Diagnostic cable/software and TPMS - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Car: 2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diagnostic cable/software and TPMS

I've been a Volkswagen guy for a really long time. With a VW, you go to the Vag-Com web site, buy a diagnostic cable, and download the software for your laptop. You plug the cable into your OBD-2 port and you can view/reconfigure all kinds of useful things. In particular, you can get the fault code log.

I'm about to take delivery of a 2015 Outback 3.6R. Among other things, I've learned that you have to reprogram the TPMS system when you swap between winter and summer wheels. With an internet search, I see a tool you can buy for an outrageous $250.00 and all it does is let you reprogram your TPMS. On a VW, $250 will get you the cable and software to do virtually anything short of re-flashing the ECU with a different profile to boost the turbo.

Is there anything like this for a 2015 Outback or are you perpetually tied to the dealership?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Car: 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T, 2002 Ducati Monster
Hey Geoff, we are in the same shoes. I still drive a GTI and my vag-com has been saving me a lot of headaches. I've had my 2015 Outback for almost 2 years but I have yet to find a cable that works with SSM3/4 or FreeSSM. Any luck on your end?

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Limited Sedan 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot soup View Post
Hey Geoff, we are in the same shoes. I still drive a GTI and my vag-com has been saving me a lot of headaches. I've had my 2015 Outback for almost 2 years but I have yet to find a cable that works with SSM3/4 or FreeSSM. Any luck on your end?
the vag cable designed for VW is the exact one that works on subarus. (your 2015 I guess is included ???).

mine cost $11,

I use it on FreeSSM, and RomRaider.

some people get a fancier cable / dongle if they are really doing heavy flashing / programming though, (like reprogramming turbo cars).

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Found a Subaru Vin Decoder (also works on many manufactures):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel Sofa King intolerant to the ideas expressed by others:

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
the vag cable designed for VW is the exact one that works on subarus. (your 2015 I guess is included ???).

mine cost $11,

I use it on FreeSSM, and RomRaider.

some people get a fancier cable / dongle if they are really doing heavy flashing / programming though, (like reprogramming turbo cars).
Hey EagleEye,

Thanks for the quick reply.

For some reason, FreeSSM and SSM3/4 can't see my KKL/409 cable, which properly shows up as one of the COM ports like it always does. And yes, I have an Outback 2015. My VSDS-Lite continues to work just fine and reads off my GTI 2002 with no issue. I've been pulling my hair. I'm not doing anything crazy. Just wanna get the TPMS sensor IDs so I could clone them. Argh...

FYI, on FreeSSM, I did open the preference box and entered the COM port number corresponding to the cable. COM test failed.

As far as SSM goes, SSM4 prompts to enter VIN or model/year. It redirects to SSM3. Communication fails. I'm not sure exactly where the COM port is configured. I poke around and play with the DST-i settings and some other things but no luck so far.

Hot soup
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hey EagleEye,

Thanks for the quick reply.

For some reason, FreeSSM and SSM3/4 can't see my KKL/409 cable, which properly shows up as one of the COM ports like it always does. And yes, I have an Outback 2015. My VSDS-Lite continues to work just fine and reads off my GTI 2002 with no issue. I've been pulling my hair. I'm not doing anything crazy. Just wanna get the TPMS sensor IDs so I could clone them. Argh...

Hot soup

@plain OM @traildogck @brucep @ntippet ? etc. might have read more on that particular TPMS issue with newer cars.

? Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans here:

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
@plain OM @traildogck @brucep @ntippet ? etc. might have read more on that particular TPMS issue with newer cars.
Thanks, EagleEye. I'll reach out to the names mentioned. I'll also try luck with RomRaider.

Merry Christmas, EagleEye.

-------------------------------
Share The Roads
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5
2002 VW GTI 1.8T
2002 Ducati Monster
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, EagleEye. I'll reach out to the names mentioned. I'll also try luck with RomRaider.

Merry Christmas, EagleEye.
they will see I made mention of them with the @ symbol and possibly chime in if they know something or where to find it.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:46 AM

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I believe FreeSSM is somewhat dated now. I don't think it has been updated, and particularly, for the newer Subaru systems. The Romraider developers are still quite active (RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / RomRaider). Perhaps join/peruse the forums: RomRaider ? Index page

Quote:
I'm not doing anything crazy. Just wanna get the TPMS sensor IDs so I could clone them.
Neither FreeSSM nor Romraider will access the TPMS control modules. As far as I know, both are only for engine and transmission data.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:03 AM

Car: 2009 Tribeca - Sold-2004 Outback EJ259
You will have to do TPMS work at the dealer or buy your own tools.

Need a tool to wake up the sensor via proximity to get the ID's.
https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-VT15-TPM.../dp/B0099RGK5E
https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-VT30-Dia...ords=AETQ+VT30
Or physically read the Sensor ID by de-mounting the tire.

Then another tool to program the vehicle with the ID's & read the what is currently stored in the vehicle.
https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet.../dp/B008SCWXN4

- Read Engine Data, Perform Adjustments & System Functional Tests

Arduino powered Outback? -Sold!
Yes I can dial in % of torque delivered to the rear wheels.
Saved the controller for the Tribeca
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 03:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain OM View Post
I believe FreeSSM is somewhat dated now. I don't think it has been updated, and particularly, for the newer Subaru systems. The Romraider developers are still quite active (RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / RomRaider). Perhaps join/peruse the forums: RomRaider ? Index page

Neither FreeSSM nor Romraider will access the TPMS control modules. As far as I know, both are only for engine and transmission data.
Thanks, plain OM. I'll focus on SSM3/4, which isn't yet working.

Share The Roads
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5
2002 VW GTI 1.8T
2002 Ducati Monster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: