FUSE to convert to FWD!!! - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 AM

Car: 2000 Outback 2.5lt Auto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I believe you need to disconnect the rear wheels to save damage to the auto transmission when being towed with the front wheels off the ground. This is not a problem with the manuals. Dont understand why the H6s get away with it though!

Wolster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Car: 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited
Quote:
Originally posted by ivwarrior
I don't know about newer Subies, but on the older stuff (90's) there's a capped fuseholder in a harness along the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle. The cap on the fuseholder is labeled FWD. (black holder, white letters, from what I recall) Open the cap, and pop in a fuse, and you're in front wheel drive mode. I don't know what rating of fuse you need, though.
I just got my '98 Outback Legacy Limited back from the shop (tranny overhaul), and it was still in FWD mode, so I went under the hood and pulled the fuse...it's a 25.

Joe Hilgeman

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy
Hi jshilge; quote: and it was still in FWD mode

Ok...that is not good news. With the FWD fuse removed, get to a dry parking lot and make some tight, slow turns. It should make the turns with little or no throttle. If it feels like the brakes are on, there is any binding/popping, that is not good.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:09 PM

Car: 2003 Outback Wagon H6 Anniversary Edition
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbowagon455
This is in my '03 H6 owner's manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flath6.jpg
Views:	8089
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	13410  
irHenry likes this.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Car: 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Okay, probably back from the dead on this one, but...is there an improved fuel mileage gain from running in FWD as opposed to AWD? I commute 50 miles a day, and while the weather is clear and sunny.. FWD would be fine if it ran me cheaper!
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP and 2002 3.0 L.L. Bean wagons.
Quote:
Originally posted by Duende
Okay, probably back from the dead on this one, but...is there an improved fuel mileage gain from running in FWD as opposed to AWD? I commute 50 miles a day, and while the weather is clear and sunny.. FWD would be fine if it ran me cheaper!
Nope, still has to haul the added weight of the AWD system, even if it is not being actively used.

Have you tried using the Google search bar at the top of the forum?

2003 Outback 2.5 wagon: "Kaylee". 161,000 and counting.
More rust than I care to think about. And leaking head gaskets. And electrical gremlins. Still flyin'.

2002 L.L. Bean Limited 3.0 Outback wagon: "Mal". 110,000 and counting.
Plenty of battle scars and fixing up the previous owner's neglect.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Car: 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Too bad. Thanks!
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwarrior View Post
I don't know about newer Subies, but on the older stuff (90's) there's a capped fuseholder in a harness along the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle. The cap on the fuseholder is labeled FWD. (black holder, white letters, from what I recall) Open the cap, and pop in a fuse, and you're in front wheel drive mode. I don't know what rating of fuse you need, though.

I had a similar problem, and couldn't find the fuse holder in either fuse panel (no owner's manual). I stuck a 20 amp. fuse in the holder on the harness just as you mentioned; FWD and no more shudder. It'll give us time to get it fixed. Thanks! Wouldn't have found it without you!
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy
Great glad you found it. They put it in different places on different generations. Afiak the AWD automatics always have them.

Old thread but right, using the FWD fuse gives zero fuel economy improvement. You still have all the friction and windage losses, rear axles turning, rear differential turning, propeller shaft turning, just more or less disengaged from the drive of the transmission.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Great glad you found it. They put it in different places on different generations. Afiak the AWD automatics always have them.

Old thread but right, using the FWD fuse gives zero fuel economy improvement. You still have all the friction and windage losses, rear axles turning, rear differential turning, propeller shaft turning, just more or less disengaged from the drive of the transmission.
It's only the 4-speed auto (4EAT) that uses this trick. The turbo & 6 cyl models had the 5-speed auto. The 5 speed has a center differential, so no fuse required to temporarily allow unequal wheel sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Performance Valve Body

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: