Front end squeak - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2001 Outback Wagon LL Bean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rocksnap Send a message via Yahoo to rocksnap
Default Front end squeak

I have a 2001 Outback wagon with 130K miles that has a front end squeak/creak (more than a rubber squeak) that is getting worse. It happens when the car goes up and down on the suspension and turning. All this can happen while the car is stopped and/or off, parked. You can really feal it when the car is parked/off while holding onto the suspension spring and have someone bounce the front left corner up and down.

This leads me to the steering tie-rod joint but I guess it could be a control arm ball joint. I have done a lot of work on other brand cars but not a Subi yet. Is there a common failure part on these I should be focusing on?

Thanks!
rocksnap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

It can be a bad/blown strut. It can be the bearing on top of the strut. It is possible its a ball joint or a tie rod end, but those are not common to go bad on subarus.

How many times the corner of the car bounce after you push hard on the bumper?

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default squeak

Quote:
Originally posted by nipper
It can be a bad/blown strut. It can be the bearing on top of the strut. It is possible its a ball joint or a tie rod end, but those are not common to go bad on subarus.

How many times the corner of the car bounce after you push hard on the bumper?

nipper
Car seams pretty steady when it is pushed. No bounce to speak of. Is there some kind of bearing on top of the strut? I have been a back yard mechanic for the last 25 plus years and have done a bunch of work on cars/systems but have never heard of that but I am new to Subi's. It is cold and raining today so I havn't crawled under yet to look at it in depth.

I can change out whatever it is but just need to figure that out.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 03-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Your due for struts.

Yes there is a top-hat bearing on top of the strut (if there wasnt the wheels wouldnt turn). Spray wd40 on one part at a time, then bounce the car. The squeek will change when you spray the right part. this includes the Strut shaft.

nipper
Old 03-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default squeak

Quote:
Your due for struts.

Yes there is a top-hat bearing on top of the strut (if there wasnt the wheels wouldnt turn). Spray wd40 on one part at a time, then bounce the car. The squeek will change when you spray the right part. this includes the Strut shaft.

nipper
Like I said, new to Subies. Now I have to wait for a dry day to try the WD-40 thing. I do have access to an auto hobby shop. Lifts, strut spring compressor etc. If it is the strut, what is the cheapest/best way to fix them? Is there a rebuild kit or just as good to buy a whole assy spring and all?

And form the sound of things, if it is the strutand/or top hat, it does not sound too critical to have it fixed right away or I can get away with fixing it in a month or so? I can chase down parts on here.

Thanks nipper!

Kyle
Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If its struts I would recomend all 4 at a cost of about 245.00 for a set of GR2's (thats what I paid). The car may handle a bit a bit odd if you do just two, with the AWD.

When my strut blew, It bounced fine, but long right hand sweeps at high speeds had me talking to God a lot.

If its the tophat, you replace them with the struts, as they sit on top of the strut. This is not an uncommon arrangement.

Blu needed a ball joint at 210,000 miles, thats how tough the front end parts are.

It may just as simple as a dried out bushing too.

But over 100,000 miles, struts start showing thier age, and usually by 180,000 they need replacing.

nipper
Old 03-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default struts

Quote:
If its struts I would recomend all 4 at a cost of about 245.00 for a set of GR2's (thats what I paid). The car may handle a bit a bit odd if you do just two, with the AWD.

When my strut blew, It bounced fine, but long right hand sweeps at high speeds had me talking to God a lot.

If its the tophat, you replace them with the struts, as they sit on top of the strut. This is not an uncommon arrangement.

Blu needed a ball joint at 210,000 miles, thats how tough the front end parts are.

It may just as simple as a dried out bushing too.

But over 100,000 miles, struts start showing thier age, and usually by 180,000 they need replacing.

nipper
Ok nipper, I give.

Been looking up struts for this 2001 LL Bean Outback H6 and all I have found is the OEM units. May I ask for a name/link for the GR2's you mentioned? Not that this car needs super high performance, it does not. But might as well look at something as good or better.
Thanks,
Kyle
Old 03-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: struts

Quote:
Originally posted by rocksnap

Ok nipper, I give.

Been looking up struts for this 2001 LL Bean Outback H6 and all I have found is the OEM units. May I ask for a name/link for the GR2's you mentioned? Not that this car needs super high performance, it does not. But might as well look at something as good or better.
Thanks,
Kyle
And I guess it would be a good idea to replace the top hat at the same time. Looks like an additional expense...

Kyle
Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Paladin

Car: 2007 Outback 2.5i

Before you pull apart everything and get into expensive repairs, I would start by take apart the swaybar bushings and use some marine grease on them. My 2007 is beginning to squeak going over frost heaves and I plan to do mine as soon as it gets warmer. The marine grease works great because the salty slush cannot wash it off. Make sure you wear gloves when you do it because nothing will wash that grease off your hands.
WtMtns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294967264+9313

They are a bit more money for your car then for Blu.

This is the strut mount

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...294967264+9249

But like i siad, trace down the squeek first.

nipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: