Subaru Outback Forums banner

Turbo? 2005 Subaru Outback

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cardoc 
#1 ·
Hey, just wanted to see if there is any advice or past experiences on turbo'ing a 2005 Subaru Outback.

So in a nutshell, I'm sort of lame. I LOOOOVE the Subaru hood scoops on the turbo cars, but I can't swap a hood without having a turbo because that's just too "pimpish." I've been told by many mechanics that I would be better off buying a WRX STI but I see a lot of those cars out there, and I love the wagon.

Now the Outback I have is a naturally aspired 4-cylinder boxer with SOHC. It has a sport shift AT. So I've heard to turbo we'd be looking at placing am STI engine block in... already pricey and would need a custom ECM tune. While I might be all over that, apparently it would wreak havoc on the car since the transmission and pretty much the entire drivetrain wasn't meant to handle that power.

I would replace the transmission for a MT, but I like the automatic sport shift.

Has anyone ever turbo'd one of these cars and found a solution? In a nutshell, I'm looking at trying to add a turbo without modifying other components as much as possible... but also looking at reliability (as in, I don't want to have to look at maintenance every couple of months because the transmission wear, etc is too great).

See less See more
#2 ·
It a nutshell, what you ask in your last sentence can't easily be done.

It would be cheaper and more reliable to sell yours and buy an XT, before trying to upgrade yours into an XT piece by piece.

#4 ·
AVO Turboworld sells a "bolt on turbo kit" It is about $2100, it doesn't include: injectors, high flow fuel pump, or the necessary tune. This kit uses a front mounted intercooler, so the hood(scoop) from the XT (functional, top mounted intercooler)...still would not be functioning other than providing ambient cooler air to the engine compartment.

AVO Turboworld's products are extensively tested for "RELIABILITY". This would be the only system I would ever use if were my car.

Trying to "turbo" your car by other means would require extensive research and in the end would be a huge PITA.

It would be cheaper and more reliable to sell yours and buy an XT, before trying to upgrade yours into an XT piece by piece.
You would save money and wind up with something more reliable if you traded yours in for an XT.
Buy and XT or a Legacy GT if you like the "Big Wagon"

#5 ·
I think the prices went up... their online catalog shows the kit for $3400 today.

With their injectors & pump that's $3958.00 before shipping, installation labor or tuning costs.

From the rough numbers they show, the power would be close to an XT. It would be fun to build one, but it would be cheaper to find a dealer with an XT and swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.