fuel Pump problem - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Recruit

Car: original owner of a 97 Legacy Outback. engine rebuilt at 122K currently at 202K
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy fuel Pump problem

1997 legacy outback

Symptoms:
Engine turns, spark present, No signs of combsustion at the exhaust pipe. I listen for the sound of the fuel pump at the fuel tank filler and hear nothing. Book says check the fuel pump and main relay, but I can't find them .

Are Relays behind the fuse box?
If so how do you remove the fuse box?
If not where are the realys?

Thanks for listening?

Norman Vincent Peale
mralby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

People always go for the easiest yet wrong answer.

You have a crank postion sensor and a cam position sesnor. The cam controls fuel injection timing. The crank controls spark. You need to get a mutli meter (analog) with an AC input and test the cam sensor while the engine is cranking. If there is no heartbeat, then thats why you have no fuel. Get yourself a haynes manual as it will explain the test. Fuel pumps do go bad, but thats the last thing that should be suspected, as they dont go bad often.

Another possability is a bad engine temp sesnor. Those three sensors can keep the car from starting if one is bad. They are the most common reason for no start on a computer controled car.

You can access the fuel pump from the plate in the floor of the car opposit the gas fill side (i think its that side). You should be able to feel it running when you turn the car on, as it is a constant on system (I do beleive).

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

^^Well listening for the fuel pump building pressure when the key is turned on (but not start) should be one of the first things to check like he stated. Crank sensors and such mean nothing until the engine is cranking, but if you hear no fuel pump...

Brian
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: