How long can I drive with leaky rack and pinion ? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: Outback 2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How long can I drive with leaky rack and pinion ?

As you can see in this thread
What is this red fluid at exhaust Y joint?
a dealer declared that my OB 2000's rack and pinion unit is leaking its fluid. The leak is not very severe since the dealer's mechanic has to add a dye to identify where the leak is from. Although the dealer recommended replacement of the rack and pinion, a local independent mechanic recommended to drive as it is rather than replacing the unit immediately.

I would try a stop-leak additive as some members suggested. I would also monitor the fluid level often.

How long should I be able to drive my car in this condition? A few months, a year, or even a few years? Should I feel comfortable driving it for hundreds of miles from home? When should I decide to replace the unit?

How does the unit break at the end of life? Will I lose control of the wheels and it's very dangerous? Or is it like the power steering stops helping me to steer but I should still be able to turn the wheels? Will I have long enough period of bad noise before it completely dies?

One of the lubber covers was torn but the independent mechanic didn't suggest to replace that either. Is it OK? It's not as vital as the CV joint cover that needs replacement?
tk94110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2007, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

technically it is already at the end of its life, albeit prematurely. It all depends upon how you feel about leaks. Once it starts leaking bad enough that it gets on the exhaust system thats too much.

What will happen is that you might loose your power boost. the car will be harder to steer, but controlable. If you want a hint of what it feels like, go someplace mepty, get the car up to 10-20 mph, shut off the engine in neutral and steer the car someplace. This is generally a good thig to know anyway.

If it gets to the point where you have no boost in the morning, the rack is shot.

If you have to add fluid every day, thats shot. It just depends where your threshold is on the fluid.

You can get a used rack, if the additive doesn't work, they are fairly easy to install.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 09 C63 AMG, The OBS has a new home.
Default How Long

How long you can continue driving with the leaky rack is anyone's guess. Sounds like your mechanic has already given you a plan. Just stick with him through his plan. Eventually, he will sort it out for you.

How long can you tolerate a drip puddle under your car, on your favorite driveways, not to mention the blow back mess it will create underneath the car to the rear bumper?

I would say indefinitely as long as you frequently check the leak rate, and reservoir level.

I am an advocate of giving it some time to seat in, like your mechanic suggested. Maybe there is some sort of possibility this will happen and magically repair itself. (PFM)

Worse case scenario, it completely fails and you finally get it fixed. In the mean time, you can continue to nurse it.

Good luck!
lomita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Paladin

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5i

Like I said in the last note, I have a leaky one on a Volvo and it has been going for five years and almost 100,000 miles so far. Just keep up with the fluid and replace the rack when replacing fluid begins to take too much time away from what you want to do with your life. Many cars go to the junkyard with leaky power steering racks.
WtMtns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: Outback 2000

Thank you everybody for the reply.

So the death of the rack & pinion is a slow, gradual one with increased speed of the leak; it will not be a sudden death, as long as I monitor the fluid level regularly. Do I understand it correctly?
tk94110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Quote:
Originally posted by tk94110
Thank you everybody for the reply.

So the death of the rack & pinion is a slow, gradual one with increased speed of the leak; it will not be a sudden death, as long as I monitor the fluid level regularly. Do I understand it correctly?
For a subaru, yes, for a GM (or anyone else) it is completley different.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: