1998 Impreza Outback Sport; how to remove instrument panel? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 1998 Impreza Outback Sport; how to remove instrument panel?

2.2L engine. Hi Folks. I am having trouble removing the instrument cluster from the dash... i have already removed the plastic trim that is around the inside of the gauges along with the four screws that secure the cluster in the dash. The cluster is loose... yet, it does not seem to want to come out of the dash where i can get access to the back of the cluster.

Primary problem is the speedometer/odometer stopped working. So, i intend on inspecting the wiring harness and connections. How can i get better access to the back of the panel. It seems as thought the wires may be to tight to allow for the cluster to pull out more than an inch or three.

Thank you for looking into this for me. If you have any viable suggestions, they will be appreciated.
Mister Blu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & a Outback Sedan 2.5 LTD
Lightbulb

It sound like you got one more fastener, ...or something has to be pride apart that you feel like it is going to break if you do.

I was just looking for a schematic for you, the JDM free service manuals websites seem to be out of order. So I came up short.

Someone on this board might have a DIY.

But one of the impreza board or the ultimate subaru board might have one better.

North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club
Old 02-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Eagle Eye... it does not seem to be a fastener. Although it does feel as though if i pull any harder on the cluster body, i might rip a wire out. As it is, i can barely get a finger behind it, let alone an eye. Schematics will prove useful.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Here are some pics of a 2004 legacy outback, might give you some vague clue as to where they would be on a 1998 impreza outback sport.

Maybe even on the forester board, for a dash more similar.

I wonder if there is a fastener or a wire connector that you have to separate with a tool like a pair of needle nose pliers, and do it blind.

I would even try on youtube searching for subaru DIY's with the closest dash panels to yours.

Hope your old outback sport is good on gas !! (my legs are too long to really want one).

Replacing lights on the instrumet cluster
Old 02-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do i need to disconnect the wire harness in order to remove the instrument panel?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is fair to middling with regards to the gas mileage. Not much leg room, that's for sure.

Why do you mention mpg... is there a problem with o/b sports that i ought to know about?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Blu View Post
It is fair to middling with regards to the gas mileage. Not much leg room, that's for sure.

Why do you mention mpg... is there a problem with o/b sports that i ought to know about?
Never touched one in the early vintage, under the dash or over it.

Just recently Been reading about many 2.2 liter 5 speed Subaru lately and how much people like them in the snow. I see the 1998 2.2 outback sport got 27 highway with a stick. (...wonder if its actually better than that). Might buy one and fix it up. (might)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Local Skater is still active at the impreza forum, and asked the same question you did.

Removing gauge cluster in 96? - NASIOC

This thread has a pic of the back.

97 Impreza gauge cluster - NASIOC
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

THanks eagleeye. Yeah, my little outback is just that... 2.2L 5-speed. i really like a manuel subaru. Great in the snow so long as the right tires are on there... and presuming they are not bald. Regarding highway miles, i get between 27 and 33mpg.

i will take a look at the threads you supplied. Again, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: