FUSE to convert to FWD!!! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Subaru enthusiast

Car: 2005 OB 2.5i AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation FUSE to convert to FWD!!!

Hi,

I had a question. Where do you find the fuse that 'converts' your AWD into a FWD (in case you change to the spare)?

I bought a Certified pre-owned from the dealer and I can't seem to find the fuse for the same.

How does it look in case it is around!!

Thanks.....J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Tokyo's between my toes

Car: 2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
IIRC you remove a fuse to de-activate a solenoid, and it only applies to automatic-trans drivetrains.

So I wouldn't know, I thrash a stick and stomp the clutch like it's a flaming bag on the front doorstep.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Legionairre

Car: 2005 Outback XT
Not sure what year/model you have, but looking in my owners manual for "flat tire" brought me to the correct area.

I have an 05 OBXT, so all info I'm providing is only relevant to that model as far as I know.

Page 9-4 of the manual
"Note - If your vehicle is an AWD type with an automatic transmission but is neither a turbo model nor a 3.0L model, deactivate its all wheel drive ...."

Basically it says you have to plug a fuse into the appropriate spot and the AWD warning light should come on, this means you are in FWD mode.

To find the fuse box, page 11-68 in the manual. The fuse you want, along with spares and a puller, are in the main fuse box. It's inside the engine compartment, right hand side (as you look in) just above the battery and below the strut mount.

To find the fuse, page 12-8 in the manual. The fuse box is shaped like a rectangle with a triangle attached to the bottom pointing down to the 4 o'clock position. When you open the fuse box look in the tip of the triangle, you should three rectangular boxes, nestled inside those boxes should be an open fuse socket. Plug that socket and your vehicle is in FWD, remember to check that the AWD warning light has lit up inside the compartment.

Hope that helps, I learned a bit looking it up atleast. :P

On a side note, why do turbo and 3.0L not need to put the vehicle into FWD mode when driving on a spare?
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:15 AM
IDK....my BFF Jill.......

Car: 2002 WRX MBP
I don't know about newer Subies, but on the older stuff (90's) there's a capped fuseholder in a harness along the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle. The cap on the fuseholder is labeled FWD. (black holder, white letters, from what I recall) Open the cap, and pop in a fuse, and you're in front wheel drive mode. I don't know what rating of fuse you need, though.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Subaru enthusiast

Car: 2005 OB 2.5i AT
So i need to '"buy" a fuse

that needs to go in that partucular spot. Isn't it?

I thought the fuse would be in the glove compartment of something.

BTW, i drive the 05 OB 2.5i AT.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:36 PM

Car: 2015 2.5i Outback Premium
Send a message via AIM to fnlyfnd
There should be a extra fuse in you underhood fuse box. Do yo have a manual, it will tell you everything.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Legionairre

Re: So i need to '"buy" a fuse

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerclaws
that needs to go in that partucular spot. Isn't it?

I thought the fuse would be in the glove compartment of something.

BTW, i drive the 05 OB 2.5i AT.

Thanks again.
From my original post "The fuse you want, along with spares and a puller, are in the main fuse box."

It doesn't mention what size fuse to put in, so I'm guessing any fuse will do the trick. It's just being used to close a circuit not protect one, atleast that's my guess.

If you don't have a manual, contact your dealership. It's not something you want to be trying to figure out while stuck on the roadside.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Just call me T. B. Player

Car: '06 OBS SE
Send a message via AIM to theletteri
i had to do this to my 06 OBS... it sucked because it was the first day on a trip to the sequoias in California and we were driving windy anmd dirt roads for 3 days in FWD. anyway... it was not hard to figure out. the fuse spot was in the fuse box under the ood on the drivers side. on the back of the box it has the key for what fuse does what and also in the lid there were 4 extra fuses. good luck with it... i now have a basket with a full size spair so i NEVER have to deal with that crap again. yay!

2006 Impreza Outback Sport SE, Team Dynamics 15" rims, Yakima basket, Piaa 520 driving lamps, full size spare, 2" suspension lift, 27" General Grabber AT2 tires, 9.1" ground clearance

~Jason
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Lord of ScoobyMods

Car: 01' OB Wagon / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
Just some info to consider
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vdc torque split.jpg
Views:	6320
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	11246  

Cheers,

Peaty

www.ScoobyMods.com
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Legionairre

Good to know.

From what I read in my manual however, you don't disable the AWD on 6cyl or turbo models when driving on a spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: