front bumper - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default front bumper

I have busted up my front bumper (I used to have a truck and still haven't gotten used to driving a car, less clearance), I was wondering about how much I should expect to get a new one? Well, not new, a used one in excellent condition would suffice. Would most people be able to figure out how to take off the current bumper and replace it or is that something I should definitely take to someone? Any suggestions in this area would be great!
heathen7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

What vehicle?

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh! Sorry, I completely forgot! I have a 2001 Subaru outback. LLBean, I have studied the difference much, so I don't know if that matters. Also, it's the bottom part of the bumper, like all below the line in the middle, can I just get a bumper guard? Or will it have to be a whole new bumper?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Can you post a pic? It depends on the damage. There are a few aftermarket metal skip plate options that would probably be of use for you, but if you damaged where they bolt into, you'd need a new bumper first I think.

2000-04 will physically fit, I think there was a mild facelift in 03 that might leave you with a not quite exact fit if you find an 03 or 04.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2002 VDC Sedan

If it''s just the bumper cover, it's fairly easy to take off, a bolt to the fender in the wheel well, a bolt to the bottom brace, also in wheel well, you have to take the front plastic plugs out of the inner fender liner, it will bend back out of the way. Pull the plastic plugs along the front, 5 of them I think, and it's off.

If the bumper beam is damaged it's pretty simple too, it's held on by 4 nuts on each side. Just pull the fog brackets, take the nuts out through the holes in the front and tap the ends outward evenly and it'll come off the studs.

If you want to see some pics of what it looks like underneath the cover, check out my rebuild thread (Front end rebuild project

Dog

Whiteline strut tower brace, Primitive Racing 3/16" skidplate, PIAA 520 Chrystal Ion fogs w/50w 3000k HID, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.0 18x8.5, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/50/18, FX-R retrofit kit, 5000k, 50w - retrofit in progress.
ScoobyDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here are the pics of my 'baru, I haven't had this car for very long and it is my first 'baru, so any advice on how to fix this would be great. I've been looking at pics I can find and am I wrong to think that an underguard would fix this? I want to get one since this happened, so if I can get that instead of a new bumper, that'd be great!
Attached Thumbnails
front bumper-misc-004.jpg   front bumper-misc-005.jpg   front bumper-misc-006.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen7 View Post
Here are the pics of my 'baru, I haven't had this car for very long and it is my first 'baru, so any advice on how to fix this would be great. I've been looking at pics I can find and am I wrong to think that an underguard would fix this? I want to get one since this happened, so if I can get that instead of a new bumper, that'd be great!
Looks like a clean break. Don't laugh but there is a great epoxy made for just this sort of thing. It's called GFlex its a flexible two part epoxy we use it in the boat business amazing stuff. There is even a Youtube video of a plastic kayak being cut in half with a skill saw - glued back together with the gflex then all sorts of crazy stunts done with the kayak which holds together as if it was never in two pieces.

I suspect that you could get away with the gflex idea you need a solid 30hrs cure time in a fairly warm garage 70degree temps are best. It would be worth trying. You can get the gflex at any marine type store comes in two fairly small bottles but you don't need much to make it work. Biggest thing is to see if you can press the split backtogether with few gaps in the edges.

A new bumper from the supplier is going to be a couple Hundred bucks Junk yard if you can find one would be cheaper but finding a plastic bumper at a junk yard is like trying to find a unwrecked car at the junk yard.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

If you go Gflex route use acitone to clean up the plastic where the glue will go.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: