three car seats across? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default three car seats across?

Does anyone have experience with three car seats (one rear facing infant sear and two Forward facing) in an Outback 2013? I understand that the 2010, 2011 & 2012 models have similar rear hiproom.

Any info would help. We're deciding bw the 2014 Forester and the base model 2013 Outback.

Last edited by soontobethree; 05-13-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: trying to flag the Outback as we are leaning that direction
soontobethree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

OB is much larger than the Forester which shares the same exact platform as the new Impreza and XV. Too small for 3 across so scratch the Forester from the list.

I have two kids and we have run with three across in the Gen4 OB which we bought because our prior gen legacy was too narrow. Three across the rear seat is possible however some car seats are extra jumbo wide such as the Britax seats etc. Which I own.

Three across will also be difficult to load the center child. When we do haul three we put the oldest ie most mobile child center seat given they can crawl,climb into their seat on their own. Lifting a smaller child to the center seat in any vehicle over other car seats is an interesting feat for grandparents or wives who are not body builders. Especially as the kid gets heavier and larger yet still isn't capable of doing the climb over on their own.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Premium

There was a similar post a while ago (see my history to look for it). My neighbor has 3 kids, 5, 3 and 1. The youngest sits on a rear facing car seat, and the middle sits on a convertible. The oldest has a "Ride Safer" vest and sits in the middle. They drive a Honda CRV, and this works fine for them.

I have a 2013 OB and have two kids, 4 and new born. My 4 yr old sits on a convertible/booster. Sometimes I give the middle kid of my neighbor a ride with the vest on, and have him sit in the middle. It works fine as well.

(This vest is also convenient for a rental car when you travel.)

I also have a Combi car seat mentioned in the earlier post. Although it is made narrower than other seats so you can place 3 of them, it is made for a small age kid. I think my 4 yr old cannot fit anymore.
kobochi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: Little Red, 2000 Outback H4 "Limited"
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Look into a seat belt extender from somewhere like this Car Seat Belt Extenders to make it easier to get that middle seat in and buckled tightly enough.
DavidPeab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

We have a 2013 outback, no problem with three car seats. Middle is a convertible seat where I Velcro the seat buckle to the seat. The other two are locked in place via the latch systems. No problem.

We just turned the baby seat forward. Works great!
Masterwoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '06 OB 2.5i Limited, '06 Honda Ridgeline, BMW E36 daily queen

For your front facing car seats, look at the Diono Radian XT car seats. They are the slimmest and most comfortable car seats in the market. They have memory foam. You can easily fit 3 of them in the rear.
Evo2SubiOBL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback H4 5 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo2SubiOBL View Post
For your front facing car seats, look at the Diono Radian XT car seats. They are the slimmest and most comfortable car seats in the market. They have memory foam. You can easily fit 3 of them in the rear.
I easily fit two of these with a rear facing Peg Perego in the back of a Nissan Maxima (which has a narrower backseat that the Outback). They're pretty good seats (I prefer the Britax's) and with a latch and rear anchor, they're pretty easy to install. I put the rear facing in the middle, which can be a pain to get the kid in and out of, but it felt the safest.
arth33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2012 2.5i Prem., Manual & 2012 2.5i Limited, CVT

HI,

OK - so who else has done this 3 car seat across thing?

I looked up the Diono Radian XT child seats (mentioned above on this thread). They look nice.

My wife and I have been debating the pros and cons of 3-across, vs a car like the Tribecca, BMW X5, or Volvo XC90 - with a third row.

We are not really worried about seating 6-7 in a car. Only 3 kids. We are leaning toward keeping the OUTBACK (which we love) and having 3 seats across - because then when we went on a trip, we would still have a ton of storage space that the Outback provides, and lots of rear seat leg room.

Part of us feels like if you go with that third row, you would also be giving up half your cargo space - and we would now have to get a roof carrier for trips. But would the kids just be more comfortable in this set up and not so on top of each other on a long trip??

Thanks for all opinions........

FLAGG
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
HI,

OK - so who else has done this 3 car seat across thing?

I looked up the Diono Radian XT child seats (mentioned above on this thread). They look nice.

My wife and I have been debating the pros and cons of 3-across, vs a car like the Tribecca, BMW X5, or Volvo XC90 - with a third row.

We are not really worried about seating 6-7 in a car. Only 3 kids. We are leaning toward keeping the OUTBACK (which we love) and having 3 seats across - because then when we went on a trip, we would still have a ton of storage space that the Outback provides, and lots of rear seat leg room.

Part of us feels like if you go with that third row, you would also be giving up half your cargo space - and we would now have to get a roof carrier for trips. But would the kids just be more comfortable in this set up and not so on top of each other on a long trip??

Thanks for all opinions........

FLAGG
Flagg - third row vehicles like the Tribeca, Highlander, Landcruiser (< I had one) the third row doesn't work that well for long trips and car seats due to spacing between the 3rd row and the second. We had a cherry mint condition Landcruiser which is wider and bigger than the Tribeca by a large margin. We had to sell it and get a Sequoia for the real proper 3rd row seat which can sit adults and sits three across.

Our friends with the Volvo thing never use the 3rd row for anything but local town stuff when hauling other kids along with theirs across town etc. Same goes for the Highlander owners and the Pilot owners. We have lots of Sequoia's, Suburbans and minivans which get tasked with the road trip hauls where people are put in the 3rd row seat.

The 2010 and newer OB also offers a larger 2nd row seat than the Tribeca BTW. Major reason we did not get the Tribeca interior room was lousy.

When we do road trips with the kids in the back seat of the OB we also use the foot wells under their feet given they don't use them ;-)... We also use a narrow 30inch wide 7ft long roof box which almost doubles our trunk/gear packing space. I put two parents bikes on the 54inch yakima roof bars with the box between the bikes.

I think with three kids and road trips or camping trips you will eventually find that you need a small trailer to haul all the camping gear, bikes and toys - we have a 4x6 trailer we take camping. Even with the Sequoia we are using the trailer to pack our bikes and stuff for a week long vacation rental trip we are doing soon. Just easier to pack and we can take some fun stuff we would otherwise not have room for even in the sequoia.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback Premium 6MT

I'll second the thought that a third row in anything but a Suburban is pretty useless for road trips. Stop by your Honda dealer and look at the space behind the 3rd row with the seat up. Even if you only put the 40% side up its going to be a small storage space. Then you have to figure out how you are going to get junior into the 3rd row, if the 2nd row is taken up with latched or belted seats then you can't slide the seat forward. That will mean climbing over and getting shoe prints all over the headliner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: