Cheapest power upgrades for 2005 OB XT - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2005 Outback XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheapest power upgrades for 2005 OB XT

Hey guys, just wondering what would be the easiest and best power upgrades for my OB. I am in college, not super car savy myself. I know basics but pretty much would need to have pro help installing almost anything as I do not have the tools or knowledge or place to do it. A chip maybe ? Cool air intake ? I take it a turbo upgrade is very pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
Bang for the buck is a used sti up pipe or a gutted stock one and a cnt downpipe or a gutted stock one. That plus a tune will transform your car. Cold air intake is wasted money since the stock one wont hold you back unless you upgrade to a bigger turbo. Chips don't actually do anything.

If that's too much, then just a tune will make a difference.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
I'm looking at doing this one myself, if only to avoid the catted up-pipe liability.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, what is a "tune" and where can I get one ? Does it just involve them reprogramming the ECU ?? Thanks again
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
Yes. It's just reprogramming the ecu. There are several options. The cheapest method is to get an ebay vag-com cable and download romraider and ecuflash. Then you have the option of attempting your own tune or going with someone like infamous performance on legacyGT.com.

I'm not sure what their current price is, but it's definitely cheaper than a dyno tune. You get a base map that you have to flash, then you datalog with romraider and send them the info. They will revise the tune I think up to 7 times. The good part is that they have some good customer service and will walk you through it every step of the way.

I can tell you from my experience just replacing the up pipe and tuning it myself that you can get a good bump in power from just upping the boost from 13.5 to 16 and making the timing safe. A downpipe really makes a huge difference though.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I love the "hop" grenade by the way....a fellow hop head myself !!!!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to oldskoolbiker
Take a look at this:
CobbTuning.com - 05-06 AccessPORT
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 PM

Car: '06 XT 5AET
Sorry for jumping in here, but I too have just obtained a OBXT and i was wondering which downpipe is better Cnt one or the Cobb downpipe which has that high flow catalytic with it and costs 3x the amount of the Cnt?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:05 AM

Car: '05 OBXT
I run the cobb "catted" downpipe and it rocks. I bought it used but in excellent condition from someone on the LGT forum. I also have the Cobb Access Port and maps from RalliTek (might be a tad difficult to get now it appears, but Sean at RalliTek was very helpful and dialing in my map). If I had to do it over again I might go with the ebay cable but at the time I was worried about frying my car and the Cobb was easy. Install of the pipe was a snap, you hear some turbo whistle (not much, just a little). No rattles, no BS tin crap on the outside like the stock exhaust, and it has remained perfectly sealed since I did it over a year ago. It still sounds stock. Add the stage 2 tune and just try and act like an adult. Passes emissions no problem.

'05 OBXT Limited 5EAT
Cobb AP (RalliTEK stage 2 map)
Rally Armor flaps
RalliTEK rear overload springs
Cobb down pipe
Goodyear Triple Treads
Muffler delete
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM

Car: '06 XT 5AET
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
just try and act like an adult.
^ Best part of that post

Yeah I will probably go Cobb pipe and AccessPort also, but get a Borla Exhaust, cuz that is what i have on my Impreza and it just sounds wonderful . Thanks for the heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: