Replacing an alternator on an Outback - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Replacing an alternator on an Outback

How difficult of a task is it to replace an alternator on a 2002 Outback?
rwachtell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2002 WRX and 2001 Outback Limited

Changing the Alternator is a pretty straight forward job.
You could pick up a Haynes Repair manual Subaru Outbacks at an auto supply store, but if you're comfortable changing the oil on your car, I'd think you could handle swapping out your alternator.

First you'll need to loosen the alternator belt. By marking the adjustment screw with a felt pen you won't have a problem getting the belt to the correct tension (if the belt was correctly tensioned to start with). Then you remove two electrical connections- one plug-in and one with a nut (10mm?). Next you have to remove the metal belt guard. The alternator is held in place with two bolts. Be careful with the right bolt (looking from the front of the car), there is a nut in back that can drop down into the engine if you're not careful. Other than that, the old unit lifts right out and the new unit goes right in.

Of course I'm recounting this from memory, so I may not be 100% accurate, but it really is an easy job.

Hope this helps.

Bill
wb8164 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks wb8154

I've got 196k on my 2002 Outback.
My alternator now makes a wining sound.
Think I should replace it?
Do alternators give any hints when they are about to fail?
Lights dimming slightly or things like that?

Rob
rwachtell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 2002 WRX and 2001 Outback Limited

Rob,
Right as my alternator was going bad I started to get some strange dash warning lights. The Battery warning light and the brake warning light both came on at once. Later, when I really knew the alternator was going belly up, the ABS light came on.

Try doing a quick search on the site and you should find a few threads that will help. I know that I had previously found some and I had posted a thread about rebuilding an alternator.

I'm by no means an alternator expert, but I'd first confirm the alternator itself is whining..It could be a pulley for the accessory belt. If the alternator is whining, a bearing is probably going bad and I'd suggest obtaining a rebuilt unit and replacing it sooner than later. Because all too often, later ends up being on the side of the road...at night...in the middle of nowhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill
wb8164 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: