Subaru Outback Forums banner

Subaru oem chinese parts

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Blacky 
#1 ·
Anybody know how long and how much production fuji heavy is shifting to China for oem part production? Picked up some oem (ngk) plug wires and one made in Japan, the other three made in China.These are the first oem subaru parts I have seen from China and give me pause to buy other oem going forward. Other than belts which were stamped mistubishi/usa, every other oem part I have picked up has been Japanese and see shift from Japan to China as a step down in quality.

Left is #4 wire, right is #2.

See less See more
#3 ·
Encased in standard Subaru OEM fuji heavy industries tag, with exception of made in China notation. Parts were supplied from Subaru dealer. Looks like #4 is Japanese, #1-#3 are Chinese. The plugs themselves are marked made in Japan still but appears Subaru or NGK has some offshoring oem to China.

#7 ·
^^^ as well as Airbus and Boeing...

If you look at the new car sticker, you will see, how many parts are supplied to Subaru by outside vendors - if I am not mistaken it's about 40% or more nowadays...

Nothing wrong with parts made in China as long as they are manufactured to specifications.

#8 ·
The quality of products from China is directly related to how well the manufacturer controls what happens in the plant. Some manufacturers build their own plant so they can dictate everything from materials to processes. China can produce excellent stuff. Apple products are one example.

#10 ·
I know that recently when switching out OEM therm (made in Japan) I would not have used one that said made in China for such a critical piece of the engine, would you? I doubt NGK or Subaru built a plant specifically for their product, perhaps they require the factory to manufacture their oem to different standard but that is always the problem in China unless you have engineers in the factory spec and checking all work.

Anyway the more interesting part was the mix of Japan vs China as perhaps the Japan source wire sets are dwindling, if so may be worth trying to grab those still made in Japan. I will probably go ahead and switch out the stock to chinese on 1-3 but would not be surprised if generic/cheaper wire sets are being made at same Chinese plant to very similar specs.

#11 ·
They do have engineers looking over worker's shoulders and they also supply assembly machines as well as raw materials...we should never underestimate, what and how they make stuff there...same in South Korea!
Japanese products (right after WW2) were also pretty bad but look at them now...they are on par with German stuff....if not better!

#13 ·
Anything made in China is of dubious quality at best. You get what you pay for. The bottom line is everything is being made in China because it's cheaper. I go out of my way to buy non-Chinese products whenever possible. They can build good quality stuff but then they would have to charge a decent price for it.

The more we buy from China, the more industries in North America will suffer. Eventually when everyone is broke the Chinese will buy up the whole continent for pennies on the dollar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.