OBX Headers for the 2.5 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default OBX Headers for the 2.5 <- Now with pictures!

UPDATE: I bought 'em and bolted 'em on. See page 2 for loads of install pics.

eBay link 1 eBay link 2 eBay link 3

Would one of these fit my Outback? My inclination is that they would--they look right. What do you guys think?

The upside, if they do fit, would be that they appear to be equal length (or very close to it). The downside is that after shipping, they are almost $100 more than Borla replicas--pretty much the same $$$ as original Borlas.
obsolete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: '00 Outback 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Question

Questions - those look like they eliminate a catalytic converter? If so, may not be legal in your state and you may need a O2 spacer for the rear one.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: '00 Legacy OBW Ltd | '94 MR2 non-turbo (track toy)

There is a great read about these headers.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1031584

In essence they are great performers but you will lose what boxer rumble the car has (which I can't hear much anyways on my 00 Outback Ltd).

FYI: They are replicas of the Cobb Tuning / Rallitek headers which sold for well over $600 when they were available.
eggroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cool. Thanks for the link, eggroller.

More horsepower and torque down where I will actually use it more of the time? Yes, please. These headers look ideal. I can live without the rumble.

This mod has just been upgraded from "expensive, but not really sure" to "expensive, but I really want it".
Old 08-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, you and me both are considering it...for a while they OBX EL header disappeared off the market. I think they were just in production mode. I have yet to see anyone with an Outback with this header installed. Have you found any pictures or reports after installation?

There is another alternate EL header but with factory quality, longevity and maybe less power gain than the OBX. The 2006+ 2.5i of the Impreza has an EL (equal length) header from the factory with a close coupled catalytic converter in one piece. I have been looking into finding someone who has dynoed the new header vs OEM vs aftermarket. It is like looking for a unicorn. Thread and pictures: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...8&postcount=80

Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Note: The flanges might not be flush. I plan to run a couple of OEM gaskets instead of the garbage gaskets which come with the header. Here is the post about this issue http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2&postcount=52
Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm more a fan of the longer pipes on the aftermarket header than the short OEM Impreza one. I've never seen anyone who has installed the OBX headers on an Outback. Because they're intended for the Impreza, it doesn't appear that they'll just mate up to the rest of the stock exhaust. It seems the '97 Legacy GT guy had to do a little modification, but his setup was modified already.

From the looks of it, my Subaru has three catalytic converters--one immediately after the manifold pipes join, and two more down the line that are closely in series with each other, before the Subaru resonator. I guess my plan of action at this point would be to nix the front two and have my local exhaust exhaust shop weld up a pipe/flange to mate the headers with the one remaining cat. It will take that cat longer to warm up, but it's the best solution I can come up with, I guess. I am not subject to emissions testing, but keeping one of the original cats in the system seems like a nice compromise to me.

Then there's the issue of the rear oxygen sensor...it looks like there's a spot for it after OBX's "cat-delete" resonator, but I'm not really sure I'll use that piece in my setup. I can't think of any reason why I'd want it. Maybe I could extend the wires and have the guys at the shop install it after the my remaining cat.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: 98 outback 2.5

in some of the places ive seen it it says to bolts up to outbacks too. but where ive sen it its like $260 and borls is $400...

i wanted it it but if it get rid of the rumble i dont care any more!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am looking to install an OBX header on my 2000 outback. Anyone have any experience with this?
jack2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

The project is tentatively scheduled for this summer. I will definitely post about it when I can.

Feel free to beat me to it, though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: