Where to find innter tie rod boots? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to find innter tie rod boots?

I have a 2000 outback. I had a thread before about some issues I've been having with it.

Getting off topic but the rattle and hum I heard wound up being a bad bearing, seized caliper and bad inner tie rod ends.

Back on topic, my mechanic replaced the inner tie rod ends and did an alignment, how ever said they won't last with out new boots, the current ones just hang there. He didn't replace these because he said they were about $25 a piece and is sure there are cheaper ones out there and he didn't have time to look.

I did a quick google search and called a couple local parts stores and can't find any at all.

TLDR:
Can some one please help me find reasonably priced inner tie rod end boots for a 2000 out back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
Did you look at rockauto.com?

My other car is a Subaru.... Come to think of it, so is my other other car
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

I'll check it now.

Also, am I looking for the right thing? This is what he described it to me as and the parts stores I've called either don't show a listing or the most recent one said he's never heard of it and said it might be the ones on the rack an pinion, but that shouldn't relate to the tie rods.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

okay, did a bit more research my self leaving off "inner" and found
these

Subaru Steering Tie Rod End Boot - Buy Subaru Steering Tie Rod End Boot Online

could they be it? or am I looking for something more of like a cv boot. Tried looking under the car and couldn't see much. If I don't get this figured out by the next nice day I'll jack it up and get a better look under there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
no - that's the outer tie rod boot, neat they sell those, i've never even seen those sold for Subaru's individually.

anyway - search for "Steering Rack boots" instead.
shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Steering-Rack-Boot-Kit-Beck-Arnley_18023848-P_88_R|GRPCHASAMS_____

he had it all apart and didnt' replace them for $25, that seems silly...so now he's going to charge you $50 labor to install your "cheaper" boots again now that it's all back together?

i googled it and they're easy to find...rockauto, advanced auto parts...
just look for steering rack boots.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
no - that's the outer tie rod boot, neat they sell those, i've never even seen those sold for Subaru's individually.

anyway - search for "Steering Rack boots" instead.
shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Steering-Rack-Boot-Kit-Beck-Arnley_18023848-P_88_R|GRPCHASAMS_____

he had it all apart and didnt' replace them for $25, that seems silly...so now he's going to charge you $50 labor to install your "cheaper" boots again now that it's all back together?

i googled it and they're easy to find...rockauto, advanced auto parts...
just look for steering rack boots.
Yeah I was wondering about that myself, as well as if it's going to need another alignment once installed.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
Odds are if the outer ones have had ripped boots this long, you may as well jst get new outer tie rod ends.

I don't like your mechanic, but it is boat season, maybe he has dock fees to pay.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper View Post
Odds are if the outer ones have had ripped boots this long, you may as well jst get new outer tie rod ends.

I don't like your mechanic, but it is boat season, maybe he has dock fees to pay.

He's been fair priced and done a few favors in the past. I wasn't thinking at the time but will definitely have to question if he's really saving me anything by having to do labor again. I just ordered a set of 2 for $15 with free shipping as compared to $50 for the set like he found. So if they don't take over an hour to put in, or need an alignment again I'd still be ahead.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper
Tie rods can be done, inner or outer, by a good mechanic without an alignment. It is as simple as counting threads or using a measuring tape.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah there's multiple ways to maintain alignment, not a big deal and he should have done this many times by now.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: