best seat covers for leather? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best seat covers for leather?

I have searched the forums and I don't see anyone talking about putting seat covers over leather. I am interested in knowing whether anyone has done this or recommends it. The last car I had was leather and the seats got stained pretty quickly. This time I wanna protect my leather seats. I know leather is easier to clean but it's also easier to damage seems to me. The first time you spill a coffee on it or leave a plastic bag melting on it in the hot sun, they are done.

I am interested in keeping the leather looking as new as possible. I would imagine that a cloth seat cover would be best. Does anyone recommend a specific retailer? Also, it would be great if someone out there made seat covers with the Subaru logo........does anyone know?

I know people are gonna say why bother getting leather if you are gonna cover it up. Well I find the leather seats (in most cars) to be more firm, comfortable than the cloth. Also cloth seats tend to get smelly after many years, leather not so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM

Car: 2013 OB limited
i find my cloth seats much more firm that my wife's leather. having said that, why bother getting leather if you are gonna cover it up?

BHopkins likes this.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 PM

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i
FYI: on the Leather part of the leather seats (not the pleather) Saddle soap works great for cleaning the stains/ stuff off.

Unfortunately car makers think that leather seats are a "luxury" item and you are forced to get them with the upper packages. If you have ever sat on a leather seat after the car has been baking in the sun for 8 hrs then you know how much of a "luxury" leather is. Or when it is -20, how the leather feels.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM

I always put seat covers in all my cars regardless of the material seat. If you are interested in protecting your seats, you cover them period. No matter what the material is.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Higher quality leather seats only cost about $1300 installed - I never did understand why people cover their stock seats other than in specific use cases like when I'm camping and doing boat ramp launching getting into and out of the car wet which case the old body glove type cover that kept the seat protected from my wet butt was a good thing. Outside of that it makes no sense to cover them.
BHopkins likes this.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 AM

Car: 2013 OB limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiesailor View Post
Higher quality leather seats only cost about $1300 installed - I never did understand why people cover their stock seats other than in specific use cases like when I'm camping and doing boat ramp launching getting into and out of the car wet which case the old body glove type cover that kept the seat protected from my wet butt was a good thing. Outside of that it makes no sense to cover them.
Agreed. If I wear them out, then I'll consider reupholstering (sp?...it's late...)
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 08:13 AM

Car: 2006 OBW 2.5i 4at LTD
Cover the leather seats to protect them for who? The next owner?

I used to worry about things like this until I realized that I don't get any more on a trade than the guy that trades in a car that has never had even a washing or the interior detailed once.

I bought the car for me, not the next guy. If my seats get a stain or some wear so be it. Sure beats fighting with seat covers for years.

And one more thing, unless you buy covers that are totally waterproof when you spill that coffee on your cloth covered leather seats how do you clean that up? Remove the seat cover? If you don't the coffee will soak through the covers and leave a bad stain in the leather.

Enjoy your car and the leather seats. If they get worn or stained let the next owner buy covers to cover you what you did.
taiguy, rockthebeef and BHopkins like this.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 09:30 AM

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited" - Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I thought there was a typo in the original post. Seems bass-akwards to want to cover leather seats with cloth rather than the other way around. I swapped my cloth seats for used leather seats. It was not cheap or easy but worth it. The best thing to cover leather seats with? Leather. This reminds me of visiting my friends' houses in the 70's and we were not allowed to play in the living room because it was for company. The sofa and other upholstered furniture were covered in clear plastic custom made covers. Kinda weird.

Google for seat covers and you will come up with stuff like this: CarCoverPlanet.com - Official Site

I've also heard that these are the best: Car Seat Covers - Custom Seat Covers for Trucks & SUVs | AutoAnything Wet Okle

On the other hand, there are a number of companies that make protective seat covers for folks whose dogs ride with them. They may not fit as well or even be available for the front seats. Perhaps there is a way to treat/clean the seats before hand to help them maintain their like-new appearance. Or just be more careful with coffee and plastic bags. They're new leather seats for gods sake!

Set the Wayback machine to the year 2000 Sherman... when Little Red was problem free.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I keep my cars 15 to 20 years. Around year 10 the seats really start to look and smell bad. No I am not interested in replacing my car's seats at year 10 and spending $1300. I'll leave that to you people who don't cover your seats. The seat covers keep them looking new so that around year 10 I can take the covers off and have brand new seats. Even if you spill stuff on the COVERED seats the seats do not stain anywhere near as badly as a COVER-LESS seat. Covering my seats from Day 1 of ownership is what I have done with my cloth seat cars. But I am interested in doing it with my leather seats now. I am sure I'm not the only person in the world who has wanted to do this, but perhaps I am the only person on this forum.

By the way, I have always sold my cars within just a few days due to the impeccably clean interior of my cars. I just sold my 18-year old Saab within 5 days for WAY above its resale value to a buyer who was flabbergasted at the spotless interior of the car. I have a 10 year old Accord that has 210,000 miles and the (covered) seats are brand new. I think keeping your interior like new as much as possible helps with not just resale value but resale speed.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 PM

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5i
The good thing about 10 year old cars, is that great condition used seats can be had very cheap, and you can sell your beat up ones to recoup some of the cost. Figure 300-400 bucks for seats in great condition, and sell your old ones for 100-150 bucks. BAM!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: