LED Light Bars - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LED Light Bars

Anybody mount a light bar on the roof for off road driving? Would like to learn tips on products, mounting, wiring. Would like it to be removable as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Car: 2016 Outback 2.5
I was going to mount mine on a light bar on the front but was concerned about hitting something and tearing it up or someone ripping it off. I ended up installing it in the grill which solved both concerns.

I was limited to a 20" bar with this configuration but it works fine for my use. I thought about mounting a wider bar on the roof but I was afraid it would interfere with my kayak/bike racks, plus the aforementioned security issue.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4752.JPG
Views:	9395
Size:	534.7 KB
ID:	185354  
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 PM

wow, mike!

you have some electronics going on in the thing!!!

joel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 02:30 PM

Car: 97 Outback 207,000
smart thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bennett View Post
I was going to mount mine on a light bar on the front but was concerned about hitting something and tearing it up or someone ripping it off. I ended up installing it in the grill which solved both concerns.

I was limited to a 20" bar with this configuration but it works fine for my use. I thought about mounting a wider bar on the roof but I was afraid it would interfere with my kayak/bike racks, plus the aforementioned security issue.
They are being stolen around here so that is a good solution to the problem.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 AM

If you mounted on the roof and/or on a bar you could probably rig it up where it could be easily removed with the two mounting bolts and use a quick disconnect wiring plug. That could end up being a real pain though because that would mean taking it off every time you parked in a parking lot, because if it was easy for you to remove, it would be that much easier for a thief also.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thxs for the replies. Now that Yakima has come out w the 15 Landing Pads, i can use my round bars. Might consider a kit to mount a 40" led bar to that, but a temporary wiring harness still elludes me. Such a bar would draw too much to use a ciggie lighter plugin solution most likely. Idea is to mount the bar for those backroad weekend excusions. Most likely would have to remove if parked at a trailhead for a weekend etc..
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcginc View Post
Thxs for the replies. Now that Yakima has come out w the 15 Landing Pads, i can use my round bars. Might consider a kit to mount a 40" led bar to that, but a temporary wiring harness still elludes me. Such a bar would draw too much to use a ciggie lighter plugin solution most likely. Idea is to mount the bar for those backroad weekend excusions. Most likely would have to remove if parked at a trailhead for a weekend etc..
The current draw on LED bars is surprisingly low. My 20" draws 10 amps. I'm guessing a 40" bar would be around twice that. I rewired all my aux power plugs for continuous power with 20 amp fuses but I probably wouldn't want to run that much current for an extended time.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcginc View Post
Anybody mount a light bar on the roof for off road driving? Would like to learn tips on products, mounting, wiring. Would like it to be removable as well.
Here's my setup. First off, roof mount is a good idea. Light dispersion and throw is optimal high up.

I'm using a Rigid Industries SR2 10" in "driving" beam. May seem small but light output easily overtakes stock high beams. Which brings up another point on quality of light bar you select. I tried a few cheaper ones off amazon that were both physically larger, more LEDs, and rate higher lumen then the RI 10" but effective light output was no comparison. Problem with cheaper LED bars is that the beam is not well focused so you typically end up with a ton of light in the foreground and nothing thrown downrange so hotspots is a problem.

Mine is mounted to my roof rack. The rack stays on full time along with the light bracket. I notched the brackets that came with the light and used knobs so light is easily removed. Tested in rough terrain and highway speeds....very secure, partly due to size (weight) of light bar.

Roof rack and light was all taken off the VX when I traded-in for the OB so haven't completed the wiring but I'm doing something perhaps a bit different. I'll be running wires to the back into the trunk area and wire to secondary battery source, either a small AGM or my GoalZero Yeti. I elected for this setup to isolate the lighting and in some ways make it modular and transferable....which came in handy. For switching I'm using this....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PI9E4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
It's a really cool little remote on/off switch. Works great and impressive range. I have 2....one of which I wired with relay so can switch higher draw accessories but not really needed for the 10" bar. So downside is the switching is with a remote instead of a nice panel mounted switch on a your dash somewhere. But for me it works. I keep the fob with me at remote camps to switch the light on if needed. And since it runs on aux 12v source there no dependency on ignition switch.
dcginc likes this.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:21 AM

I second the RIGID INDUSTRIES lights. I'm running an E2, 20" combo.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 01:01 PM

Car: 2015 outback. it goes offroad
Garage
Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
20" on the light bar

dcginc, Banville77 and doughney like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Use Code "Outback" For 5% off
-2015 Outback
Thanks to:
-
-
-
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: