Replace Terrible Horn? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replace Terrible Horn?

I just purchased a 2017 Outback and am generally satisfied with the vehicle. But I HATE the horn... sound like a bad version of the roadrunner. Will changing the horn affect the warrantee? If so, I guess I'll wait out the 3 yr. 36000 mile coverage before I do anything.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
You have a lot of options. Generally speaking you can bolt in any horn you like. You won't have any warranty problems unless you somehow manage to butcher the electrical system.

Subaru uses very ordinary horns, so they're very easy to augment or replace. You might need to add a relay for a very high powered horn but for many installations that step isn't required.

There are many threads on this site covering exactly this subject, so a quick search will get you some useful results on wiring and mount locations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Performance Valve Body

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I can't understand why an auto manufacturer would invest so much into developing an advanced vehicle and end up utilizing such a sub-standard horn. I was totally surprised by the sound.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:13 AM

Car: 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
Since most drivers totally ignore sirens and lights on a emergency vehicle, do you think they'll pay attention to a average car horn? Probably why Subaru didn't spend much $$ on it.

I think you'd need an electric train horn to get most drivers to stop texting and pay attention to their driving.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Car: 2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
You should hear the Forester horn!! EMBARRASSING!!!!!!!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
Hella supertones

FIAMM

HIghway Blasters

as said, many options. Some folks use the existing relay and wires and are happy - but usually you'll get loudest results with new wiring from the battery and a separate relay.

your car is kinda new, but probably any write-up or youtube video would be helpful.

Time Flies Like an Arrow,
Fruit Flies Like a Banana!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:52 AM

Car: 05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
I install Hella Supertones. Just buy or make a wire harness and they bolt right up behind the grill.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:09 AM

Car: 2000 Outback LTD wagon, AWD, 2.5l flat four, 4sp slush-pumper
Garage
Definitely Fiamms, but I went with the El Grandes instead. MUCH fuller tone, certainly gets attention. They make the Blasters sound like the OEM Subie horns.

The only thing louder in my experience would be a full-tilt air horn system.

Dave
Central MI, when I'm not working elsewhere
'00 Outback Limited AWD wagon, "Wanderlust"

"Adventures suck while you're having them."
-Neal Peart
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:20 PM

Car: 2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
I remember honking to alert a car that was about to back into me, and wondering if the horn was even loud enough for the other driver to hear. And that pathetic tone! So, changing the horns was one of the very first mods I did on my Outback.

By far the Hella Supertones are the most popular aftermarket horn option on Subarus. You will see them on WRX cars all over. They are very loud. But after listening to sound clips on Youtube, I was concerned that, while the Supertones are very loud, the tone sounds like the Roadrunner on steroids. So I went with the PIAA Sports Horns, 500Hz/600Hz. P/N 85112. They are rated 2 or 3 db less than the Supertones, but they are still plenty loud. And, imho, the tome is so much nicer.

It seems that the only risk to the warranty would be related to the horns and horn circuit. All the rest of your warranty should be OK.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:27 PM

When I hear the horn, I expect to see a 10 year old girl on a bicycle. Not very manly at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: