Subaru Outback Forums banner

Outback legacy 2005

744 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AWDFTW 
#1 ·
I just bought this 05 and I am new to working on cars I want to learn and figure out the work my self not take it to a shop. I have an automatic transmission. I always hear people say that stick is what you should mod and that auto is not worth it. I want to start with an exhaust upgrade but have no clue what will add power and make my car all around better. And suggestions or places for information?

#2 ·
If that is a plain 4 cylinder it is already making as much hp and torque as it can right now.

and you can throw thousands at trying to get it from 170hp to 180hp with intake and exhaust and get very little real gains from the driving experience.

trade it for a 6 cylinder subaru,
and call it a day,..... 2005-2009 with about 245hp and 219torque.

#3 ·
^ That.

It's not like there's nothing you can do to improve it, just that it's difficult, costs a lot, and there isn't much headroom to grow into.

By far, the best bang-for-the-buck performance improvement you can do on that car is weight reduction. Eliminate the spare & tools, remove any seats you aren't filling, get lighter wheels and tires.

#4 ·
The main basics are already stated.

Make sure everything is in top shape regarding fluids and service parts. Make sure suspension, tires, and brakes are in good shape.

The ride can be improved through suspension, tires, wheels, brakes. Power...not so much for cost vs performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.