LED Light Bars - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:05 PM

Car: 2013 outback 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mike what are the lights in the lower radiator intake, and where and how did you mount them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 PM

Car: 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
I'm a big fan of Totron LED bars, I've used them for years now. The main and only advantage of Rigid is the lifetime no questions asked warranty. Doesn't matter what happened to it, they'll replace it. As far as output, size, and fitiment, Totron bars seem the exact same.

I've had a 20" on the front of my 3500 for over 35,000 miles now. I also replaced the fog lights with Totron D2's (Just like the Rigid D2's). I've been thinking about how to incorporate LED's onto the Outback.

After seeing some of Grants work, getting an idea for what's behind the grill, I'm thinking flush mount D2 lights would fit really well. The down sided being ballsy enough to cut holes in a brand new outback fascia.

To me, the 20" is still to bright to be used on public roads. It's insane how much light that little of a bar can produce. It kept me from driving off high walls in quarries however, so it's worth it's weight in gold off road.

post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 05:22 PM

Car: 2000 OBW w/ auto trans
I don't post a lot here, but I really enjoy my LED bars.

20" up front with two LED fog lamps, and two 4" units on the back for reverse lights. All purchased off Amazon (under $100 for everything I believe).

Front lights are all wired to the high beams, while the back lights are wired into the reverse lamps. No extra switches needed.

The yellow fogs are purposely angled to the sides.

dcginc likes this.

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Finally installed my roof mounted LED light bar last week. Still tiding up the wiring harness.

Needless to say, a ton of light output
OpenRoads likes this.

'15 Ice Silver Metallic Premium Outback
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:53 AM

Very Nice!

How are you bringing the wiring in from the roof without causing a seal or wind noise issue?
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:20 PM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
I found this site online for light bar security. Just an idea from keeping the average thief from stealing.
LED Light Bar Security

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
2004 Ford F150 FX4
1996 BMW R1100RT
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:56 PM

Car: 2016 Limited 2.5 silver Eyesight
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapasta View Post
I don't post a lot here, but I really enjoy my LED bars.

20" up front with two LED fog lamps, and two 4" units on the back for reverse lights. All purchased off Amazon (under $100 for everything I believe).

Front lights are all wired to the high beams, while the back lights are wired into the reverse lamps. No extra switches needed.

The yellow fogs are purposely angled to the sides.

I like the led bar.
I had my aftermarket fogs on last vehicle getting relay signal of the parking lights (parking lights on and fog worked; parking lights off fogs off; high low didn't matter)
I found when I need fogs I want high beams off (in some cases low beams off too).
My outback only lets fogs on with low beam (off with high beams, off with parking or daytime lights ).

Bill P. Albany area NY 2016 2.5 Silver Eyesight
greenwood143 likes this.

Bill
2016 2.5 Limited Silver eyesight Albany Ny area
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 07:39 PM

Car: 2000 Outback LTD wagon, AWD, 2.5l flat four, 4sp slush-pumper
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bennett View Post
The current draw on LED bars is surprisingly low. My 20" draws 10 amps. I'm guessing a 40" bar would be around twice that.
Depending on the maker, yes... I have a 30-incher on the front end of my K3500 that draws just under 15 amps, while generating a small sun's worth of lumens. I'm seriously thinking of relocating it to the front end of Wanderlust's roof basket.

Dave
Central MI, when I'm not working elsewhere
'00 Outback Limited AWD wagon, "Wanderlust"

"Adventures suck while you're having them."
-Neal Peart
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
How are you bringing the wiring in from the roof without causing a seal or wind noise issue?

The wiring harness is compact enough that it neatly stuff in the channel (gap) next to driver's side A pillar where the windshield meets.

Then up to those blocky, chunky Subaru OEM Roof rails. At that point, the harness is tucked under the rail, then the harness comes out the inside of the roof rail right where the LED bar is.

As for going from bottom of windshield into engine compartment, easy again. Open your hood, pop off that triangular piece of black plastic cowling thing, run wires under that, pop the thing back on!

Voila, you are all done, no mounting hardware, or harnesses showing. I've driven with it like this for close to three months, still good.

From time to time needing to check that harness stays seating in that channel next the windshield.

Hope that helps.

post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I should add, 'hat tip' to the lads at NW Running Boards in metro Port OR for the idea to run the wiring harness as it is, their idea, not mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: