Check Engine Light On And Flashing Cruise Light Too - Page 4 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #31 (permalink)

Car: 2008 LL Bean Outback Wagon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally posted by larocjj

Remember people with 2009 Outback 3.0R --

LOOSE GAS CAP CAUSES: the following.....

Check engine light to come on.....
The cruise control light will blink.....
the cruise controls will be disabled....
The car will lock into the Sport mode...
The sport mode indicators on the dash will blink...
And the vehicle stabilty light to the left of the check engine light
will also come on ...and I believe it is disabiled as well....

Hopefully no more loose gas cap.....

I just pick up a new but leftover LL Bean 2008 2 months ago to save a few $$. Same thing happened to me, at the 2830 mile mark, with the addition of transmission being electronically locked out. All while approaching the 10 lane toll plaza on I90. Not happy. Car was running came off the break to give it some gas and zip. There was a "--" where the "D" should be and all the idiot one could take.

I quickly summarized that I need to reboot my car and quickly turn on the hazards and stop/started the car. Got my restarted and back to the dealer and they said the transmission computer needed an update. Anyone else experience the transmission lockout with an H6?? ... I hope nap time is over and someone is listening because I think my car is running MS Windoze{:-).
bkilcoyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #32 (permalink)
I :heart: SUBARU

Car: '00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy

haha yes with the number of 'updates' and 'reflashes' coming out for modern vehicles you would think they might be running windoze. You know in the future the vehicle's computers will connect to the internet and obtain updates automatically hhaha which will open up a whole 'nother set of interesting things.

This link might work, it's for 2008 Outback bulletins issued, there's a couple reprogramming things listed for transmissions. You can't view the actual document without subscribing but if you click the little ? mark at the left of the file it will at least tell you a little bit about it. http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/ixSe...rd=&bulletin=3
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 04:48 AM   #33 (permalink)
OBXT Moderator

Car: 2005 Outback XT Limited MT

Happened to me once. Orange "Check Engine" light went on. Green "Cruise" light began to blink.

You know what I did? I pulled over, took out the manual, read where it said this could happen if the gas cap is loose. Checked the gas cap. It was off. I put it back on and tightened securely.

The lights stayed on.

I checked the manual again when I got home. It said the light may stay on for a couple of drives. It did.

Then the lights went away.

Don't you just hate it when the manual is right?

p.s. A Smith and Wesson beats four aces.
Mudge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #34 (permalink)
xTT
Recruit

Car: 06 Outback XT

Hi,

I've had this happen a couple of times with my 06 Outback XT. After a $140 tow to the dealer, the head of the service shop (at the time) found a service bulletin about this.

A kind soul posted the service bulletins, and here is a link to the one about this problem:
www.thel7.com/TSB/11-81-06.pdf

Hope this helps,
Trisha
xTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #35 (permalink)
Cynic at large

Car: 05 OBXT-L 5MT, BSM/OGP

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudge
Happened to me once. Orange "Check Engine" light went on. Green "Cruise" light began to blink.

You know what I did? I pulled over, took out the manual, read where it said this could happen if the gas cap is loose. Checked the gas cap. It was off. I put it back on and tightened securely.

The lights stayed on.

I checked the manual again when I got home. It said the light may stay on for a couple of drives. It did.

Then the lights went away.

Don't you just hate it when the manual is right?
Mine did not turn off after a few drives. It only went away when I dumped $100 on an OBD2 scanner and cleared the code myself.

Good thing I have it now... I just threw a code the other day for Cyl #2 misfire. Hope it doesn't come back.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #36 (permalink)

Default Blinking cruise, rough engine

I noticed many are like me, new owners of their Subarus. I to had filled up about an hour before (for the first time). I had just bought a 2007 XT a few hours before. The cruise started blinking, check engine, and lost power to the accelerator. It gave me enough RPMs to find a safe place to pull over. After pushing real hard and tightening the gas cap and turning the car off and on 3 or 4 times. No more problems. I have owned many cars and never had this prob before. I love my new Subaru, but this is a major design flaw, IMO.
Panthster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 04:59 AM   #37 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5

The dealer actually took my H6 back and replaced it with my present 2.5, as they could not sort out the fault that bkilcoyne describes.
After 2 months of trying to find it, the head mechanic started checking part numbers and found that my Outback had a Legacy Control box and this was causing the hassle.
I am very happy with my 2.5, so decided to let them keep the h6 and sell it to somebody else...
2011 Diesel Outback
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
The uber nerd

Car: 08 2.5i

The oil change place left my MAF sensor unplugged when they were checking the air filter, this caused the CEL to come on and the cruise light to start flashing. Reconnect MAF, reset ECU (see disconnect negative battery terminal for 10-15 minutes), issue resolved
MK19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #39 (permalink)

I am having issues with the check engine light on and the cruise control blinking which disables this functions. Pep boys explained that the error code was a catalytic converter code. After some many starts of the car it corrects itself. Then after a few months it hasd been going in an out of the same check engine light and blinking cruise control. any on have any leads. Catalytic converter is fine and can't seem to figure out the problem.
jakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #40 (permalink)

Gas cap was one possible issue as stated in the manual but unless I have a faulty gas cap I turn the cap until is tight. Usually it dose happen when after I fill up with gas.
jakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: