99 Outback many years ago by a place near Chicago called Carnica.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.