New Key Fob Programming Button Location? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Subaru Outback Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default New Key Fob Programming Button Location?

Hey guys...i have a 98 Outback Limited i just bought..it only came with 1 key fob and one set of keys...i went online and found places that sold new Key Fobs and i bought one..the instructions called for opening he door - putting the key in and turning it to "on" - and then pressing and holding the programming button under the dash...well - i can't find the damm button! I took out the lower dash panel and looked under the dash and i see nothing even closely related to what they were talking about - a metal or plastic ring with a button it in to push to prgoram the new remote......nowhere...can anyone shed some light on this? where it may be or if i am delusional? thanks...

Dan

ADDED FROM THE BOTTOM FOR PEEPS TO SEE AND GET SOME HELP....THANKS KEN!

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!! THANKS KEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly where you said....right next to the kick panel on the left side - pointing straight down to the carpet - it is only the diameter of a dime - and the button is very small....here is a pic i snapped with my phone..this is looking up from the floor...right against the left side of the footwell...

new remote i got works perfectly....procedure is simple...

1) Open door
2) Turn key to Full on position with dash lights lit up but do not start the car
3) Press button in and hold for 15 seconds....door locks will cycle 3 times - KEEP Holding button in...and then press the "lock" button on the remotes you want to have work. You will hear the door locks click when the button on the remote is pressed.
4) Let go of button and turn key to "Off"
5) Try out remotes.

Both my original one and the new one i got work perfect. And the new one will unlock all the doors by holding the unlock button down just like the original remote. I have another remote on the way from an Ebay guy - was all of $17 shipped - the code i searched for is GOH-M24 - that is the code on the back of the factory remote for the frequency. I'm sure the new key FOB i get will work too.

Thanks to EVERYONE for their help. Now i can give a set to the wife for her to have and a spare to have in the house. My Subie Love just went up a notch!

Dan
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1997 SVX Bordeaux 2012 OBW 6 speed 1992 SVX Ebony 1992 SVX Claret

I've searched my '97 several times and also can't find it.
Blacky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 M/T, King Springs,KYB GR-2 struts, Primitive front skid plate,Subaru rear diff protector,Yokohama Geolander ATS,LSD conversion, soon 2" lift coming

The button can be hard to find I will post a pic or two of possible locations and what the button looks like tomorrow, ken
OutbacKen2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Legacy Outback, 2.5, auto, Green

The button is located just above the drivers side kick panel. about two of three inches back from the door opening. Kind of straight up and mounted on a metal mounting bracket. It looks just like a little black end of a magic marker, about 1/2 inch in diameter.
1998 Outback
wurkenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by wurkenman
The button is located just above the drivers side kick panel. about two of three inches back from the door opening. Kind of straight up and mounted on a metal mounting bracket. It looks just like a little black end of a magic marker, about 1/2 inch in diameter.
a pic would be great but i will look today - so we are talking the left vertical panel against the left side of footwell? does the kick panel need to be removed? I will go look at lunch.....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 M/T, King Springs,KYB GR-2 struts, Primitive front skid plate,Subaru rear diff protector,Yokohama Geolander ATS,LSD conversion, soon 2" lift coming

The keyless was usually added by the port or the dealer and I have seen the button in just about every place including where it was supposed to be mounted per the instructions. It is attached by 2 small brown wires running from the control module, if you can find those then you can follow them to the small black button. hope this helps I will still try to post a pic, ken
Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by OutbacKen2
The keyless was usually added by the port or the dealer and I have seen the button in just about every place including where it was supposed to be mounted per the instructions. It is attached by 2 small brown wires running from the control module, if you can find those then you can follow them to the small black button. hope this helps I will still try to post a pic, ken
thanks Ken....a pic would be great...i literally looked everywhere under the dash and could not find it at all...knowing it is brown wires might help...i'll check when i get my break for lunch today....any pic you can snap would be great....thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!! THANKS KEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly where you said....right next to the kick panel on the left side - pointing straight down to the carpet - it is only the diameter of a dime - and the button is very small....here is a pic i snapped with my phone..this is looking up from the floor...right against the left side of the footwell...

new remote i got works perfectly....procedure is simple...

1) Open door
2) Turn key to Full on position with dash lights lit up but do not start the car
3) Press button in and hold for 15 seconds....door locks will cycle 3 times - KEEP Holding button in...and then press the "lock" button on the remotes you want to have work. You will hear the door locks click when the button on the remote is pressed.
4) Let go of button and turn key to "Off"
5) Try out remotes.

Both my original one and the new one i got work perfect. And the new one will unlock all the doors by holding the unlock button down just like the original remote. I have another remote on the way from an Ebay guy - was all of $17 shipped - the code i searched for is GOH-M24 - that is the code on the back of the factory remote for the frequency. I'm sure the new key FOB i get will work too.

Thanks to EVERYONE for their help. Now i can give a set to the wife for her to have and a spare to have in the house. My Subie Love just went up a notch!

Dan
Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

glad to be of help, sorry I couldn't get the pics up this morning my work comp was not playing nice with my camera. ken
Old 05-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by OutbacKen2
glad to be of help, sorry I couldn't get the pics up this morning my work comp was not playing nice with my camera. ken
no problem at all man..that was why i took the pic i did and posted it..in case others were looking...you helped a LOT .....and once i saw it i felt real dumb for not having seein it before
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: