Subaru Outback Forums banner

2006 Auto trans issue (Can't catch up at stop...)

741 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jazzybeats 
#1 ·
Ok so first off this is not my car, but my (future) brother in-laws 2006 2.5 OB auto. I have looked it up and do not believe it is the axle issue, this is what he says...
"When I come to a complete stop the car starts shaking but if I put it into neutral it stops, it feels like the tranny is trying to catch up, but the rpm's don't change at all, sometimes it is really bad, and sometimes not at all. Temperature of car is not a factor, nor is the outside temp."

I asked him the temp questions just trying to get a feel, if it could be MAF, or IAT. He just purchased the car about a month ago, so I would suggest plugs just cause you have no idea when they were done last...
I hate autos and don't know how to diagnose problems (Especially over the phone) please help! If more info is needed I will pass it along- Thanks in advance for any help/ suggestions.

#2 ·
no change in rpms?

has he had an axle changed recently? Sometimes, a rebuilt (or I suppose a worn) axle will cause this exact symptom, some vibration when sitting at a stop in gear. The vibration goes away in neutral or park.

#3 ·
What happens if he starts the engine and puts the transmission in D (brake on)? Does it shake then, or only after the car has actually been driven and slowed to a stop? (I'm wondering if the lock up on the torque converter isn't releasing fully.)

It's a used car, in possession only a month, probably with an unknown maintenance history and no indication, at least not yet, of the mileage. A bad replacement axle is certainly a possibility, but it could also be many others. I think we need more details about the symptom, and some numbers (e.g. rpms and vehicle speed when the vibration appears).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.