oil filter / oil ? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question oil filter / oil ?

hi
where is the best place online to buy factory oil filters for 2013 Subaru outback?

are mobill 1 synthetic good to use for the new Subaru or do you recommend the Subaru owned brand oil?

thanks
jtkkz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

There are multiple online Subaru parts sources. You might try taking the best deal you find (shipping included) and see if your local dealer will match it. Some will, some won't.

Do you have the H4 (0w20)or H6(5w30) in your 2013?

Mobil1 is a pretty decent oil, although I personally prefer other oils that I can usually find at a better value.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

Quaker synthetic is popular from walmart for price/performance. I get my filters from ebay with the crush washer included.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i AT

Since you do your own oil changes, do yourself a solid and get yourself a fumoto valve. Makes the oil changes a lot easier. The only thing I have yet to get for my next change is something that allows me to crack open the filter without getting oil all over the place (i.e., some type of cup with a hole in the bottom).
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited, nav and moonroof

I'm very interested in proper lubrication of my new '13 H4. Though I have a maintenance package through my dealership, it's 80 miles away and there may be times I cannot get there for routine oil changes. Also, I prefer to shave the recommended maint intervals (thinking 5K for oil), so for these reasons I may end up doing some of the oil changes myself.

I was told at time of purchase that Subaru 0-20 syn is basically Mobil 1, developed jointly by Mobil and Subaru. Anyone know about this? Anything different about the Subaru brand, i.e. additive packages? Because of the distance to dealership it would be nice to obtain my oil locally.
treeman1899 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited with SAP and the fancy foot lighting inside and out

I used Subaruonlineparts.com and just got the twelve pack which comes with the crush washers. Great customer service from them. Also could not beat the Walmart $25 for 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0w-20.
autorot8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Subaru oil is not made by Mobil.

Any API SM or SN rated oil on the correct viscosity will do just fine for 5k.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth

I was able to get the dealer to honor an expired $20 off coupon for my 7500 mile service on our 2.5i Outback. They had also quoted me $20 lower as they forgot to configure the quote with synthetic oil so basically I was able to get the dealer service 7500 mile service for $75 which I did not think was too bad.

I plan to do my 15,000 mile service myself as its always cheaper to buy your own cabin filters and air filters (a big chuck of the money on the 15K service. Given that we have had snow and ice here I wasn't too much into laying on my back in the driveway, but will be into that in the summer when I need to get it serviced again.

Does anyone know about Royal Purple oil? Seemed like a good deal @ $42 for the 5 Qt container

Royal Purple 51020 API-Licensed SAE 0W-20 High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quart : Amazon.com : Automotive Royal Purple 51020 API-Licensed SAE 0W-20 High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil - 5 Quart : Amazon.com : Automotive
hiker74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue

^ I've seen the internal engine of a BMW M3 that used Royal Purple compared to the recommended Castrol TWS, and it wasn't a pretty picture. The Royal Purple engine was discolored and dark; the Castrol TWS nice and clean. So, IMHO...Royal Purple is to be avoided. YMMV.

R o b _D.
Current car: 2013 TB/BC Subaru Outback, 2.5i Premium 6mt
Before you start a new thread, please search first! Learn how here.
This is my Outback.
AO River is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Lots of good oil at less than $42/5 quarts.

Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Mobil1
Valvoline Synpower

etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: