Subaru Outback Forums banner

Replacing an alternator on an Outback

34K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ANDREW? 
#1 ·
How difficult of a task is it to replace an alternator on a 2002 Outback?

#2 ·
Changing the Alternator is a pretty straight forward job.
You could pick up a Haynes Repair manual Subaru Outbacks at an auto supply store, but if you're comfortable changing the oil on your car, I'd think you could handle swapping out your alternator.

First you'll need to loosen the alternator belt. By marking the adjustment screw with a felt pen you won't have a problem getting the belt to the correct tension (if the belt was correctly tensioned to start with). Then you remove two electrical connections- one plug-in and one with a nut (10mm?). Next you have to remove the metal belt guard. The alternator is held in place with two bolts. Be careful with the right bolt (looking from the front of the car), there is a nut in back that can drop down into the engine if you're not careful. Other than that, the old unit lifts right out and the new unit goes right in.

Of course I'm recounting this from memory, so I may not be 100% accurate, but it really is an easy job.

Hope this helps.

Bill

#4 ·
Rob,
Right as my alternator was going bad I started to get some strange dash warning lights. The Battery warning light and the brake warning light both came on at once. Later, when I really knew the alternator was going belly up, the ABS light came on.

Try doing a quick search on the site and you should find a few threads that will help. I know that I had previously found some and I had posted a thread about rebuilding an alternator.

I'm by no means an alternator expert, but I'd first confirm the alternator itself is whining..It could be a pulley for the accessory belt. If the alternator is whining, a bearing is probably going bad and I'd suggest obtaining a rebuilt unit and replacing it sooner than later. Because all too often, later ends up being on the side of the road...at night...in the middle of nowhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

#5 ·
"Right as my alternator was going bad I started to get some strange dash warning lights. The Battery warning light and the brake warning light both came on at once. Later, when I really knew the alternator was going belly up, the ABS light came on."

this just happen happened to me this morning on my 2001 outback 3.0 215K miles
my check engine light has been on for a few weeks, wonder if that was telling me my alt. was going out?
gonna get a jump and try to drive this sucker 27 miles to my house after work, then test the alternator and pull it. drop it off at the rebuild shop in the morning. if everything goes as planned i should be back on the road by friday.

Peace out,
John

#7 ·
Don't forget about the two belts that you'll have to re-fit into the pulleys. 1. AC compressor belt. 2. Alternator belt. You'll need to first loosen the AC tensioner pulley by turning the tensioner bolt in the correct direction, attach and fit the AC Belt which is located behind the drive belt (aka the alternator belt) into the pulley grooves, then tighten that tensioner by turning the bolt in the opposite direction. At this point you'll attach and fit the second belt (drive or alternator belt) 😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.