Subaru brand cargo boxes - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Absolutely fits but there is only about 2 cm from the plastic high mount stop light.

Again, car is a 2013. All I did was loosen the mounts inside, move the box all the way forward relative to the bar spacing, centered relative to the shark fin.

I did see a 16S on roof of a different wagon at our ski club when I had the 18. Maybe the longer 18 gives you an edge with regard to aesthetics for some, worse for the eyes of others. Trust me that function is important for something like this. There were a few times when size and length from our old box made all the difference so I'm glad I got the one that will carry classic skis, a lamp with 5 of us in the car or space to separate wet and dirty stuff from other on a camping trip.

I'm not used to new boxes needing the key to open and close but wow do I love the improved mounting hardware and ease of adjustment.

Sorry, but I don't remember the specific Thule with similar length I put on the roof that didn't clear like the 18 Yakima. They have many models so I want to be fair and point out they could have one that clears as well.

Full disclosure: If I had the garage space and budget I might want a box dedicated to skis only.
Thanks for reply. So we decided to make our trip without a box. The local Yakima dealer didnt get their shipment in before we left and I got tired of dealing with trying to find one. We loaded up the car and dealt with the cramped space. We got to our destination, exchanged gifts with family and had that ut oh moment. We were completely packed on the way there and now had even more stuff to bring home!

So I googled and there was a REI store only 30 min. away from where our family lives. We made the drive (what a nice store by the way). They had pretty much everything in stock. The pros and the regular. Really nice displays where you could actually look at the boxes, open and so forth. The staff were knowledgeable and offered the pros and cons of the Yakima and the Thule boxes. After discussing it with my husband he liked the idea of the shorter and fatter box. Since we haven't went skiing in years, it made more sense to think about how it would work camping. An activity we know we will do. So we went with the Yakima Skybox 16s (I didnt think the pro version was worth the extra 100 bucks). Bought a membership also, seems like it was worth it and they had a promo where if you spend a 100 bucks you get a free 20 dollar gift card so the membership is basically free at this point.

My gripes are that the box came plastered with stickers! Ugh. A few came off very easily and the others did not. Partly tore off but leaving all the glue intact (I hate that). So we have to use some goof off to fix that. Also the Yakima sticker which I dont seem to mind is starting to come off. I dont think those will last long. Not a big deal really just an observation. We were able to load quite a bit into the box and our drive home was in a fierce downpour. Everything stayed dry. Noticed a little wind noise and our MPG didn't suffer at all or from what I could tell. The only mishap we had was my husband didnt latch one side tightly and then went over to the other side to open it and the whole lid popped partly off. We were home at this point so it wasn't a big deal but it is a bit of work for me since Im short. I had to stand on my tip toes getting it on and off, looking like a goofball ballerina. So we took the box off and got it back together again while it was on the ground. Lesson learned make sure its completely latched on one side before opening the other side! We are a little bummed that our car wont clear the garage door with it on. Although the header is high enough, our door doesnt completely go all the way in. It is big and awkward and we are now trying to figure out where to store it. Seen some cool ideas of people making hoists and putting them up on the ceiling. Might consider that. Thanks for all the feedback. It was very helpful in making our decision.
misfitmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: