Subaru brand cargo boxes - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
misfitmonroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subaru brand cargo boxes

Forgive me, I know the topic of cargo boxes has already been covered. I have read almost every thread on this forum but I haven't seen anything about the Subaru boxes specifically. I know Thule and Yakima are the preferred brands (and possible maker of the Subaru box) but it appears time restraints is going to be a problem for me.

We had a surprise come up where we have to leave town this weekend. We had plans to buy a box but didn't think we would need it so soon. Today is Tuesday morning so Im in a little bit of a pickle. I have called every sports type place in the area and they do sell them but not in the stores. The boxes need to be ordered. No way I would get it by this weekend. Sears supposedly have some in stock but not the specific models that most on here say are the good ones. So that leaves me with the dealership or driving to Chicago (a 2 hr ride one way) to a REI store. I have never been to this store and heard something about a membership. Don't even know what that is all about. Also the price of the Subaru box and the Yakima box I was looking at are the same price. Although the dealer does not have any in stock, I am told they could order today and I would get it by friday. I just dont know what makes the Subaru box a good choice. I can't even find any info on the internet. Even pictures are hard to come by.

Anyone own a Subaru box? Im wondering if I should just bite the bullet and make the drive to Chicago.
misfitmonroe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Registered User
 
jogosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rolling Hills/PV-CA displaced in NW Florida.
Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Posts: 4,953
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitmonroe View Post
Forgive me, I know the topic of cargo boxes has already been covered. I have read almost every thread on this forum but I haven't seen anything about the Subaru boxes specifically. I know Thule and Yakima are the preferred brands (and possible maker of the Subaru box) but it appears time restraints is going to be a problem for me.

We had a surprise come up where we have to leave town this weekend. We had plans to buy a box but didn't think we would need it so soon. Today is Tuesday morning so Im in a little bit of a pickle. I have called every sports type place in the area and they do sell them but not in the stores. The boxes need to be ordered. No way I would get it by this weekend. Sears supposedly have some in stock but not the specific models that most on here say are the good ones. So that leaves me with the dealership or driving to Chicago (a 2 hr ride one way) to a REI store. I have never been to this store and heard something about a membership. Don't even know what that is all about. Also the price of the Subaru box and the Yakima box I was looking at are the same price. Although the dealer does not have any in stock, I am told they could order today and I would get it by friday. I just dont know what makes the Subaru box a good choice. I can't even find any info on the internet. Even pictures are hard to come by.

Anyone own a Subaru box? Im wondering if I should just bite the bullet and make the drive to Chicago.
I bought one from the dealer (Subaru cargo box). It's made for Subaru by Thule. It's about half the price of what you would pay Thule. I've paid $ 199 for it (tax included). One thing though, have the dealer put it together and install it on your car. The assembly instructions are vague and it's quite a time consuming job. Most dealers will assemble it and install it if you buy it from them. I know I'got a good price because I had about 3 dealers quoting on it and one matched the lowest pricing that I have received. The only difference between original Thule and Subaru box is that Subaru box you have access from rear while Thule has access from both sides. But I figured that if you step on your rear wheel you have excellent access to Subaru box standing on the wheel. Otherwise, it's kind of hard to open and load it from the back. You would need step-ladder to open and load it that way.
jogosub is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
misfitmonroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
I bought one from the dealer (Subaru cargo box). It's made for Subaru by Thule. It's about half the price of what you would pay Thule. I've paid $ 199 for it (tax included). One thing though, have the dealer put it together and install it on your car. The assembly instructions are vague and it's quite a time consuming job. Most dealers will assemble it and install it if you buy it from them. I know I'got a good price because I had about 3 dealers quoting on it and one matched the lowest pricing that I have received. The only difference between original Thule and Subaru box is that Subaru box you have access from rear while Thule has access from both sides. But I figured that if you step on your rear wheel you have excellent access to Subaru box standing on the wheel. Otherwise, it's kind of hard to open and load it from the back. You would need step-ladder to open and load it that way.
Wow that is a great deal! I was quoted 329 for the small box and 429 for the larger box. Hmmm...wonder if I can get the dealer to bargain. Im short so either way Im gonna need a step ladder. lol. I wish I would have thought more about it when we bought the car. I probably could have bargained something in. Thanks for the quick reply!
misfitmonroe is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WI
Car: 2013 Limited w/EyeSight
Posts: 350
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No shortage of recent homework for me on this topic because my old box wouldn't work with my 2013.

The homework included trial of a few boxes and input from associates who have different models and gen 4 Outbacks.

Bike and ski shops will often have stock. Yakima should be able to help you find dealers. No need for an REI membership but you get a dividend if you are a member. Two associates I have IMBA (which got my car discount) and Bicycle Federation membership got discounts same as or greater than REI dividend. I got 20% off on a Yakima.

I had a longer model in the past that would fit old school or classic Nordic ski length. That length and size came in handy at other times so I went with the Skybox 18 to get it again but specifically the Skybox 18 because of rear hatch clearance. Some similar Thule models would rub on high mount brake light.

The Thule internal mount might be better if you will re-adjust the box to different racks often.

The Yakima shape seems quieter and more streamlined but I didn't get any real world evidence you'll get superior fuel mileage.

New boxes require key in them. I never had an accident after years of use with my old one but I got stories from others that explained why it's as is now.

The prices will vary with both makers if you get fancy painted top and models that include internal mat for padding and a net. I find hardware store bungie cords and foam drawer matting to do that just fine for pennies on the $.

I'm more of a function over fancy guy but several did tell me the longer and larger Yakimas look better on the Outback.

My query to Yakima about parts for older stuff, making my old unit work and new ones got a response from a rep saying they supposedly worked with Subaru to have good fit and clearance because Subaru labels and re-sells their products. Who knows if that's truth or in inside sales rep trying hard.

Regardless I'll bet calling bike and ski shops will get you a good box without a 2 hour drive. Joining a bike fed or similar probably costs less than the discount and does good.

Finally the size of my old classic Rocketbox now sold really came in handy a few times - we're talking so handy that it could carry longer items and bulk others could not carry so I kept that in mind and got the Skybox 18 instead. That longer size was also nice for putting dirty and wet stuff outside of your car and separate from clean and dry stuff.

Good luck.
imwjl is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Registered User
 
hiker74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Car: 2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
Posts: 549
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
I bought one from the dealer (Subaru cargo box). It's made for Subaru by Thule. It's about half the price of what you would pay Thule. I've paid $ 199 for it (tax included). One thing though, have the dealer put it together and install it on your car. The assembly instructions are vague and it's quite a time consuming job. Most dealers will assemble it and install it if you buy it from them. I know I'got a good price because I had about 3 dealers quoting on it and one matched the lowest pricing that I have received. The only difference between original Thule and Subaru box is that Subaru box you have access from rear while Thule has access from both sides. But I figured that if you step on your rear wheel you have excellent access to Subaru box standing on the wheel. Otherwise, it's kind of hard to open and load it from the back. You would need step-ladder to open and load it that way.
$199 is really low. What CUFT is yours? I am looking for one as well. The Subaru one is made by Thule and appears to be an Atlantis model from the shape of it
hiker74 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Registered User
 
jogosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rolling Hills/PV-CA displaced in NW Florida.
Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Posts: 4,953
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They (Subaru) only carry/sells 2 sizes; I've got the smaller one!
jogosub is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Car: 2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
Posts: 117
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The subaru boxes look nice, I would have bought one but couldn't find any in stock when I needed to buy a few years ago.

I bought a sears x-cargo x-treme cartop box which is made by Thule. They are 260 right now at sears.com and I assume you could pickup in store. I have enjoyed about 4 years with mine, fits my 11 just great, no clearance issues with hatch. I assume it would fit the 13 as well, but I know that there have been some changes to the roof rack arrangement. It bolts on with four sets of pressure plates that clamp the crossmembers of the roof rack. It opens from the passenger side, and fits my newer style downhill skis just fine (which are around 175cm i think. capacity is 16 cu ft. We have loaded that sucker up many times for vacations with 2 kids. I know that sometimes the rebranded boxes (whether they are sears or subaru) have fewer features than the ones that Thule or Yakima brands themselves. Things like dual side opening, better top supports, and sometime better locks.

Mine: 11 2.5i Limited w/Moonroof, Steel Silver Metallic
Mods: Philips Xtreme HID kit w/ relays, weathertech mats all around, 30% tint all around (not DIY), Tork Lift Hitch, 19mm Rear Anti-Sway Bar, Escort SmartRadar stealth install, OEM Interior Illumination Kit, Security System Shock Sensor, Rear Bumper Cover, side and rear cargo nets, rear seat back protectors, and Splash Guards.

Hers: 09 Forester 2.5x Prem., Metallic Black.
RocCityOutback is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Registered User
 
jogosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rolling Hills/PV-CA displaced in NW Florida.
Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Posts: 4,953
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's what Thule calls "sidekick"...
jogosub is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered User
 
jogosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rolling Hills/PV-CA displaced in NW Florida.
Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Posts: 4,953
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's what Thule calls "sidekick" but as I have mentioned, it's a custom made for Subaru with rear entry ... (Thule has side entry). Also the clamps are a bit different - the ones that Subaru sells fit the aero swing out cross bars while Thule has more "universal" clamps...
jogosub is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered User
 
jogosub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rolling Hills/PV-CA displaced in NW Florida.
Car: 2005 3.0 R LLBean 4Dr Wagon
Posts: 4,953
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker74 View Post
$199 is really low. What CUFT is yours? I am looking for one as well. The Subaru one is made by Thule and appears to be an Atlantis model from the shape of it
Yep - that is/was a good price. I had to cross the State line to get one for that price... local dealer wanted $ 360.... plus installation labor charges....
jogosub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome