*** Outback 2014 radio fit 2013? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default *** Outback 2014 radio fit 2013?

Need a radio that will synch an iPhone so I am told the 2014 radio does sync iphone address book. SO, is there anyone in the know that can tell me if the 2014 radio will swap into a 2013 as long as the radios both have or not have nav?
halkuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

plus one on this.
I have a 13 non nav radio and would like a 14 non nav radio for the screen, so I can use a backup cam.
bmobuell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

We have a 2014 Outback and the iPhone address book does not work – you have to manually add contacts if you want to voice dial. Charging is iffy as well. It's a weird combination of bluetooth being on or off, and being paired for phone versus audio, and a bunch of weird things like whether music is playing or not.

Our workaround is to charge the iphone with a 12v adapter, pair with bluetooth for audio and voice, then use siri on the phone to dial phone contacts. Siri's interface works much better anyway. This should be possible on the 2013 models as well, but I don't know that for certain.

We have a 2011 hyundai elantra that does everything perfectly in term of calling, bt audio and charging – literally everything works perfectly, so it's very noticeable when things don't work like they could in the Outback. I've gone through everything trying to get the iPhone to work perfect in the Outback, and it just doesn't.
mjbkwrds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default iphone sync and outback radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by halkuff View Post
Need a radio that will synch an iPhone so I am told the 2014 radio does sync iphone address book. SO, is there anyone in the know that can tell me if the 2014 radio will swap into a 2013 as long as the radios both have or not have nav?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbkwrds View Post
We have a 2014 Outback and the iPhone address book does not work you have to manually add contacts if you want to voice dial. Charging is iffy as well. It's a weird combination of bluetooth being on or off, and being paired for phone versus audio, and a bunch of weird things like whether music is playing or not.

Our workaround is to charge the iphone with a 12v adapter, pair with bluetooth for audio and voice, then use siri on the phone to dial phone contacts. Siri's interface works much better anyway. This should be possible on the 2013 models as well, but I don't know that for certain.

We have a 2011 hyundai elantra that does everything perfectly in term of calling, bt audio and charging literally everything works perfectly, so it's very noticeable when things don't work like they could in the Outback. I've gone through everything trying to get the iPhone to work perfect in the Outback, and it just doesn't.
My salesperson insists that the nav radio on the special edition card works with the iphone, i am going over tomorrow and inspect this config. How do we send Subaru America a message that says its time to stop saying its Apple's issue?
halkuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

ya know, technically it does work, but the phonebook does not automatically download like it does with fully compatible phones; thus, it will take phone calls from your phone through the bluetooth just fine. It will not show the name of the contact calling, and you cannot voice dial a contact without manually entering the contacts one at a time and recording the person's name.

In practice, regardless of the full or partial support, you'll end up finding it easier to use siri to initiate phone calls. One button press and one command on your phone will always be easier than a steering wheel and then three steps to call with confirmations of what you said. With siri, you're on the phone or voicemail before you'd be dialing on any hands free system. It's that way with our hyundai as well.

It is worth mentioning that our OB does not have the navigation built-in, we have the upgraded speakers, but not the navigation. Please let me know if you find out that the NAV feature enables a fully supported iPhone. You'll know it works when you can say "Call John Smith" and it actually calls him. If it doesn't "work" you have to add his name and record it, or speak out his phone number to dial it.
mjbkwrds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: