Subaru brand cargo boxes - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
No shortage of recent homework for me on this topic because my old box wouldn't work with my 2013.

The homework included trial of a few boxes and input from associates who have different models and gen 4 Outbacks.

Bike and ski shops will often have stock. Yakima should be able to help you find dealers. No need for an REI membership but you get a dividend if you are a member. Two associates I have IMBA (which got my car discount) and Bicycle Federation membership got discounts same as or greater than REI dividend. I got 20% off on a Yakima.

I had a longer model in the past that would fit old school or classic Nordic ski length. That length and size came in handy at other times so I went with the Skybox 18 to get it again but specifically the Skybox 18 because of rear hatch clearance. Some similar Thule models would rub on high mount brake light.

The Thule internal mount might be better if you will re-adjust the box to different racks often.

The Yakima shape seems quieter and more streamlined but I didn't get any real world evidence you'll get superior fuel mileage.

New boxes require key in them. I never had an accident after years of use with my old one but I got stories from others that explained why it's as is now.

The prices will vary with both makers if you get fancy painted top and models that include internal mat for padding and a net. I find hardware store bungie cords and foam drawer matting to do that just fine for pennies on the $.

I'm more of a function over fancy guy but several did tell me the longer and larger Yakimas look better on the Outback.

My query to Yakima about parts for older stuff, making my old unit work and new ones got a response from a rep saying they supposedly worked with Subaru to have good fit and clearance because Subaru labels and re-sells their products. Who knows if that's truth or in inside sales rep trying hard.

Regardless I'll bet calling bike and ski shops will get you a good box without a 2 hour drive. Joining a bike fed or similar probably costs less than the discount and does good.

Finally the size of my old classic Rocketbox now sold really came in handy a few times - we're talking so handy that it could carry longer items and bulk others could not carry so I kept that in mind and got the Skybox 18 instead. That longer size was also nice for putting dirty and wet stuff outside of your car and separate from clean and dry stuff.

Good luck.
I had Yakima 16 S previously (that I had on my 2010 Forester) but I found it (optically) too large on 13 OB. So I sold it on Carigs list and got the Subaru small cargo box; it fits and looks good! I wish it had a side entry but when you step on rear wheel you have a nice access to the rear entry from that position.
jogosub is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
No shortage of recent homework for me on this topic because my old box wouldn't work with my 2013.

The homework included trial of a few boxes and input from associates who have different models and gen 4 Outbacks.

Bike and ski shops will often have stock. Yakima should be able to help you find dealers. No need for an REI membership but you get a dividend if you are a member. Two associates I have IMBA (which got my car discount) and Bicycle Federation membership got discounts same as or greater than REI dividend. I got 20% off on a Yakima.

I had a longer model in the past that would fit old school or classic Nordic ski length. That length and size came in handy at other times so I went with the Skybox 18 to get it again but specifically the Skybox 18 because of rear hatch clearance. Some similar Thule models would rub on high mount brake light.

The Thule internal mount might be better if you will re-adjust the box to different racks often.

The Yakima shape seems quieter and more streamlined but I didn't get any real world evidence you'll get superior fuel mileage.

New boxes require key in them. I never had an accident after years of use with my old one but I got stories from others that explained why it's as is now.

The prices will vary with both makers if you get fancy painted top and models that include internal mat for padding and a net. I find hardware store bungie cords and foam drawer matting to do that just fine for pennies on the $.

I'm more of a function over fancy guy but several did tell me the longer and larger Yakimas look better on the Outback.

My query to Yakima about parts for older stuff, making my old unit work and new ones got a response from a rep saying they supposedly worked with Subaru to have good fit and clearance because Subaru labels and re-sells their products. Who knows if that's truth or in inside sales rep trying hard.

Regardless I'll bet calling bike and ski shops will get you a good box without a 2 hour drive. Joining a bike fed or similar probably costs less than the discount and does good.

Finally the size of my old classic Rocketbox now sold really came in handy a few times - we're talking so handy that it could carry longer items and bulk others could not carry so I kept that in mind and got the Skybox 18 instead. That longer size was also nice for putting dirty and wet stuff outside of your car and separate from clean and dry stuff.

Good luck.
Thank you. All of you have been so helpful. You must have sent good vibes my way because I got up this morning and thought the same thing. Ski shops. We actually live about 50 min. from a ski slope. So I found a small outfit that sells ski stuff and stopped in there. They had several boxes to choose from. It was nice to actually see something in person. They sell various Yakima boxes but did not have any skybox 16s in stock. They said since its hard to fit skis they are not a great seller for them. They had a skybox 12 for 399.00 Although it fits the outback, the sales person said that he owns a subaru and you cant open the hatch with that box. This is important because we have dogs and the larger dog would be in the back. He did tell me that he already ordered a few more boxes including the 16s. He said it may come in before the weekend. They took my name and number. Then I left not asking the price. daaa. So not sure how much they want since each place seems to vary.

I do like the clamp design. Seems easier to work with. If that is the box we choose I would rather pay a little extra that REI due to time, gas cost and taxes. Chicago has a high sales tax so it would even out in the end if this particular shop wants more than REI.
misfitmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
I had Yakima 16 S previously (that I had on my 2010 Forester) but I found it (optically) too large on 13 OB. So I sold it on Carigs list and got the Subaru small cargo box; it fits and looks good! I wish it had a side entry but when you step on rear wheel you have a nice access to the rear entry from that position.
Interesting. The woman at the shop did say it was a bulky look due to it being shorter. I will have to google some pics. I did a quick craigslist search just to see if I would get lucky but only found ski racks for sale. Thanks for your observation.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocCityOutback View Post
The subaru boxes look nice, I would have bought one but couldn't find any in stock when I needed to buy a few years ago.

I bought a sears x-cargo x-treme cartop box which is made by Thule. They are 260 right now at sears.com and I assume you could pickup in store. I have enjoyed about 4 years with mine, fits my 11 just great, no clearance issues with hatch. I assume it would fit the 13 as well, but I know that there have been some changes to the roof rack arrangement. It bolts on with four sets of pressure plates that clamp the crossmembers of the roof rack. It opens from the passenger side, and fits my newer style downhill skis just fine (which are around 175cm i think. capacity is 16 cu ft. We have loaded that sucker up many times for vacations with 2 kids. I know that sometimes the rebranded boxes (whether they are sears or subaru) have fewer features than the ones that Thule or Yakima brands themselves. Things like dual side opening, better top supports, and sometime better locks.
Thanks. After I hit the ski shop I did pop into Sears. I saw the box you are talking about. Its a serious contender due to price. It also has a grayish black look to it that is very close to the color of my car. I liked that. The price was 299. I will have to see if its cheaper through their website. They have them in stock. The price is a big draw for me because this is our first cargo box and Im trying to be realistic on how much we will use it. If its only going to be once or twice a year, then maybe I should go cheaper. The sales guy didnt know much about them. It does not have the clamp design like the Yakima and Thule expensive models. The sales guy said that I would want to buy the quick release kit to go with it. He said it makes it easier taking the box off but again its not the all in one clamp system I noticed with the more expensive boxes.

Oh decisions....decisions....
Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Limited w/EyeSight

Quote:
I don't know what optically too large is but know 14 years of old style standard Rocket Box had occasions where it worked and models other associates had did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitmonroe View Post
Thank you. All of you have been so helpful. You must have sent good vibes my way because I got up this morning and thought the same thing. Ski shops. We actually live about 50 min. from a ski slope. So I found a small outfit that sells ski stuff and stopped in there. They had several boxes to choose from. It was nice to actually see something in person. They sell various Yakima boxes but did not have any skybox 16s in stock. They said since its hard to fit skis they are not a great seller for them. They had a skybox 12 for 399.00 Although it fits the outback, the sales person said that he owns a subaru and you cant open the hatch with that box. This is important because we have dogs and the larger dog would be in the back. He did tell me that he already ordered a few more boxes including the 16s. He said it may come in before the weekend. They took my name and number. Then I left not asking the price. daaa. So not sure how much they want since each place seems to vary.

I do like the clamp design. Seems easier to work with. If that is the box we choose I would rather pay a little extra that REI due to time, gas cost and taxes. Chicago has a high sales tax so it would even out in the end if this particular shop wants more than REI.
I don't know what current REI membership costs but your dividend from a $400-500 purchase will probably pay for it. I've been a member for about 35 years so surely got my money back.

YMMV, but you mention dog. Add that to why I again, got one with good size AND length. My hatch clears and long items can go on top with people and dog inside.

The old box I had and my new one let the old car and the Outback do what would otherwise require our minivan. I don't know your intentions for use, but trust me with regard to how the larger box was worth it if only a few times.

Oh, so far the shape of the 18 seems better than my old Rocketbox in wind and at highway speed.
imwjl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

IMWJL:
Read misfitmonroe's post earlier to see, what it means! Seems that I am not the only one, who thinks that 16S Yakima Skybox looks too bulky on 13 OB.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

misfitmonroe
The only draw back of Subaru cargo box is that it does not have the quick on/off clamps, like Thule or Yakima has. I was looking earlier on these pages to buy an extra set of OEM swing out bars but nobody has any for sale. I was planning to keep the box permanently affixed to cross bars. That way I can take the box with cross bars on/off. But, I have communicated with Yakima and they are designing a new set of landing pads for 2013 OB (the landing pads 16 do not fit 2013 application. They should be out first quarter of 2013. I will then buy Yakima landing pads, Yakima towers and Yakima round cross bars and have the Subaru box permamently affixed to Yakima cross bars. Then I can take the box on/of with all Yakima gear attached and still keep Subaru OEM cross bars folded on the car.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know what optically too large is but know 14 years of old style standard Rocket Box had occasions where it worked and models other associates had did not.

I don't know what current REI membership costs but your dividend from a $400-500 purchase will probably pay for it. I've been a member for about 35 years so surely got my money back.

YMMV, but you mention dog. Add that to why I again, got one with good size AND length. My hatch clears and long items can go on top with people and dog inside.

The old box I had and my new one let the old car and the Outback do what would otherwise require our minivan. I don't know your intentions for use, but trust me with regard to how the larger box was worth it if only a few times.

Oh, so far the shape of the 18 seems better than my old Rocketbox in wind and at highway speed.
So the 18 fits your Outback and you can still open the hatch? I believe the shop had both the skybox 12 and 18. Both were 92 inches in length. The 18 was a bit wider. I was told I wouldn't be able to open the hatch. The sales person also stated that I dont want to put the box too far forward because it would hang over the windshield a bit and cause the wind/air flow... whatever to try and lift the box putting a lot of pressure on the roof rails.

I kind of like the longer box because it would fit skis.Not that I ski. lol. But I used to and since these boxes are not cheap, I was thinking about trying to make it as universal as possible. So lets say I get back into skiing (since we do have a slope near by) I just like that option. My husband also wants the option of putting his golf clubs up there. Right now the purpose is when we go home to visit family, it would be nice to put the luggage up top so my teenager and 2 dogs are not cramped in the car. I love to camp so this is my other intention. I realize the weight is only max of 150 lbs so I know I cant move a house but again, these boxes are expensive so I want to make it as useful as possible.

Thanks for the tip about REI.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
misfitmonroe
The only draw back of Subaru cargo box is that it does not have the quick on/off clamps, like Thule or Yakima has. I was looking earlier on these pages to buy an extra set of OEM swing out bars but nobody has any for sale. I was planning to keep the box permanently affixed to cross bars. That way I can take the box with cross bars on/off. But, I have communicated with Yakima and they are designing a new set of landing pads for 2013 OB (the landing pads 16 do not fit 2013 application. They should be out first quarter of 2013. I will then buy Yakima landing pads, Yakima towers and Yakima round cross bars and have the Subaru box permamently affixed to Yakima cross bars. Then I can take the box on/of with all Yakima gear attached and still keep Subaru OEM cross bars folded on the car.
ahhh...good to know. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Limited w/EyeSight

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitmonroe View Post
So the 18 fits your Outback and you can still open the hatch?
Absolutely fits but there is only about 2 cm from the plastic high mount stop light.

Again, car is a 2013. All I did was loosen the mounts inside, move the box all the way forward relative to the bar spacing, centered relative to the shark fin.

I did see a 16S on roof of a different wagon at our ski club when I had the 18. Maybe the longer 18 gives you an edge with regard to aesthetics for some, worse for the eyes of others. Trust me that function is important for something like this. There were a few times when size and length from our old box made all the difference so I'm glad I got the one that will carry classic skis, a lamp with 5 of us in the car or space to separate wet and dirty stuff from other on a camping trip.

I'm not used to new boxes needing the key to open and close but wow do I love the improved mounting hardware and ease of adjustment.

Sorry, but I don't remember the specific Thule with similar length I put on the roof that didn't clear like the 18 Yakima. They have many models so I want to be fair and point out they could have one that clears as well.

Full disclosure: If I had the garage space and budget I might want a box dedicated to skis only.
imwjl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: