Rallyarmor Mud Flaps - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eis Cold

Car: 08 Outback 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Rallyarmor Mud Flaps

I know its been discussed before but I wanted to share my experiences:
There is an illustrated guide on these forums (HERE) for installing rallyarmor mud flaps. I did this last week and here are my experiences:

-the adjustment feature (side to side, controls how far they 'stick out') does not work as well on the front flap because it does not allow them to go in as far as they do on the rear. They still go in pretty far though, so it was NO problem for me.

-I was able to use the stock screws and mounting brackets on the rear flaps. Also there are two clips on the rear for the 08 (one facing the tire and one facing downwards behind the stock flap, both must be re-inserted.)

The design seems like it will work way better to keep stuff off of the sides and back of the car. As mentioned, it would be nicer if there were a longer 'Outback' version available, but they are still lower and wider than the stock ones.

Here are some pics:

Here it is before:

And after:

And another from after:

Anyway, the look probably isn't for everyone but I really like it myself and they seem like they will do a much better job of keeping stuff off of the car than the stock splash guards.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

Looks good. Personally, I like flappers.

Brian
Old 04-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I think it looks awesome! I love that pic of your car from the rear.

I have RA mudflaps on my STi and love them. I will soon add them to my OB when I have a chance.

How hard was it to remove the stock splash guards?
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Flying Cavalry

Car: 2006 OBXT Limited / Rota Torques / TDC Stage 1 / IPD Sways / Cobb STS

Nice looking EisBear!!

14 months later and mine are still solid! I agree they do a great job of keeping crap off of the sides of the wagon... I still wish RallyArmor would make a longer version for the Outback...

Cheers...
Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Shank
Nice looking EisBear!!

14 months later and mine are still solid! I agree they do a great job of keeping crap off of the sides of the wagon... I still wish RallyArmor would make a longer version for the Outback...

Cheers...
Yeah, longer would be great, particulary for the rear.

I'm just about to buy a 2001 OB and don't want a repeat of what happened to my L-Series - lots of stone chips just in front of the rear wheel arch caiused by the front wheel picking up lots of gravel.
enduro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eis Cold

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I drove them at the coast this weekend and on a rainy road trip back. I can say that they seem to keep the dirty junk and road film off of the car quite a bit better than the stockers.

As far as ease of getting the rear stock flaps off, there are two screws and two clips. Its not hard once you find them and take them all out. I was looking only for one clip, took it off and it was hung on the last clip. There is another clip that has the 'threads' perpendicular to the ground (you get at it from below, the 'head' is facing the ground) just behind the stock guard. I can send you pics of what I'm talking about if its confusing, but once you see the setup, it should make sense.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '01 OB Limited 5spd
Send a message via AIM to gabossie

Looks great! I've been thinking about these because one of my rear flaps is tearing.
gabossie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Eis Cold

Thanks!

Let me add a couple of things --

The "rallyarmor" logo is visible but it is the same color (black) as the flaps themselves. The other option listed on the website is black flap + red logo. These were out of stock when I called but I was set on black anyway. The (very helpful) person I spoke to on the phone also told me they had some black flap + GRAY logo that was a single run and they had a few left. You might ask about these (later I thought that the logo would probably match that gray plastic strip on the rocker pretty well but the black are sweet).

She further told me that the folks at legacygt were trying to do a group buy but I was under some time pressure so I pulled the trigger on it (sorry lgt guys).

Also,
In the sun today, I had a better look at the road film I gathered from about 2.5 hours in the rain total (mixed throughout a 4 hour drive). It seemed less substantial than when I ran in the rain with the stockers, both in thickness and in height. Other variables may have affected this as well: not the same highway, different traffic, different type of rain -- but these variables (while obviously not controlled) really weren't all that different (I've driven in Texas rain on Texas highways a lot).

Obviously longer would be better, but my (albeit short) OB experience seems to comport with others' positive performance experiences with their OBs. As to the look, I love it, but it obviously isn't for everyone. However, to me, they easily look like they could have been OEM when you look at the car. In my mind it looks a bit more serious and beefy with 'em.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
dvl
Mountain biker

Car: 2009 Outback XT 5MT

In the how-to link, I noticed the price was $95.

Looking at the $95 and $129 products in the RallyArmor website, I think the latter ones are longer.

Compare this image with this one.

The first image is from the Legacy Classic Mud Flaps Black Logo, the second from the Urethane Rally Mud Flaps.

I think the latter and more expensive ones are longer. I'm tempted to get the grey logo ones for my silver 2008 XT.
dvl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

I wish they made these for the Gen 2 OBs

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: