what years interchange - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1999 out back wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default what years interchange

i have 1999 out back 2.5 auto what year motors and heads will fit it i found crashed 2000 that is low miles and for the motor the price is right will that moter fit a 99???? i know i ask a lot of ??? but i dont know squat about subarus yet i like my sisters forster and the outback we have is a nice car im looking for one to put my son in now
buckyoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

You're probably going to be best off with say '99 or maybe '98 or '97. 2000 on up Outback is going to be the sohc and might have enough differences to make it hard to install it. Also you need to verify the evap emissions type, EGR or not, transmission, etc. because any differences there could make the swap more difficult. Even if you don't buy from them www.ccrengines.com might still give you advice on what years you can use.

If you get a scrapyard engine, I would just do the head gaskets and timing belt stuff before installing the engine. It's going to be a lot easier with the engine out and those are items that an engine of that age/mileage is probably going to need anyway.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i MT

Quote:
Originally posted by porcupine73
You're probably going to be best off with say '99 or maybe '98 or '97. 2000 on up Outback is going to be the sohc and might have enough differences to make it hard to install it. Also you need to verify the evap emissions type, EGR or not, transmission, etc. because any differences there could make the swap more difficult. Even if you don't buy from them www.ccrengines.com might still give you advice on what years you can use.

If you get a scrapyard engine, I would just do the head gaskets and timing belt stuff before installing the engine. It's going to be a lot easier with the engine out and those are items that an engine of that age/mileage is probably going to need anyway.

Depends where the poster lives, I'd say. Assuming he is located in the USA, you're right of course. The engine front accessories and their mounting points probably are more different than the transmission end. If you have an entire donor car, it could be worth it.

I am guessing the point of the exercise is to exchange the potential for an internal head gasket episode for a slowly seeping external one.

;-)
BuzzBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

I took the 'mil wi' location to be Milwaukee Wisconsin USA. The head gasket issue is fixed if new stock genuine gaskets are used and the job is done correctly without cutting any corners.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5i MT

Quote:
Originally posted by porcupine73
I took the 'mil wi' location to be Milwaukee Wisconsin USA.
Ah, yes, of course. Geology is not my strong suit.
BuzzBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

hehe I could be wrong. It could be a military base in Wilhelmshaven.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: 1999 out back wagon

i found a low milage head if needed the motor is coming out on thursday my subaru dealer has all my gaskits and belt any thig else i should lookat and take care of while im in there yes it is milwaukee wisconsin should i get a belt tensioner to and thanks for the help any one neer wants to stop by and lend a hand feel free
buckyoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: