Hood Prop Rod - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Navy Blue Outback Wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Hood Prop Rod

I bought an Outback a few months ago, but it was missing a hood prop rod for some odd reason. I've been scouring the internet for a replacement, but it's like they don't exist. I'm getting a bit tired of using a board. Does anyone know where I could find one for a 2000? Thanks!
subaruwest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i

you might try a junk yard. problem there is finding an outback in a junk yard. StL isn't exactly subaru central.
dprice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've thought of doing that, but the same reason you mentioned has prevented me from actually looking. I just keep thinking I'll find one online eventually. And you're right, St. Louis isn't known for outbacks but in certain areas (Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Central West End, the Loop), they are plentiful.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Forester Limited, 1973 MG Midget

Granted I am on the opposite coast as you, but I was in the local auto recycling yard the other day and I found 3 Outbacks; an '02, an '03 and an '04. Also an '01 or '02 Legacy Sedan. All 4 had been smashed pretty well in the front, and 3 of the car seemed to be at the yard for awhile. One of the Outbacks seemed to be a new arrival, as it still had most everything. I got some parts off it for both of our Outbacks and made out for less than $20.

When I have time, I think I'm going to go back for an '02+ style center console and the wood grain trim for the door panels.

But to answer your question, yes, I would try the wrecking yards first. They probably just give it to you or charge you less than 5 bucks.
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i

good luck. i used to live right across the river and I can't even think of where the junk yards were in StL...

when i was back in the area a couple of weeks ago visiting family, i noticed more subarus. probably because i was paying more attention now that I have one myself.
dprice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Outback

The same years (00 - 04) Legacy's use the same part.

Part Number 17 in this pic; http://opposedforces.com/parts/legac...ont_hood_lock/
Called a "Stay Hood Support".
Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will definitely look at a junk yard. And thanks for giving me the "official" name for the prop rod, bobbyjimmy. I never would have guessed that's what it's called.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shizzle Nicker

Car: 1999 Legacy Outback,

I've wondered about adding a gas strut, like the kind for the hatchback. My gf has one on her passat and it's kind of cool. There looks like there are some funny things to attach to in there, so I was also wondering if some models (JDM?) come with them?
1999 Legacy Outback, IPD Front Sway, IPD Rear Sway, Perrin Lightened Pulley, NGK Copper Plugs, Brembo Rotors, Akebono Pads, Borla Replica Headers, 35% Suntek Carbon Tint, Class I Hitch, Wilson Glass Mount Cell Antenna, DIY Wooden Rack, Forester OEM Oil Cooler. Most Recent: KYB GR2 Shocks and Struts, Custom fabbed 1.5" Lift Springs
littlekicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback, '02 WRX

Quote:
Originally posted by littlekicker
I've wondered about adding a gas strut, like the kind for the hatchback. My gf has one on her passat and it's kind of cool. There looks like there are some funny things to attach to in there, so I was also wondering if some models (JDM?) come with them?
Not sure about OEM JDM, but I purchased a pair of RedLine Racing Hood Struts for my WRX and love them.
notsosimple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Shizzle Nicker

Car: 1999 Legacy Outback,

cool! where do they attach? any pics?
1999 Legacy Outback, IPD Front Sway, IPD Rear Sway, Perrin Lightened Pulley, NGK Copper Plugs, Brembo Rotors, Akebono Pads, Borla Replica Headers, 35% Suntek Carbon Tint, Class I Hitch, Wilson Glass Mount Cell Antenna, DIY Wooden Rack, Forester OEM Oil Cooler. Most Recent: KYB GR2 Shocks and Struts, Custom fabbed 1.5" Lift Springs
littlekicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: